KGSS Pics - five of 'em
Aug 15, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 42
And hence why you will go deaf before you turn 20.

Don't worry about xtreme, we'll take good care of him on Thursday.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I really like your homemade standoffs in your KGSS.
orphsmile.gif

I found the 404s to be similar to the HE90s as well but the 90s were much smoother. I found the 404's to be a touch too sizzly for my tastes but that was with the 006t amp. Probably just not a good match for my sources/cables. I'd like to hear them again with the KGSS or weebl.

I talked to Antness about building a KGSS but he didn't seem all that interested in pursuing that avenue. I think he's got enough work with his dynamic amps. Too small a market is my guess.

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #17 of 42
...pounding on him to do one for me since about December of last year. Maybe that (and my subsequent patience, waiting until summer and then through most of the summer so far) had something to do with him agreeing.

In any event, I was under the firm impression that he is, in fact, interested in making and selling KGSS's. Ask him again if you really are interested.

- Matt

Aug 15, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 42
Heh, unfortunately, I spent all my money. I was thinking Omega IIs and KGSS but couldn't find anyone with the time to build it. I could have done it but laziness set in. I ended up getting a pair of HP-1s instead.

As much as I like electrostats for a lot of things, the sound is too cerebral. I can't speak about the Omega IIs until I hear them but the 404s and HE90s just don't do it for me with a lot of my music. They seem to lack that little bit of emotion that seems so easy for dynamic headphones to do. Could be that I'm far too used to regular dynamic speakers.

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 42
Wilson- You better hope that Zzz doesn't make it to this meet with the Weebl, then...

...because I don't think you want to have to sell off gear to be able to afford the Omega2/Weebl!

(and yeah, for the record, my next amp is going to be said Weebl... so if you decide you need one, I'd love some financing
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 16, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
...what "Weebl" means? Is it some sort of modded KGSS?

- Matt

Matt,

The Weebl is Kevin's uber-amp for electrostatic cans. It is a hybrid design that is simply incredible! It costs nearly twice that of a KGSS, but from what the 3-4 people who have buklt one say, there is nothing else that compares to it. It is a dc coupled hybrid tube amp that Kevin Gilmore designed in a way that is simply ingenious. Seems the tubes' and transistors were perfectly matched to compliment each other and provide incredible sound.

The only drawback, according to zzz, is that is drifts and needs to be adjusted every week or so, plus with every tuberoll or swap. They are working on fixing the issue, and Mikhail is currently designing one for another member here as we speak. Should be done in about a month or so, so stay tuned for more news once the owner takes possession of it.

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 42
...thanks for the explanation, however, what does "Weebl" mean? Does it stand for something, kinda like the peoples' initials forming "META"?

Regards,
Matt

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

...thanks for the explanation, however, what does "Weebl" mean? Does it stand for something, kinda like the peoples' initials forming "META"?

Regards,
Matt

Not sure. Try emailing or PM'ing Kevin Gilmore and ask him. He's good at answering emails, an all around nice guy. Plus, you could ask him about the Weebl's design and such, but be prepared to make war with your wallet and sve you pennies for a while if you do. This amp is off the chart good from everything I have heard. It takes electrostatics and launches them a light-year ahead of anything else available.

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #24 of 42
heh you guys are funny.

the amp design is the kevin gilmore hybrid electrostatic amp (with blue hawaii output stage).

the reason why it's often called weebl is because zzz nicknamed his amp that, and a bunch of morons from this boards started repeating it and now people call the whole amp design that. since he's the only other person to have built the amp (besides mr. gilmore) i can understand why it sort of stuck.

if you must know where zzz got the name, it's a character from a favorite webcomic of his: http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/

mmm, pie.

Aug 16, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #25 of 42
Yes, that's why I call it the Blue Hawaii/Weebl (or vice versa)... the Weebl is technically a KGSS with the solid state output stage replaced by a hybird EL34/2SA1967 stage, named the Blue Hawaii by Kevin Gilmore (who designed the thing, sooo...). Weebl kind of stuck as a name for the combination KGSS/Blue Hawaii.

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 42
Congrats Matt!

Justin also has agreed to build a little amp for me. It won't be KGSS, but should be fun!
biggrin.gif

A bad news is that a waiting time is 4-6 weeks.
Hope it'll worth the wait. From what I hear out of V2, it shoudn't dissapoint.

How long did you waited for yours?

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

I had previously asked zzz and was not impressed with the price he wanted. I think it was (a few hundred higher), but don't quote me on that.

There's no official parts list for the KGSS, so zzz and antness are probably not using the same parts. That could explain the price difference.

Aug 16, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 42
When it comes to any kind of amp, especially DIYFSE ones, there's no official parts list - even in cases where there is one posted (such as the META42), builders can and do deviate from this list for reasons of quality, availibility, performace, or simply personal preference.

Me, I always included a breakdown of the cost in the form of an Excel spreadsheet, because of this... on the other hand, making up those spreadsheets was a time consuming and tedious process, so I can see why the practice hasn't caught on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Congrats Matt!

A bad news is that a waiting time is 4-6 weeks.
Hope it'll worth the wait. From what I hear out of V2, it shoudn't dissapoint.

How long did you waited for yours?

Thanks for your kind words.

Don't even ask about the time I waited...the dude from Headamp.com gave me a good deal, but under the condition that there would be a wait. As above, I had initially contacted him in December and was told to wait until Summer. I did that five months of waiting, then I got him to agree to build me one and agreed to the build wait. I paid, I believe, in early May, so there has been another 3+ months wait and I am still waiting to see the final product. You might think I'm pissed because of all the waiting, but I'm not, as we had an understood agreement each step of the way. Plus, in the end, I'm getting the really great product I've lusted so long for.

So, don't feel so bad about your 4 - 6 weeks. You'll manage.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back