KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread
Jun 12, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #76 of 271
Some initial thoughts on Vali...

Build quality is good, although they look rougher hewn than I'd expect at this price point.

Comfort is ok. I'd prefer a bit less clamp force, and I usually find headphones to be a bit loose on me. If these were mine, I'd be bending the headband a bit to relax the clamp force. It'd be nice if they were a bit lighter, but then I guess you'd be compromising on build quality.

As Andy mentioned, they're surprisingly DAP-friendly. Easy to drive and sound quite good straight out of my DAPs. Not as good as out of my Aune X1S or the Cayin iDAC-6 + iHA-6 stack, but much better than I thought they might. That said, fullness and soundstage are noticeably compromised when using a DAP vs. desktop gear.

Here're some thoughts on Vali + the Cayin stack:
I've got the iDAC-6 + iHA-6 stack along with the Kennerton Vali headphones right now. I'm mainly doing this out of curiosity, as I'm much more of a portable audio listener (DAP + IEM). My personal headphone setup consists of DAP COAX OUT -> Aune X1S DAC/AMP -> modded HE400. Unfortunately, my HE400 are out for a headband mod right now. Hoping to get them back before I move the Cayin + Kennerton kit up to Seattle.

So with that preamble out of the way, here's my experience with the tour setup...

I first listened to Cayin N5 DAP via LO ->iHA-6 -> Vali. It was too bright / edgy for me with noticeable sibilance hiss after each S and soundstage was pretty closed in. I didn't last long before pulling the plug on this experiment.

Moving right along, I switched to N5 via COAX OUT -> iDAC-6 -> iHA-6 -> Vali. Playing around with the settings a bit, I settled on Vacuum Tube + Slow Filter on iDAC-6 and Low Current and Low Gain out of the High SE 1/4" HO. Whew, there's A LOT to play with!!! Be prepared to get your audiophile geek on :L3000:

Before I started playing around, I was getting a brighter / edgier sound than I liked. After finding my preferred (at least for now :wink: ) settings, the sound is now smooth and enjoyable. Soundstage isn't anything to write home about with this setup, though. I have the feeling Vali is the limiting factor as far as soundstage goes, though.

Not much else to say about the setup right now. I might go back and try out N5 LO -> iHA-6 with High SE, though. I'd tried it via Balanced Out before. Maybe High SE will make a difference.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #77 of 271
Long time no posts 

UPDATE: 

I had not realized that this is a pre-release version. Kennerton is making some changes:
  1. new part that makes it sounds slightly more open
  2. it will sound slightly more distant
  3. it will have even clearer bass

I was fine with how the bass sounded but more openness was needed as well as distance. Clearer bass is a bonus.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #83 of 271

Vali + Cayin stack are making their way through the Portland crowd right now. After that, I'll be dropping the whole shebang off in Seattle. After the gear has made the rounds up in Seattle, Vali will be off on its own tour.

Is it still possible to sign up for the Seattle part of the tour?

QUALIFICATIONS
  1. Tour member must have atleast 500 posts
  2. Tour member must have atleast 7 positive seller feedback
  3. There may be some bending ie if 2000 posts but 5 seller feedbacks or something of the likes. 
Also it is pretty full. 

I recommend meeting up with one of the guys in Seattle at a Starbucks or the likes if they are up for it. Sorry sir
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #84 of 271
  QUALIFICATIONS
  3. There may be some bending ie if 2000 posts but 5 seller feedbacks or something of the likes. 
Also it is pretty full. 

I recommend meeting up with one of the guys in Seattle at a Starbucks or the likes if they are up for it. Sorry sir
frown.gif

I'd definitely be up for that if anyone is willing (and I'd be happy to pay for the coffee/beers). Just let me know!

By the way, if the Vali will be here in time for the Bellingham meetup this Saturday and the person who has them is interested in attending, I'd also be happy to offer a ride.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #85 of 271

QUALIFICATIONS
Also it is pretty full. 

frown.gif

I'd definitely be up for that if anyone is willing (and I'd be happy to pay for the coffee/beers). Just let me know!

By the way, if the Vali will be here in time for the Bellingham meetup this Saturday and the person who has them is interested in attending, I'd also be happy to offer a ride.

@nmatheis will be up there sometime. however, I am not sure the bellingham meet is far out enough. There is another Seattle meet on the 30th.  

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #87 of 271
Just based on the impressions I've read so far-- and the looks--might the Kennerton Vali be a worthy successor to the venerable Grado HP1000? I was a proud, happy owner of the HP1000 for almost 20 years, and always admired its mid-range excellence, dynamic punch, relative transparency, and smooth top end (the best I've ever heard from Grado). While maybe not matching it, I wonder if the Vali is shooting for the same ballpark? I'm looking forward to hearing it-- hopefully it will be available in North America. Anything in that general sonic signature is always welcome. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #88 of 271
  Just based on the impressions I've read so far-- and the looks--might the Kennerton Vali be a worthy successor to the venerable Grado HP1000? I was a proud, happy owner of the HP1000 for almost 20 years, and always admired its mid-range excellence, dynamic punch, relative transparency, and smooth top end (the best I've ever heard from Grado). While maybe not matching it, I wonder if the Vali is shooting for the same ballpark? I'm looking forward to hearing it-- hopefully it will be available in North America. Anything in that general sonic signature is always welcome. 

Not a comparison I expected! I'm definitely intrigued.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #89 of 271
It seems that the Vali is now able to be ordered!!!

I have to place my order on Friday and hopefully will be able to.

The Kennerton also will be able to be purchased with laquered cups. 

non laquered                           laquered

I stupidly purchased an audeze sine out of curiosity with some of my Vali money 
frown.gif
redface.gif
 so I will sell it at a really low price if anyone is interested. What an idiot I am...

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #90 of 271
It seems that the Vali is now able to be ordered!!!

I have to place my order on Friday and hopefully will be able to.

The Kennerton also will be able to be purchased with laquered cups. 

non laquered                           laquered

I stupidly purchased an audeze sine out of curiosity with some of my Vali money :frowning2: :xf_eek:  so I will sell it at a really low price if anyone is interested. What an idiot I am...

Looking forward to hearing your impressions on these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back