Klipsch image one on-ear mini-review
Nov 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #46 of 126
Yes, all Apple stores have headphones on display, as far as I've seen.  They have headphones out so that you can test out ipods.  It allows them to push accessories as well as ipods.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #47 of 126

I think some of it depends on the store.  My local Apple store has had the Image ONE in boxes on the shelf for sale for just about 2 weeks and have yet to put one on display.  But you can sure find many Beats By Dre headphones out and Bose.  Poor management.
Quote:
Do all apple stores have them for an audition? I don't go to the apple store that often but the times I've been at the store I haven't seen anything you can try other than apple computers or ipods.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #48 of 126
I'm at the SoHo store as I type this.

Here's my impression of the cans:

Very very comfortable. It's like putting on a nice pillow over your ears. They're pretty stylish too. I'm not sure if the girls will throw their panties at you but they look good.

Now for the bad part:

Bloated bass. I made sure the eq was turned off and all I heard was bass. In those songs that I noted earlier, the one defining sound you're going to hear is bass and lots of it. The problem is that it's overpowering. Forget about listening to rock. Pink Floyd, Black Keys, and Nirvana sounded like crap.

The rap and electronic songs faired better but even then I like to hear the other sounds that come into play as well.

I'm sorry fellas. I really wanted to give them a chance. For the time being I can't say they come close to the hd25 in terms of sound quality. It has it beat in comfort and looks but overall sound goes to the hd25. Even if I don't compare the two, this sound isn't for me and I'd definitely expect more from a 150 dollar headphone. That's about 20-50 cheaper than the hd25s and esw9s (well if you get a deal on those). The savings are not worth it, IMO.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #49 of 126
I'm really interested in getting these for a Christmas present.

Pardon me, as I'm new to these forums, and relatively new to the whole headphone world.
I've been using a pair of noise isolating Creative in ear phones for listening to music. I got them for free when I ordered my laptop. They sound pretty good, but all I've compared them to are the crappy ones you get with the Zune/Ipod.

I currently own a Zune HD and was contemplating on buying the new Bose IE2 or the Klipsch Image S4's. The only ones I could try out were the IE2's so I can't say how well the Klipsch sounded. Yeah, the Bose IE2's destroyed what I have now, but I'm not too sure I like the idea of having to turn my volume up louder because I can hear ambient noise easier.

Then I decided that I wanted to try out some over the ear headphones. I tried these out at the Apple store and they were definitely better than the others on display there. Extremely comfortable.

Now I'm stuck. I mainly will use headphones to listen to music via my Zune HD and I commute everyday on a train/subway, so I don't want to hear others, and I don't want others to hear my music.

How are the Klipsch on sound leakage? I didn't get a chance to tell since it was so loud in there. I know they isolate sound pretty well though. Also, they sounded more open than the underwater feeling I get with the in ears, however will these need a portable amp, or am I just fine without one?

Sorry for the LONG post.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #50 of 126
They don't really leak. If you get a good fit on your ears then other people wont really be able to tell what you're listening to.

As for isolation, I would use in ear headphones. You will be able to hear people cough and babies cry, and most annoying sounds. I don't think these headphones are very isolating, but they can only do so much just sitting on your ears.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #51 of 126
The drivers suspiciously looks like the Foster driver used in the D1000/D1001/CAL!. Same size, shape, specs and price range. Can someone take a picture of the driver without the pads?

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #52 of 126

Quote:
The drivers suspiciously looks like the Foster driver used in the D1000/D1001/CAL!. Same size, shape, specs and price range. Can someone take a picture of the driver without the pads?

If that's true, then it's one hell of a price jump from a CAL! (70) to a D1000 (100) to the Klipsch (150).

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #53 of 126

Quote:
Quote:

If that's true, then it's one hell of a price jump from a CAL! (70) to a D1000 (100) to the Klipsch (150).

Not really. D1001 go for $150 too. The Image One also has a Mic and better accessories.

All we need is a pic of the driver's front side.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #54 of 126

Not really. D1001 go for $150 too. The Image One also has a Mic and better accessories.

All we need is a pic of the driver's front side.

If you look around a bit, they can be had for 100. I'm sure with wider distribution the Klipsch will go down in price as well. Which will make them a better deal.

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #55 of 126

I guess for the image one it's not going to be a show stopper.  Usually most headphones get a lot of hype on the first few weeks...Maybe Klipsch next on-ear will be the show stopper.  I was hoping for them to perform well against the HD25-1, but I guess for their intro price and being portable..they might fit the bill.  I wonder how they hold up against the likes of ES7 or Denon D1001.  I think they might be a contender once the Image one price drops, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  I need to drop by apple and check them out since I've been in the mall 2 times in the last week already and especially black friday is coming up, I'm sure I'll be near by.  Maybe then I can drop by for a quick listen and post a comment...even then it probable won't be fair to the image one since usually apple stores are crazy busy and loud.
Quote:
I'm at the SoHo store as I type this.

Here's my impression of the cans:

Very very comfortable. It's like putting on a nice pillow over your ears. They're pretty stylish too. I'm not sure if the girls will throw their panties at you but they look good.

