Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #1,067 of 10,092
Yes ; The passion for listening music, but also for science, literature, and more, is important, otherwise life would be very sad and monotonous.
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179159052.html#p179159052

The other side of the coin is that when two passionate people meet, and they do not have the same point of view for their passion, the discussion is sometimes animated; But when their point of view converges and they share and understand their same passion, then the discussion remains as animated, exciting!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,068 of 10,092
My Kennertons (sorry for the picture quality). Man, I just can't get over how good the Odins are (and the Vali!). These headphones are brilliant! And my sapele Odin with cable upgrade is even better. Just exquisite. Hopefully more people will get savvy to Kennerton. (I would like to see Tyll Hertsens review the Odin). In the meantime, I guess it's still something of a 'best kept secret.'

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,069 of 10,092
  My Kennertons (sorry for the picture quality). Man, I just can't get over how good the Odins are (and the Vali!). These headphones are brilliant! And my sapele Odin with cable upgrade is even better. Just exquisite. Hopefully more people will get savvy to Kennerton. (I would like to see Tyll Hertsens review the Odin). In the meantime, I guess it's still something of a 'best kept secret.'

Shush! Tyll should not know ...
It's our secret ; Let us keep him jealously for us.
Do not spread it.

wink.gif

Otherwise, the analysis of your photo below (improved for the colorimetry ?) seems to show me that you have chosen as an improved cable, for your second Odin, the cable Kennerton in Litz wire with a neutrik connector (jack 6,35 mm ?) in silver color, like the wire divider, in aluminium colour silver too ?

(nb: See also the photo below (spoiler) for my three cables used for my two Kennerton Odin : cable Kennerton stock with its black divider cable ; improved cable Kennerton In Litz wire with its aluminium divider cable (The same as yours?) and the hand-made Vectura C cable made by Pierre (in Litz wire too) with its fabric sheath, beige).

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #1,070 of 10,092
HeeHee...Thanks for the picture improvement Eric. Yeah, I have the Kennerton Litz wire cable in XLR termination for the sapele Odin. Very happy with it. I'll bet that Vectura C cable is excellent.

Also not pictured are my recent acquisition of the ZMF Eikon and Atticus closed-back headphones. They're good, but Kennerton is still the best for me
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way ithilienrp, did you end up getting the ZMF headphones? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them, especially in comparison with the Magister.  

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,071 of 10,092
Great; An Odin mk2 headphone (wired internally in Litz wire), well amplified, well "burn-in", combined with an improved Kennerton cable, also in Litz wire (termination neutrik, in silver color, XLR or 6.35 mm jack, choice when ordering) (note : the Kennerton stock cable is already very good), and well it is a must, especially for listening to music Pop / Rock  and for Jazz, which I listen the most.
Simply magical!

Good listening ! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Eric

PS: do not say too strongly that these are very good headphones, otherwise our small (and very select) club of privileged and insiders to the brand Kennerton is likely to expand. 
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,072 of 10,092
HeeHee...Thanks for the picture improvement Eric. Yeah, I have the Kennerton Litz wire cable in XLR termination for the sapele Odin. Very happy with it. I'll bet that Vectura C cable is excellent.

Also not pictured are my recent acquisition of the ZMF Eikon and Atticus closed-back headphones. They're good, but Kennerton is still the best for me :)  

By the way ithilienrp, did you end up getting the ZMF headphones? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them, especially in comparison with the Magister.  

My Atticus should be ready next week. Zach is doing a little special treatment for my Padauk finishing (I already have his Ori Padauk, so I want a little different look).

Also, I'm talking to him about a more exotic wood options for the Eikon.

I have 3 Ori (Omni), by the way, in Purpleheart, Cocobolo, and Padauk.

Zach and I love talking about woods, and he loves sering photos of my daughter with his headphones :)

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,074 of 10,092
  Cool. I hope you share some pics when you get them.

You must really like the Omni/Ori! I also hope to hear your thoughts with how it compares to the Eikon and Atticus. Briefly, how would you compare/contrast the Ori with the Magister? Thanks.

What can I say ... well, let just say that I "fully understand it" when you said about having more-than-one-headphones-for-a-particular-model .. just for something different, and maybe just for looking at them.

As a prove. Here's some of my woodies (not all) in the collection. By random upload order.

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00. All of them (Mahogany, Purpleheart, Ebony)

Fostex TH-X00 and TH600 in Lawton cups (Marbled Flame Padauk, Bloodwood) and TH900 (Japanese Birch)

ZMF Ori (Padauk, Cocobolo, Purpleheart)

Fischer Audio FA-011 10th AE, Normal, and LE.

A lot of Audio Technica ... won't list them all .... too many.

Kennerton Magister, Fischer Audio FA-003 in Old Wood Beech, and Karelian Birch.

Now, our favorite  ... Kennerton Odin Mk1 (Sapele) Mk2 (Amaranth/Purpleheart) and Vali (Natural, Varnished)

Talking about Magister.... I really, but personally, feel that it's a black sheep of the Kennerton family. It's built and feel more like a step-up Fischer Audio. A blend between the two brands. Nothing wrong with that, though. But it doesn't possess the "House Sound" and the "Build Quality" of the Odin/Vali. The wood and wood craftsmanship is top notch though. Compared to the Ori, they are totally different beasts. The Ori is definitely warmer and more laid back, with deep and authoritative bass, especially with the cowhide pads. Magister feels somewhat more neutral. Some weird roller-coster of the mid-bass bump without sub-bass extension and with 'feels like something's missing' in the mid, especially compared to other Kennertons. It can sound good to some, obviously ... but I really do think the Vali is ways better value-for-money. Again, I love the Bog Oak cups. Couldn't resist holding something older than my country in my hands :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back