Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 3, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #7,982 of 10,062
Anyone here using the Thekk or Wodan lately? (My Thekk just keeps getting better to my ears. Might have something to do with upgrading to a Dana Lazuli Reference cable, I dunno). I'd like to see more comparison impressions between the Thekk and Wodan. Or ideally, some new impressions between all the open backs.

BTW, there is currently (I think) 4 Kennerton open backs available, and approximately 8 closed backs available.
I have always been interested in the Thekk but there is virtually no active comments on them.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #7,983 of 10,062
I have always been interested in the Thekk but there is virtually no active comments on them.
Seems like most people go for either the TOTL or the Dynamic headphones. Since all there headpohones have such different sounds it is really hard to judge how they would sound by going off what their other Planar headphones sound like.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #7,984 of 10,062
I'm seriously considering getting a second pair of the Thekk. It's just getting better in the few years I've had it now. Maybe it's my brain burn-in, or its burn-in, or ancillary equipment adjustments, not sure. But my enjoyment of the headphone is increasing. I liked it off the bat, but it's sounding better now.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #7,985 of 10,062
I'm seriously considering getting a second pair of the Thekk. It's just getting better in the few years I've had it now. Maybe it's my brain burn-in, or its burn-in, or ancillary equipment adjustments, not sure. But my enjoyment of the headphone is increasing. I liked it off the bat, but it's sounding better now.
Do you want the second pair as a ‘backup’ or for use in a different location? A different pair of Kennertons as a complement to Thekk? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #7,988 of 10,062
I recently received a pair of the gel 105mm pads from @John Massaria for my RD's. The pad swap is kind of a pain in the ass so I didn't go back and forth a bunch, but I can't say I noticed much if any change in the sound but man I find these gel pads much more comfortable with a better seal than the stock pads. Price was super reasonable too. If you're looking for a step up from stock pads, let John know. I like my RD's more and more each time I put them on.

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #7,990 of 10,062
Can anyone comment on the Rognir dynamic and bass impact? How does it compare to other bio-cellulose like 9200? Thanks.
Based on my memory. The Rognir Dynamic has less bass emphasis than the Denon 9200. Both have very accurate and fast bass response and both have great low end rumble but the 9200 has more volume/presence in the bass. I can do a better comparison between the 2 once I get the 9200 back from my brother.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #7,991 of 10,062
Based on my memory. The Rognir Dynamic has less bass emphasis than the Denon 9200. Both have very accurate and fast bass response and both have great low end rumble but the 9200 has more volume/presence in the bass. I can do a better comparison between the 2 once I get the 9200 back from my brother.
Thanks. Is the treble recessed compared to the frequency targets?

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #7,992 of 10,062
Thanks. Is the treble recessed compared to the frequency targets?
Do you mean versus the Harman Curve? I don't really know what the frequency targets should sound like. I base everything on if I enjoy the sound over what a chart says.
The 9200 has a very V shaped sound and if you are really sensitive to highs it can become painful on some frequencies. Compared to the 9200 the Rognir Dynamic's highs are pretty mellow, though, they aren't lacking in any way.
The Rognir Dynamic is tuned more to focus on mids, detail, precision, and sound stage. Where as the 9200 is tuned to focus on highs, detail, and lows.
If you want a lot of detailed highs and powerful lows go with the 9200. If you want a large sound stage with well balanced highs and lows and a focus on mids go with the Rognir Dynamic.
Again, all this is based on memory till I get the 9200 back.
I also had the Rognir Dynamic modded by @John Massaria which improved almost every aspect of the Rognir Dynamic. So if you do get them I highly recommend it.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #7,993 of 10,062
Received a couple sets of pads from John, thanks man 👍. I'm going to try both styles on both my Magni and Ibasso SR2 this weekend. Looking forward to this adventure!
20220609_200148.jpg

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #7,994 of 10,062
I also had the Rognir Dynamic modded by @John Massaria which improved almost every aspect of the Rognir Dynamic. So if you do get them I highly recommend it.

I hadn't realized John mods RDs also. What was the mod? What did it change/improve for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back