Klipsch image s4i sucks big time
Oct 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 43

Quote:
Everybody has different expectations from an IEM, but the S4 surely does not deserve the attention that it garners. I really consider them overrated, and at their price can find far better. But, I did find the fit very good, and nozzle is angled just right and the tips fit REALLY well. 

What would you consider FAR better for at most, $80?

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 43
If you are looking for a more neutral, less bassy sound signature, supposedly the Maximo iMetal 590 are good for $50.  I have tried a ton of IEM's in the sub-$100 range and continue to go back to the S4 for their unrivaled comfort, great isolation, and arguably great sound quality.  I say arguably because on Head-Fi, many critics of the S4 have their own personal preferences and have certain expectations of IEM's, and when a certain IEM does not reach their expectations or does not fit their criteria for excellence, they become "overrated."  It is easy to forget just how subjective hearing actually is.  One person's "overrated" IEM's can easily be another's favorite.  Objectively, the S4 are not trash, they simply have a particular sound signature that some will like, others will not.  Why is this so hard to understand for some people?  

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #19 of 43
Anyone buying these headphones expecting top quality sound will be disappointed. But then they aren't pretending to provide that. For their price they're not a bad set of phones...

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
Everybody has different expectations from an IEM, but the S4 surely does not deserve the attention that it garners. I really consider them overrated, and at their price can find far better. But, I did find the fit very good, and nozzle is angled just right and the tips fit REALLY well. 

Agreed, except attention is born from peoples expectations being met or not, just because someone likes a fireplace in the winter doesn't mean that I do. But this personally wouldn't fit into the 'main phone category' maybe the use on the train, plane category but that's about it. Good bass amount, recessed mids, harsh treble. The signature is nice slightly detailed providing okay instrument separation, okay imaging. Soundstage is average, these are not bad but I feel as if there not good. But for other ears these might be good.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 43

Quote:
Interesting.  For me, I love their sound.  What didn't work was their fit (large tips were too small).

Yeah it is interesting, but then also common sense nobody has the same ears.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 43
Bloated bass - yes, recessed mids - probably but I find them to be acceptable, harsh treble - no way. IMO the highs are slightly rolled off - this coming from a person who finds the highs in M50 to be piercing. These don't reproduce the sound faithfully but have a enjoyable non fatiguing sound signature imo. After burn in, they sound very good for their price.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 43
agree with proteinpig. The sound is very enjoyable after about a weeks burn in, nice wide imaging. Great isolation. Not very revealing at all compared to high end cans like HD600 but nice bass and fun enjoyable phones. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 43
Are there any sub-$100 options that have more up-front mids?  I always read criticisms of the S4's recessed mids, but I am still uncertain as to what this actually sounds like versus a similar IEM with non-recessed mids.  I imagine that with a bassy sound signature like the S4's, the mids will be much more recessed than that of the RE0, for instance ... yes?  If this is correct, does that mean that guitars and vocals have more noticeable punch?  Maybe "punch" isn't the right word I am looking for here. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 43

JoeyRusso said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you inserting them deep enough in your ear canal? They are not supposed to just sit in your ear. Try a smaller tip and twist and push them into your ear canal a little deeper. It'll help if you use one hand to pull your ear lobe back and away from your head a little. That opens up your ear canal. If your seal is bad, they will sound horrible, but with a good deep seal they sound quite good. Hope that helps.

Many thanks to your description! Now I understand more about it.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 43
Borg, use the smallest ear piece (has 2 sheaths on it) and placing the headphone in your ear with the cable down, twist forward and inwards. I go over the ear with the cabling cause otherwise gravity just pulls the earphones down and out. At any other angle then this and the headphones either lose some or most of the bass, and high sounds get a nasty resonance sound.

These have been my first set of quality earbuds and they def make me go through a dance to put them on.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
If you are looking for a more neutral, less bassy sound signature, supposedly the Maximo iMetal 590 are good for $50.  I have tried a ton of IEM's in the sub-$100 range and continue to go back to the S4 for their unrivaled comfort, great isolation, and arguably great sound quality.  I say arguably because on Head-Fi, many critics of the S4 have their own personal preferences and have certain expectations of IEM's, and when a certain IEM does not reach their expectations or does not fit their criteria for excellence, they become "overrated."  It is easy to forget just how subjective hearing actually is.  One person's "overrated" IEM's can easily be another's favorite.  Objectively, the S4 are not trash, they simply have a particular sound signature that some will like, others will not.  Why is this so hard to understand for some people?  

..............X2.

In another another thread UE500 vs S4............the UE500's were more liked than the S4's.  I thought the UEs sounded awful with my Clip+.  Like you said............some find this hard to understand.  LOL

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 43
hmmmm, I had the Creative EP-630's once due to all the positive things people were saying about them and in my opinion, pardon my French but they were, how do you say? crap!!!

I had got them for my train ride and I just went back to the wonderful Koss KSC-35 and dealt with the train noise with increased volume. I have heard the S4 and they both shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, the S4 are leagues ahead.

I have heard the S4's with thousands of hours of burn-in at Yodobashi and they sounded pretty descent, sure they didn't sound anywhere near how my SM3 sounds but I thought they were good for the price.

My advice, like others are suggesting is to burn em in, especially since they are dynamics.
They may grow on you!
I thought my GRADO SR-80 sucked when I first got them many years ago, they were my first Audiophile type headphones, after a couple of weeks I was loving them and hearing things I've never heard before.

Give the S4 time!

And Happy Listening!
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back