KGSSHV: Stax Amp - Help me build it.
Feb 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HDMan

100+ Head-Fier
KGSSHV: Stax Amp - Help me build it.

I am starting this thread as I need help with building this amp, please don't tell me to try something easier first, I am doing it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

So that any of you feel safer helping me, I will tell you that I do not plan on powering it up and testing it myself, I will have a tech guy do the final stages for me and get it running, I simply want to populate the PCB's, make the case and fit the parts accordingly.

I have some simple soldering skills, and have a spare board to practice on. I have the PCB's and the transistors, diodes etc have just arrived. I have been watching many of the soldering tutorials on youtube.

I will provide pictures as I go if anybody wants to help.

Questions:

On the schematics there are the numbers 1 and 2 next to the holes that the diodes poke through, how do I know which is the right way to position the diode, with a multimeter?

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 11
A very bad idea..but you know that already. HV is not to be fooled around with. Building a HV amp like the KGSSHV with hopes and dreams could get you killed.

Casing is not simple task.

And your questions on diode placement and test has me scared for your safety. 

That said, however you proceed, wish you the best.  

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 11
I am looking at the schematics right now and there is no "1 and 2" for any of the diodes that I am seeing at the moment. There is a stripe on most diodes that indicates the cathode. On through hole LEDs the shorter leg indicates the cathode. Testing a normal diode with a multimeter will give you the forward voltage drop if you are in the correct direction, but this won't work with things like zeners. These are some of the most basic things you should know. Honestly if you are not going to build more simple things first at least do some reading to educate yourself.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
A very bad idea..but you know that already. HV is not to be fooled around with. Building a HV amp like the KGSSHV with hopes and dreams could get you killed.

Casing is not simple task.

And your questions on diode placement and test has me scared for your safety. 

That said, however you proceed, wish you the best.  

Exactly the kind of posts I was trying to avoid, help me build it or FARK OFF!!!

Maybe you didn't read the part I mentioned that, I AM NOT GOING TO BE POWERING IT UP MYSELF.

I have talked to many professional amp builders, they all assure me there is no danger without ever having power running throught the Amp.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I am looking at the schematics right now and there is no "1 and 2" for any of the diodes that I am seeing at the moment. There is a stripe on most diodes that indicates the cathode. On through hole LEDs the shorter leg indicates the cathode. Testing a normal diode with a multimeter will give you the forward voltage drop if you are in the correct direction, but this won't work with things like zeners. These are some of the most basic things you should know. Honestly if you are not going to build more simple things first at least do some reading to educate yourself.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 11
You're not going to like my answer, but build some easier stuff first!  I've built a couple KGSSHV's (see my user photos) and take it from me, its not an easy build.  If this amp ran off of +/-30V rails, it wouldn't be too bad if you know something about case work.  Problem is, it runs off of +/-450V rails...  You need to be adept a soldering.  Poor and sloppy soldered joints can easily lead to scary and damaging shorts.  Then begins the nightmare of figuring out what blew up.

So I'd really suggest working on a couple other projects first.  Do you need a source for this thing?  Build a DAC first.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
You're not going to like my answer, but build some easier stuff first!  I've built a couple KGSSHV's (see my user photos) and take it from me, its not an easy build.  If this amp ran off of +/-30V rails, it wouldn't be too bad if you know something about case work.  Problem is, it runs off of +/-450V rails...  You need to be adept a soldering.  Poor and sloppy soldered joints can easily lead to scary and damaging shorts.  Then begins the nightmare of figuring out what blew up.

So I'd really suggest working on a couple other projects first.  Do you need a source for this thing?  Build a DAC first.

I respect your concern, but I have gone through this already with some very experienced and professional amp builders that have been doing this for more than 20 years. So anyhow, they will be checking everything over, all the solder joins, direction of parts, schematics, they will be doing the hook up wire and testing, powering it up for the first time and getting it running.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 11

First of all that is the layout not the schematic. 

Ah and I do see what you are talking about, although I never noticed them when I was building the amp lol. So this is a bad sign for you. The 1 and 2 labels are on resistors. The diodes are labelled with A and K. Take a guess what they stand for...

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Some suggestions:

1. Go light on the solder of the high voltage parts (the pins of the SC4686's).  Little specs of solder over the ground plane or between pins will lead to shorts. 
  2. Make sure you clean the flux off and check all of the soldered joints really carefully.  It will save you headaches down the road. 
  3. Get some good flowy solder like the Cardas Quad stuff, and a good iron like the Hakko 936. 
  4. Mount all of the resistors, diodes, etc with a gap between the part and the board.  This lowers the risk of shorts
  5. Do the on-board heatsink version.  It will be much much easier...
  6. Read through the big KSGGHV thread on HC.  Blubliss and myself posted quite a bit of information about building the amps that should be helpful.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Also measure all of the parts before you put them in the circuit to ensure they are the correct values. Resistors and capacitors can be measured with your DMM. A lot of the diodes can be checked as well. It might also be a good idea to get a transistor tester like the one that is mentioned somewhere on HC to weed out obviously fake transistors, although I don't believe there have been any problems with the KGSHHV transistors so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back