Khadas Tea - World's First MagSafe Headphone Amplifier for Smartphones
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 122
Great concept!

I love it...

@KHADAS will you be bringing the balanced 4.4 version to indiegogo as well, or will that be straight to market?
Well given the form factor this is one instance where 2.5 would make more sense although 4.4 is my favorite.... 4.4 is bound to make a balanced 4.4 version thicker...

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #32 of 122
I see the formats listed. But I don't see ALAC & AIFF. Are those viable formats for this?
Thank you

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 122
What makes you think that?
They are literally stating the following

There is nothing about high-res, just lossless, that is even RedBook 16/44.1 format.
And on high res, phones are different, even if iPhone downsamples everything to 24/48 (24bit technically is still high res, at least Qobuz and Amazon think so), bunch of phones have no issues playing 24/192 or even DSD and MQA like LG V30 for instance.
On first post it list specs. If you go to the link it also states specs.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tea-ultra-slim-hi-res-headphone-amplifier#/

67E32FD0-6562-49DF-AF48-88ABBCA9108F.png

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #34 of 122
Great concept!

I love it...

Well given the form factor this is one instance where 2.5 would make more sense although 4.4 is my favorite.... 4.4 is bound to make a balanced 4.4 version thicker...
Agreed 2.5 would probably be the better choice for the sake of saving space. On their community page they said they are developing their own 4.4 socket to reduce the space it takes up.

https://forum.khadas.com/t/tea-ultraslim-hi-res-headphone-amp-for-smartphones/13529/3

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 122
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #36 of 122
Thank you for putting that into evidence...That s for me is a bit fat lie for a needless product

The Sony Xperia 1 II smartphone does show 24bits/192Hz once connected with amazon music...it also supports ldac, aptx hd and adaptive...

I would be more interested in the ifi GoBlu though
For BT I am quite content with EarStudio ES100 MK2.
For analogue output my LG V30 is more than capable of delivering any high res in existence.

I really like the concept of Khadas Tea, but shameless BS marketing like this just makes me cringe and turns away from what might be a good product.
If you are targeting audiophile market, make sure that you don't have bloopers like this in the marketing materials.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #37 of 122
My current solution to phones having no headphone jack is gluing a bluetooth receiver to the back of the phone. This is my iphone 13 mini with fiio btr3k.

Photo Jan 16, 9 11 09 PM.jpg

The Tea is a favorable alternative primarily because it is much thinner (especially taking into account the thickness of the adhesive), albeit larger in size overall. My only concern is battery life. The btr3k advertises a battery life of 11hr, yet it almost always dies before my phone dies. The Tea only advertises 8hr. May I ask whether the 8hr is measured under bluetooth usage or wired usage? @KHADAS

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #38 of 122
How do the doubters above not know how an external DAC works?

The USB cable is digital out. It bypasses the phone’s internal DAC. The Tea decodes the digital and makes analog sound for amplification. The Tea is a DAC. It’s also a decently spec’d amp.

I have two Tone 2 Pro and an older chassis built Tone Board from Khadas. They are good engineers.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 122
My current solution to phones having no headphone jack is gluing a bluetooth receiver to the back of the phone. This is my iphone 13 mini with fiio btr3k.

The Tea is a favorable alternative primarily because it is much thinner (especially taking into account the thickness of the adhesive), albeit larger in size overall. My only concern is battery life. The btr3k advertises a battery life of 11hr, yet it almost always dies before my phone dies. The Tea only advertises 8hr. May I ask whether the 8hr is measured under bluetooth usage or wired usage? @KHADAS

Yep, our testing result range from 7h22 to 9h00 based on different setup on headphone, songs(PCM/DSD), and connection(USB/BT), and our specs just label with the average value of 8h.

BTW, different with FiiO BTR5 which with 550 mah battery, the Khadas Tea equipped with 1160 mah one instead.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 122
Yep, our testing result range from 7h22 to 9h00 based on different setup on headphone, songs(PCM/DSD), and connection(USB/BT), and our specs just label with the average value of 8h.

BTW, different with FiiO BTR5 which with 550 mah battery, the Khadas Tea equipped with 1160 mah one instead.
That's helpful. You mean there were hi-res / dsd files used in getting the 8hr estimate? Am curious about the "up-to" number, that is using AAC codec, driving low-imp IEMs under BT, how long can it last. It would be a deciding factor for me, personally.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #42 of 122
That's helpful. You mean there were hi-res / dsd files used in getting the 8hr estimate? Am curious about the "up-to" number, that is using AAC codec, driving low-imp IEMs under BT, how long can it last. It would be a deciding factor for me, personally.

True.

Just post part of the testing stats from our lab for your information:

F6152518-43F5-4C3B-A665-3E50E93C7317.png

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #43 of 122

But why the gluing? Isn`t it a lot more flexible to just have the BTR3 in one`s pocket and the cables running under the shirt to one`s ears - so you can move the phone totally freely without wires dangling arround?

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #44 of 122
There are two situations there:
1) The case you are using is MagSafe case: the Tea can magnetically attaches on your case well just like attaches to iPhone directly
2) The case you are using is normal case and without MagSafe: the Tea can still attach on the back of the case but with poor magnetic force on that.

Anyway we will suggest a MagSafe case but even you just use a normal case, the ultra-slim & flat design still help on your experience for any smartphones(the Samsung S21 also with megnate inside but quite poor magnetic force):

6BDDCBE4-48EF-4EAD-9A4C-6E16F1625C35.jpeg
Thank you for the very clear explanations. It seems you have thought well about the product design.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #45 of 122
But why the gluing? Isn`t it a lot more flexible to just have the BTR3 in one`s pocket and the cables running under the shirt to one`s ears - so you can move the phone totally freely without wires dangling arround?
Personally I need, as I am used to having, a headphone jack *on* my phone; like the old times, with the wires dangling around. Gluing is the only way to ensure that this is always the case, instead of occasionally having the phone at location A and the headphone jack at location B.

True.

Just post part of the testing stats from our lab for your information:

Thank you! I guess the takeaway is that the 8hr estimate is quite accurate regardless of the connection method and sample rate. Very good, surprising at the same time...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back