Klipsch image one on-ear mini-review
Nov 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #91 of 126

Quote:
I would stick with either the MS300 or MS400.  Again, depends on what kind of music you listen to and what kind of headphones you are looking for.  Both are portable cans but the MS300 is smaller and it has more emphasis on the mids and highs from what I remember.  Take a look at the review below from a fellow head-fier:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501812/phiaton-ms300-review-a-portable-grado

For a Stereophile MS400 review see below:
http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/phiaton_moderna_ms_400_headphones/

I do remember the MS400 being a bit more laid back and having more emphasis on the lower mids and low spectrums.  Personally, since I listen to all types of music and like a nice bass punch when the music calls for it, I would go for the MS400.  But if you listen to classical and rock more, perhaps the MS300 is a better choice.  Either way, they are both stunningly beautiful headphones.

Huh, but what about the PS 320? A lot of people liked the dual drivers.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #92 of 126

Uh....just to save my ass.....lemme put down the quintessential "IMHO" mark here =)
To each his own.
But ma own ears tell me 238 are balanced with a touch of classy warmth, while the Klipsch seeks to impress (and maybe too much) with its noticeably overwhelming bass.

Again, IMHO.

Bwahahaha.
Quote:
Wow.  that's surprising to hear.  The 238 in my opinion is such a muddy, dark, non  detailed headphone.  to hear that they devestate the Klipsch is really a very bad sign for Klipsch. 
Quote:
Oh yah, and i forgot to add: Senns HD-238 COMPLETELY DEVASTATES....... DEVASTATOR!!

Er...sorry I mean DEVASTATES the Klipsch!!!

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #93 of 126
lol.  Yep, you always have to use the IMHO disclaimer!  I should have noted that I also don't use amps when listening to headphones.....well at least 99 percent of the time I don't.  I'm far to active to lug around equipment and can't stand shoving banded together electronics in my pockets.  So when I say those things about the 238, that is unamped.  Now they are not nearly as dark when you attach them to an amp.  I ended up giving my 238's to my 12-year old.  They have since turned into a mile of tattered cords and pads....basically being rendered useless. 

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to hear the Klipsch yet.  My local Apple store has had them for just about 3 weeks but can't seem to get one out of the box and plugged into a display unit yet.  Sigh.......  but if a lot of people would consider the Klipsch worse than the 238 there's no chance I would ever get them.  Sure would love to give them a listen though!! 

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #94 of 126
Thought I'd chime in. I'm typing this from the Apple Store, and note that this is in no way a fair comparison as there were only two tracks on the iPhone I was familiar with. However, I do also own HD25 and ESW9.

Unfortunately, I think the Image One is at a level below my other supra-aural headphones. It doesn't have the detail of the HD25s, nor the precise imaging and resolving power of the ESW9s. Soundstage was surprisingly good; better than HD25 at least, but imaging was so-so. Most noticeably, and as people have been saying here, the Image Ones have overpowering bass. Maybe the ones here aren't burned in enough, but I can't help but think it just gets in the way. The EQ was flat but there's still a huge midbass hump. The mids were fine, although I didn't listen to them much, but the high frequencies were somewhat distant. And the build quality is nowhere near the HD25s. It feels kind of creaky, and I doubt the plastic is as thick. They are, however, just as comfortable. The Image Ones are a good effort by Klipsch, but I don't think they're the best value at their price. Better than Beats Solo, yes, but not better than HD25. 

That being said, though, this was all from a few minutes at the Apple Store. So it's definitely not a final or absolute opinion. But seeing as I had the opportunity to try these, I figured I'd just chime in. Lastly, I have no bias against Klipsch. In fact, I rather liked the X5s and X10s, which I've tried before.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 126

Quote:
Thought I'd chime in. I'm typing this from the Apple Store, and note that this is in no way a fair comparison as there were only two tracks on the iPhone I was familiar with. However, I do also own HD25 and ESW9.

Unfortunately, I think the Image One is at a level below my other supra-aural headphones. It doesn't have the detail of the HD25s, nor the precise imaging and resolving power of the ESW9s. Soundstage was surprisingly good; better than HD25 at least, but imaging was so-so. Most noticeably, and as people have been saying here, the Image Ones have overpowering bass. Maybe the ones here aren't burned in enough, but I can't help but think it just gets in the way. The EQ was flat but there's still a huge midbass hump. The mids were fine, although I didn't listen to them much, but the high frequencies were somewhat distant. And the build quality is nowhere near the HD25s. It feels kind of creaky, and I doubt the plastic is as thick. They are, however, just as comfortable. The Image Ones are a good effort by Klipsch, but I don't think they're the best value at their price. Better than Beats Solo, yes, but not better than HD25. 

