Keyboard recommendations with mechanical key switches
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya. So far I've been loving my Das ultimate keyboard, but I need another keyboard for my imac.

I'm a touch-typist, so mechanical key switches are preferred over membrane or scissor type keyboards.

Should I get another das ultimate? or go for something else? wireless/bluetooth/wired USB are all fine. I like to keep it under 200$ (as mechanical keyboards are generally expensive).

I don't think this exact topic has been posted before (unless I'm wrong) then let me know otherwise.

Thanks for all your help!

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 15
Hiya, if you've read the other keyboard posts here you might have noticed I'm partial to Cherry keyboards with mechanical key switches.. you may have also noticed that they make the switches used in the Das series.

I love the compact keyboard G84-4100 because of the huge amount of desk space it saves:
Cherry G84-4100 Keyboards - Barcode Discount

Though I'm sure a lot of people might not appreciate the compact layout you can also browse Cherry's other models here:
Cherry Keyboards

it seems most people don't really care about keyboards and the ones that get attention have flashy features instead of functional quality.. I went through quite a few more mainstream keyboards before finding Cherry.

no affiliation etc..
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm all about the IBM Model M. You can score one on eBay for $15 or so and give it a good clean to make it as good as new. Typing on one right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

You might want to check out geekhack.org as it is a forum dedicated to this.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Check out the Das Keyboard V2, has mechanical switches, is tweaked based on normal typing pressure, and it comes in two versions one without any letters on the keys one with.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Those Das Keyboards are all rebranded models for what it's worth. With a little research you can get nearly the same keyboard for much less.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 15
I also vote for the IBM Model M and have bought a few off of eBay. I'm currently using a unicomp keyboard which is the successor to the Model M. Unicomp bought the tooling from IBM/Lexmark when they discontinued the keyboard. Unicomp has updated the Model M with the Windows keys and USB interface:

Customizer 104/105

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by syg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically Model Ms aren't mechanical switches but buckling spring, tend to be pretty loud.

Depends on how you define a mechanical switch, but either way, they definitely fill the same role.

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 15
I have a Das Keyboard III Professional, and a Unicomp Customizer. I love both of them. I'm also thinking of getting a Matias because I am starting to use OS X a bit more (Hackintosh, booted on my main PC) and the dual PC/Mac layout would be incredibly useful.

I also have a couple of IBM Model M's that I use, and love, but they're ugly so I've exiled them to the server room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back