Now for the bad part:

Bloated bass. I made sure the eq was turned off and all I heard was bass. In those songs that I noted earlier, the one defining sound you're going to hear is bass and lots of it. The problem is that it's overpowering. Forget about listening to rock. Pink Floyd, Black Keys, and Nirvana sounded like crap.

The rap and electronic songs faired better but even then I like to hear the other sounds that come into play as well.

I'm sorry fellas. I really wanted to give them a chance. For the time being I can't say they come close to the hd25 in terms of sound quality. It has it beat in comfort and looks but overall sound goes to the hd25. Even if I don't compare the two, this sound isn't for me and I'd definitely expect more from a 150 dollar headphone. That's about 20-50 cheaper than the hd25s and esw9s (well if you get a deal on those). The savings are not worth it, IMO.

Nov 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #56 of 126

Well, keep an open mind about this.  Sometimes the non show stopper for some turn out to be your best headphone.  The Ultrasone Zino has many mixed reviews on this forum.  Many leaning towards overpriced and average.  For me personally, I like my Zino's more than my HD25-1 ii.  Yep.  Other than not being quite as detailed, I prefer the Zino in every other way.  It just seems to be a fuller sound and really hits the sweet spots for me.  I don't think they are as accurate as the Senn, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. 

But after reading the inital impressions about the bass being too big, I think I would probably buy these and definitely hold on to the receipt.  The bass might settle in after some time, but who knows.  My Edition 8's were that way.  The bass was too boomy for quite some time, but they ended up settling and blending in like a perfect subwoofer in a home theater set up. 

Hope everyone keeps their views coming.  Since my Apple store is lazy about putting them out for display I am waiting to read a little more before I take the 150 plunge!!
Quote:
I guess for the image one it's not going to be a show stopper.  Usually most headphones get a lot of hype on the first few weeks...Maybe Klipsch next on-ear will be the show stopper. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #57 of 126

you got a point there. it might just be initial impression.  I had the same experience with the M50 where it takes sometime for everything to smooth out although not too long.  The bass became less boomy yet still has smooth full bass and the mids cleaned up.
Quote:
Well, keep an open mind about this.  Sometimes the non show stopper for some turn out to be your best headphone.  The Ultrasone Zino has many mixed reviews on this forum.  Many leaning towards overpriced and average.  For me personally, I like my Zino's more than my HD25-1 ii.  Yep.  Other than not being quite as detailed, I prefer the Zino in every other way.  It just seems to be a fuller sound and really hits the sweet spots for me.  I don't think they are as accurate as the Senn, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. 

But after reading the inital impressions about the bass being too big, I think I would probably buy these and definitely hold on to the receipt.  The bass might settle in after some time, but who knows.  My Edition 8's were that way.  The bass was too boomy for quite some time, but they ended up settling and blending in like a perfect subwoofer in a home theater set up. 

Hope everyone keeps their views coming.  Since my Apple store is lazy about putting them out for display I am waiting to read a little more before I take the 150 plunge!!
Quote:
I guess for the image one it's not going to be a show stopper.  Usually most headphones get a lot of hype on the first few weeks...Maybe Klipsch next on-ear will be the show stopper. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #58 of 126
roker, it's not fair to compare online periodic deals/clearance prices to a newly-released product's in-store price.  Creative Aurvana are on clearance right now for $70 through Creative, but Amazon's price, as fulfilled by them, is $85, and has been for a long time.  And everyone knows that Amazon is almost always cheaper than you can go readily buy anywhere else.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Creative-Labs-EF0060-Aurvana-Headphones/product/B000ZJZ7OA
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/creative-aurvana-live/4505-7877_7-32810185.html#reviewPage1
"Creative Labs has made quite a name for itself in the digital audio market, first with its Sound Blaster sound cards for the PC and continuing with its excellent line of Zen MP3 players. That said, it makes sense that the company has delved into headphones as well. The latest set to hit the market, called the Aurvana Live, is designed with the idea that you may want to listen from analog as well as digital sources. These headphones may not be Bose in name or sound, but they deliver good comfort and solid audio quality for a relatively affordable $150 (closer to $120 online)."

As you can see, the price for the Creative used to be $100+ as well.  Bonus: Look at the idiotic reviewer state "while these aren't Bose. . ."

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Denon-AHD1001S-On-Ear-Headphones-Silver/product/B000UPA4R4
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Denon-AHD1001K-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/product/B000UPBQQC
The Denon, while they briefly have been able to be found at a deal, have routinely been $150 as well.  Denon even claims this as the MSRP:
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=f28e56fc-7d35-4cf7-88d8-f6ce5abeb128&SubId=175b9aad-12a5-4ba1-9bc0-de397b66258a&ProductId=51e6521e-c462-4f5c-a346-f4e38974d14b

If these are the same drivers as the Creative and Denon, I'd like to know, but the fact that they are put in to a more portable housing is something to think about.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #59 of 126
The Denon and Creative have conflicting technical specifications so I'm not exactly sure. A picture of driver would be more assuring.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #60 of 126
They have the same drivers. There are pictures floating around on the 'net.
The Aurvana has differently shaped pads and a bit more smooth frequency response (due to earpad shape I guess). :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back