That being said, though, this was all from a few minutes at the Apple Store. So it's definitely not a final or absolute opinion. But seeing as I had the opportunity to try these, I figured I'd just chime in. Lastly, I have no bias against Klipsch. In fact, I rather liked the X5s and X10s, which I've tried before.

Yeah, you should probably come tell us how these $150 MSRP headphones don't compare against your $300 MSRP hd25-1 ii's or your $370 MSRP ATH-ESW9's, because that sounds like a fair comparison.  The Klipsch definitely have shortcomings, but you're being unreasonable. 

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/DJ-headphones-HD%2025-1-high-attenuation-of-ambient-noise_502188
http://gizmodo.com/305218/audio-technicas-ath+esw9-cans-give-you-wood

In other news, Tiger Woods' mansion is nicer than my place, and a Porsche is a better car than a Kia.  Shocking, I know, try not to have a heart attack everyone.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #96 of 126

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, you should probably come tell us how these $150 MSRP headphones don't compare against your $300 MSRP hd25-1 ii's or your $370 MSRP ATH-ESW9's, because that sounds like a fair comparison.  The Klipsch definitely have shortcomings, but you're being unreasonable. 

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/DJ-headphones-HD%2025-1-high-attenuation-of-ambient-noise_502188

In other news, Tiger Woods' mansion is nicer than my place, and a Porsche is a better car than a Kia.  Shocking, I know, try not to have a heart attack everyone.

you're looking at the MSRP....the HD25-1 II's go for about $180-200 on the streets while the ATH-ESW9's (or 9A's) go for about $200-220. so i think it's more like comparing a honda to a toyota/hyundai then a porsche to a kia.... 

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #97 of 126

Quote:

The MSRP of the HD25-1 IIs and ESW9s is much lower nowadays, as the above poster said. Seeing as the first post on this thread was also comparing the HD25-1 IIs to Image Ones, I don't see anything wrong with making my own connection as well. I'll gladly support my opinion of the Image Ones' value by saying I prefer the Shure SRH440s and the AKG K81s over them in terms of overall performance. I can only vouch for headphones I've heard before, though.

After reading some of your previous posts, it's apparent that you seem to enjoy making inflammatory, sarcastic posts. It's a shame no one else enjoys reading them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #98 of 126
I think you'd have a harder time finding someone selling the HD25s for 299 than finding it for the it's generally set price of 199.99 (though I got mine for 170).

As noted earlier, it was a fair comparison being that everyone was jumping up and down in the beginning of the thread talking about how much better they are than the HD25s.  Same goes for the ESW9As.  They go a lot cheaper than MSRP.

The Klipsch are 70 dollar headphones going for 150.  Even if I compared it to those in that range, I'd take the ES7s, Senn PX100, or Denon 1001 first.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #100 of 126
Yeah, but the HD25-1 and ESW9 are old.  My point is, while products frequently don't sell for MSRP once prices settle, you can bet that 3 years ago, when the AT's just came out, they weren't selling for $200-$220.  The Klipsch One is recently released, and until this week or so, was only available at the Apple store.  It's very common to find headphones going down in price as they get older, and they are more available at different resellers. When the above two came out,  they were getting MSRP for their product.  That's why it's unfair to compare them as if they were in the same price brackets, when they absolutely are not.  Even currently, at $220 the ATH-ESW9 is in a different price bracket, as even at current street prices, they cost almost 50% more.

I'll agree that the Klipsch aren't worth the money, which is what I've stated previously in here and multiple other threads.  I definitely agree that the K518 is better, especially the blue version being $75 on Amazon, it's probably my take on the best portable sound for the money.  But it isn't a realistic comparison to say that because they are this much, then any newly released headphones costing this much (like the Denon D310R) is overpriced.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #103 of 126
I don't think it's worth $130 either.  Below $100 is when it starts to become competitive, considering that the AH-D510R costs that much.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #104 of 126
I got a chance to hear these at my local Apple store and they reminded me of my Denon AH-D1001.  They do have a lot of bass but I liked it.  I may go back to the store and pick up a set.  It was just too crowded at the Apple store and I wanted to get the heck out of there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back