KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #736 of 834
The latest MK2 improvement (a.k.a MK2.9) actually seem to have been implemented sometime during 2014-2015. I bought a brand new unit produced in 2018, but any MK2 that was purchased new in 2016 or later should guarantee being the latest revision.

For some reason, it is not possible to tell the revision from the serial no. anymore. When I bought mine, the serial no. was actually SZ2-xxxx, which at first glance implies that it is even before the MK2.5 (the previous inferior sounding version), which was produced before 2011 and had the serial SZ3-xxxx. I asked STAX about this and they told me that the serial no. no longer reflects the revision, and that I got the so-called MK2.9 produced in 2018.
So now that you have settled in with the KGSSHV Carbon / SR-007 MKII can you comment on how it differs from the the SR-009, and SR-009S versions??!

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #737 of 834
So now that you have settled in with the KGSSHV Carbon / SR-007 MKII can you comment on how it differs from the the SR-009, and SR-009S versions??!

I could, if only I had an SR-009 and SR-009S to compare with!

The thing is, I'm not really interested in SR-009. I've heard it enough to know that it is way too bright, in an unnatural way, for my tastes. I did try the SR-009 with BHSE in the past and my ears hurt. The Carbon is less warmer and more aggressive than BHSE, so no doubt the Carbon/SR-009 will be even more ear rape. Also, as I stated in my previous post, I find even the Carbon/SR-007 slightly peaky. The SR-009 is brighter than SR-007, so again, the Carbon/SR-009 would be even brighter than what I have. That's a big nope.

I admit I'm a bit curious about the SR-009S, but from what I read about it so far, that it's improved from SR-009 but still retains its overall tonality, my expectations aren't really high.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #738 of 834
I could, if only I had an SR-009 and SR-009S to compare with!

The thing is, I'm not really interested in SR-009. I've heard it enough to know that it is way too bright, in an unnatural way, for my tastes. I did try the SR-009 with BHSE in the past and my ears hurt. The Carbon is less warmer and more aggressive than BHSE, so no doubt the Carbon/SR-009 will be even more ear rape. Also, as I stated in my previous post, I find even the Carbon/SR-007 slightly peaky. The SR-009 is brighter than SR-007, so again, the Carbon/SR-009 would be even brighter than what I have. That's a big nope.

I admit I'm a bit curious about the SR-009S, but from what I read about it so far, that it's improved from SR-009 but still retains its overall tonality, my expectations aren't really high.
You owe it to yourself to hear 009s with the Carbon, don’t dismiss them because with Birgir’s Carbon the match is perfect IMHO.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #739 of 834
Great story, @songmic ! Glad you're back into the Stax fold. The Sennheiser he90/heV90 Orpheus system certainly is inferior to a good Stax/Carbon setup, because as you noted the bass impact is missing, among other things. The he90 headphones sound pretty awesome out of a T2 though (haven't tried them on a Carbon).

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #741 of 834
The brightness could be due to your upstream source as well...perhaps the Yggy is too aggressive? or the recording is poorly mastered...IMO

One thing we can agree on is that BIrgir's implementation of his amps are well suited for the 007s :)

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #743 of 834
No way 009 is too bright with Birgir’s Carbon. It’s definitely source dependent. With my Dave it’s literally the least fatiguing headphone I own. Believe it or not, the LCD 4 is more fatiguing with the Dave than the 009 because of its 10k bump ( and it’s only slightly fatiguing).

It’s really crazy - 009/Carbon/Dave it is the most balanced headphone system I’ve ever heard.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #744 of 834
No way 009 is too bright with Birgir’s Carbon. It’s definitely source dependent. With my Dave it’s literally the least fatiguing headphone I own. Believe it or not, the LCD 4 is more fatiguing with the Dave than the 009 because of its 10k bump ( and it’s only slightly fatiguing).

It’s really crazy - 009/Carbon/Dave it is the most balanced headphone system I’ve ever heard.
What about 009s-Carbon-HMS-DAVE?

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #745 of 834
SR-009 is too bright with many records. I can that SR-009s is perfect with carbon. I will never go back to the standard SR-009.
I agree sr9 is for y ears too bright and sr-9s just just fine. really like it and use it currently extensively wile travelling or on holidays w d10. This is a very nice and transportable pairing!

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #746 of 834
What about 009s-Carbon-HMS-DAVE?

