Kimber PBJ - IC and extension; DIY
Nov 10, 2003 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drp

500+ Head-Fier
What I need: A 5' mini to mini interconnect and a 15' headphone extension cable that terminates with 1/8" on each end.

What I have: A 20' Kimber PBJ headphone extension cable that terminates with 1/4 on each end.

Rather than sell the extension cable and then buy another with 1/8" terminals, and also buy a 5' mini to mini interconnect, I'm contemplating using the 20' PBJ to build each. I have decent soldering skills and own a good DVM to verify connectivity. My experience with stereo-related DIY wiring is building speaker cables out of Kimber 8TC, bi-wired into my Aerial 5s.

Does this sound like a good plan, and if so, does anyone have a recommendation on high quality 1/8" jacks? I suspect I could just hit Rat Shack, but wondering if Switchcraft or another higher-end connectors would be better.

Thanks,

Dave

Nov 11, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 5
since nobody answers yet, I'll do
wink.gif

just do it! get whatever connectors you can, they shoudn't sound different, it's more about the ease of manipulating with them.. use gold plated ones, these solder easier, and you'll be okay..

Nov 11, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, Glassman!

I was beginning to wonder if I'd posted in the wrong thread or it was simply too lame an idea.... I'll start with Rat Shack since there's one in the hood, and change them out later if I get the urge.

I have seen a few new posts go unanswered and responded just to bump them up, hoping this would create good forum karma for myself. Maybe it did.......

Cheers,

Nov 12, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 5
sounds like a good idea with the PBJ.

if you decide to try something other than the rat shack plugs, parts express has neutrik nickel and gold 1/8" plugs which look pretty decent...just ordered a few for yet another DIY cable.

as far as the switchcraft 1/8", i wasn't horribly impressed with their construction for 3.50$ a hit... so i figure might as well try something a little cheaper (the neutriks are only a buck something) and see how it goes. also, changing out the connectors (3.5mm stereo in particular) on cables, IMO, can be a bitch ...depending on materials used, build quality first time around, etc.

hope it turns out well
cool.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the tip on the Neutriks, I'll check them out.

I surfed for plugs and jacks last night and came across Switchcraft's HD (heavy duty) 1/8" offerings. Very nice gold plugs, alum sleeves, and an internal sleeve. They look slick, but pricey as hell and I'm not certain there'll be a perceivable gain in performance. What I couldn't find listed is the 1/8" cable extension jack (female part for the headphone extension).

There's an Allied Electronics about 30 minutes away so I'll call/pop down to see what they have and hopefully be able to touch a few items.

Oh crap; this stuff is maddening. First was the upgradeis on phones, then on a new amp, and now I seem to be suffering the same on interconnects. Will the madness ever end?!?! Gee, can't wait for the same phenomenon to occur for selecting a good portable source…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back