Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 25, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #828 of 10,026
I just asked my local Kennerton dealer about ordering the limited exotic wood edition .... and he said yes, he can order one for me :D

I'd been thinking about getting my 2nd pair of Odin for a long time since I like it so much. 

.... but ....

I'd been thinking about the Old Wood edition since the first time I saw it. I think the old-wood finish really goes well with the vintage design, and make it looks really vintage, like artifacts from WW2 era .... Now I have to really make a decision whether getting the old wood edition or one of the exotic woods. 

Anyone care to help me pick which one? :D

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #829 of 10,026

I'd been thinking about getting my 2nd pair of Odin for a long time since I like it so much. 

Anyone care to help me pick which one? :D

Get both. 
biggrin.gif

(I got 3 of my favorite BT headphones--Philips Fidelio M2BT--so that I would never be without in the future. I suppose the fact that they've gone from $400 to $195 over the past year makes this an apples and oranges comparison, but the sentiment remains the same.)

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #831 of 10,026

Get both. 
biggrin.gif

(I got 3 of my favorite BT headphones--Philips Fidelio M2BT--so that I would never be without in the future. I suppose the fact that they've gone from $400 to $195 over the past year makes this an apples and oranges comparison, but the sentiment remains the same.)

I know exactly what you mean!! I also have multiple pairs for headphones I really like. Actually, I have 3 pairs of ZMF Omni :p

If the Odin was a $1,000 headphone, then I would be getting both. But being a > $2,000 ... that's not an option for me yet.

I consider myself lucky already that I could afford a 2nd pair.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #833 of 10,026
Hi All, Just hoping to get some more thoughts/opinions: Would the Odin make a good headphone for classical music? I'm looking for something with almost as much detail/transparency as say the Senn HD800, but hoping for something a little smoother/warmer/more full-bodied. I can't audition these so just going by information I can gather from others. My amp is likely going to be a Woo WA22. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Also, anyone know if they claim any sonic differences between the wood options (walnut, sapele, old, other)?

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #834 of 10,026

Not at all earfonia. These wood is a special edition from Kennerton themselves like boag oak, amarante and zebrano woods.
But i find these one (bubinga) very classy.

Ask the question at your importer/distributor of the brand Kennerton in Singapore ; in France, with Pierre Paya (French importer/distributor of the brand Kennerton), we have these following price, including the TVA French tax 20 %. 

See this link for the price (in France) all taxes included: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178987469.html#p178987469

and this other link for these beautiful Odin produced by Kennerton: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178998694.html#p178998694
or here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/765#post_12866359

Awesome! Thanks for the info and nice pics! Definitely will check with the local dealer when one day I'm getting the Odin.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #835 of 10,026
  Hi All, Just hoping to get some more thoughts/opinions: Would the Odin make a good headphone for classical music? I'm looking for something with almost as much detail/transparency as say the Senn HD800, but hoping for something a little smoother/warmer/more full-bodied. I can't audition these so just going by information I can gather from others. My amp is likely going to be a Woo WA22. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Also, anyone know if they claim any sonic differences between the wood options (walnut, sapele, old, other)?

IMHO, Odin is definitely great for classical, but it is not a little smoother / warmer than HD800. I would say, in comparison to the bright sounding HD800, Odin is moderately smoother and warmer, and most important sound fuller with better tonal density than HD800.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #836 of 10,026
IMHO, Odin is definitely great for classical, but it is not a little smoother / warmer than HD800. I would say, in comparison to the bright sounding HD800, Odin is moderately smoother and warmer, and most important sound fuller with better tonal density than HD800.

A friend of mine listen classical music very often. He use an HD800 and try the Odin for upgrade. He's not convinced and find in Abyss a better improvement for classical.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #837 of 10,026
A friend of mine listen classical music very often. He use an HD800 and try the Odin for upgrade. He's not convinced and find in Abyss a better improvement for classical.

To be honest, HD800 and Odin are not comparable, they are different and one cannot be considered an upgrade of the other. So if ones like HD800 sound signature, I would say probably Focal Utopia is probably a better option when looking for an upgrade. Abyss has better dynamic than both HD800 and Odin, but I find Abyss tonality is not as natural sounding as Odin, a bit more colored. To me, I prefer Odin for classical than HD800. I find HD800 a bit too bright for my liking.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #839 of 10,026

No, the choice between several woods don't affect the sonic presentation. My dealer has got all woods varients and don't hear any difference and he is very qualified in audio.
The Odin is an openback and wood don't affect the sound signature like wood with closed headphones.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #840 of 10,026
No, the choice between several woods don't affect the sonic presentation. My dealer has got all woods varients and don't hear any difference and he is very qualified in audio.
The Odin is an openback and wood don't affect the sound signature like wood with closed headphones.

But the weight of the headphone slightly vary depending on the wood density. 
wink.gif

Otherwise, even if the Odin headphone is easy to drive, with its 35 ohms impedance and its high sensitivity (> 100 dB / 1 mW) for an orthodynamic headphone (note, a DAP is usable), the sound quality and control of bass, and the dynamics and fluidity greatly depend on the choice of the amplifier associated with Odin. 

Better is the quality of the amplifier, better is the sound; Odin headphone is not, here, the limiting factor, which proves the high quality of the Odin headphone.
For proof, the CEO of Kennerton (which has the same Odin as mine, wooden in Karelian Birch) could not imagine what could give her baby (the Odin) with the amplifier tubes Viva Egoista 845, to the point, now, that he wants to buy one !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back