I can't speak to HMS that's a future upgrade - but, as mentioned, I love 009 (not S) < Mjolnir Carbon < Dave

I auditioned the 009S for a few days with the same Carbon, but didn't have a Dave at that point (was using it with Bricasti M1 SE / Yggdrasil). I found the 009S too dark for my taste, and cymbals sounded dry. Some of the "zing" people complain about in the 009 treble sounds right to me. This is gone in the 009S - and ultimately why I stuck with the 009.

YMMV. A lot of others think 009S and Carbon is epic. My preference just goes to the traditional 009.

For what it's worth, I used to have an 007A - and there is an element in the treble which I don't like. I hear this same element in the 009S - but the 009S feel more open in general. That said, many do - therefore it's really a subjective thing.

I have tried HE1000 v1, Sennheiser HD800, 600, Audeze LCD4, Focal Utopia and pretty much every flagship on my rig except the various versions of the Abyss and Susvara and some relative newcomers.

I don't think there is a headphone that comes close to the 009 since it's release in 2011 - which is an impressive feat.

I also own the LCD-4 as I enjoy the Audeze house sound - and it provides a good contrast to the 009 - but IMHO 009 is clearly the superior headphone.

Now that I have a Dave I'm tempted to try the H1000se (I've only tried He1000 v1) - but the thing that really bothered me about it was this dryness in the treble. If that's been improved I may want to try it out as I really like the other aspects of it. I also hope the build quality has improved, because it seems poor for a headphone costing that much.

For some reason, I have been spoiled by electrostats and to a lesser extent planars. I always notice a subtle grain with dynamics (Utopia and HD800 included), that I don't get with stats and planars. I do own the Clears where that grain is barely noticeable, but it's because they just aren't as resolving as the flagships - and I really enjoy it's tonal balance.

I'm done upgrading for a while, though. When I next do will be either:

Another Electrostatic Amp (BHSE via Justin or T2 via commissioned build) - though I really feel like the Carbon is perfect right now, so I have to hear them with the 009.
HMS
Another top tier planar
A streamer upgrade over my Auralic Aries Femto

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #747 of 834
I agree sr9 is for y ears too bright and sr-9s just just fine. really like it and use it currently extensively wile travelling or on holidays w d10. This is a very nice and transportable pairing!
What is the D
I can't speak to HMS that's a future upgrade - but, as mentioned, I love 009 (not S) < Mjolnir Carbon < Dave

I auditioned the 009S for a few days with the same Carbon, but didn't have a Dave at that point (was using it with Bricasti M1 SE / Yggdrasil). I found the 009S too dark for my taste, and cymbals sounded dry. Some of the "zing" people complain about in the 009 treble sounds right to me. This is gone in the 009S - and ultimately why I stuck with the 009.

YMMV. A lot of others think 009S and Carbon is epic. My preference just goes to the traditional 009.

For what it's worth, I used to have an 007A - and there is an element in the treble which I don't like. I hear this same element in the 009S - but the 009S feel more open in general. That said, many do - therefore it's really a subjective thing.

I have tried HE1000 v1, Sennheiser HD800, 600, Audeze LCD4, Focal Utopia and pretty much every flagship on my rig except the various versions of the Abyss and Susvara and some relative newcomers.

I don't think there is a headphone that comes close to the 009 since it's release in 2011 - which is an impressive feat.

I also own the LCD-4 as I enjoy the Audeze house sound - and it provides a good contrast to the 009 - but IMHO 009 is clearly the superior headphone.

Now that I have a Dave I'm tempted to try the H1000se (I've only tried He1000 v1) - but the thing that really bothered me about it was this dryness in the treble. If that's been improved I may want to try it out as I really like the other aspects of it. I also hope the build quality has improved, because it seems poor for a headphone costing that much.

For some reason, I have been spoiled by electrostats and to a lesser extent planars. I always notice a subtle grain with dynamics (Utopia and HD800 included), that I don't get with stats and planars. I do own the Clears where that grain is barely noticeable, but it's because they just aren't as resolving as the flagships - and I really enjoy it's tonal balance.

I'm done upgrading for a while, though. When I next do will be either:

Another Electrostatic Amp (BHSE via Justin or T2 via commissioned build) - though I really feel like the Carbon is perfect right now, so I have to hear them with the 009.
HMS
Another top tier planar
A streamer upgrade over my Auralic Aries Femto

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #748 of 834
What is the D

Please listen to the HEK se and compare it with the Stax. Really want to know if an upgrade to 009(s) is better than Empyrean or HEKse.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #749 of 834
Could someone help me take a measurement of the depth and width of the Carbon? Trying to figure out if it'll fit on my (rather small) equipment rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back