Klipsch Image S4 Issues
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lupusarcanus

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So, around 3 weeks ago I bought myself the Klipsch Image S4 IEM's from Newegg after reading many reviews on all sorts of websites after my Sennheiser CX 475 IEM's from Best Buy broke. I tried all three included ear tips and the default medium ear tips seemed to fit and feel pretty good, if not a tad big. I tried both fit styles and liked the normal way best. After reading all the reviews of these, most people seemed to agree that around 50% was the optimum volume, and that these particular IEM's are quite loud. But when I put them on, I have to turn it up to around 80% to hear my music as loud as I like, and even then I am tempted to crank the volume a bit more to enjoy it. I've never been diagnosed with hearing loss, and in everyday life I rarely have problems with hearing things, yet oddly enough I have the same volume issue with my Sennheiser HD 428 S. I watch my TV at a fairly low volume with no problems. Anyway, I had originally bought the Sennheiser CX 475 to replace my HD 428 S, and I was actually pleased with them. They got tremendously loud, and at 80% those would've hurt my ear, Another thing about the CX 475 was the bass. Man, the bass was out of this world on those. Completely and utterly awesome. The only issue I noticed with the CX 475 was that sometimes the bass would bleed into the mids and make the mids sound muddy (very noticeable playing The Hives). The highs on the CX 475 were almost as good as the bass, crystal clear but not too bright. The Klipsch on the other hand, has weak bass. Maybe I am a basshead, I don't really know, but in songs like Linkin Park - Wretches and Kings, I want the bass to really shine. But with the Klipsch the bass is underwhelming. My last issue with the Klipsch is the fatiguing highs. Listening to Avril Lavigne, sometimes the highs get so bright it makes me cringe a little bit. When wearing the Klipsch I always find myself critiquing the sound quality and adjusting the volume. Anyway, I wasn't sure what I should do. I can't take these back, so if they are truly just 'not for me' I'd have to sell them somewhere. Maybe they are just not fitting right? To be honest, I would've preferred the CX 475 if they hadn't broke after only 2 months of use. What do you guys think?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
. My last issue with the Klipsch is the fatiguing highs. Listening to Avril Lavigne, sometimes the highs get so bright it makes me cringe a little bit. When wearing the Klipsch I always find myself critiquing the sound quality and adjusting the volume. Anyway, I wasn't sure what I should do. I can't take these back, so if they are truly just 'not for me' I'd have to sell them somewhere. Maybe they are just not fitting right? To be honest, I would've preferred the CX 475 if they hadn't broke after only 2 months of use. What do you guys think?

same problem with my S4, very bright and sibilant. It is a lousy sounding IEM.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 6
you need to let these burn in for a while to get the best sound.  when i had them, i let them burn for almost a week.  they sounded nothing like what they did day 1.  tamed highs, less bass bleed.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 6
+1 for the cx 475's! I LOVE mine. i have had mine for about 2 months and i just bought some comply t400 tips and they sound better than ever. at 40 bucks i was very pleased with the quality. i use them at work everyday in a oil and metal shavings soaked factory and they are rugged little guys. they take all the abuse i put out.shoving them into my pocket, or into my lunch bag and even got snagged on things a few times.. still good as new!!! i love these iem's. i do wish the mids were better also the soundstage was bigger... 

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Same concerns with me tooo...with some players the sound gets worse but in some its the best..so not able to really judge. Adjusting equalizer in some cases gets out the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back