KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,066 of 1,358
I hate tip rolling so hard. But in doing so, I managed to find a pair that I could make work with these, and can wear them down now. So, much happier. Still, they should have just routed the cable through the flex arm thing like the EX1000 - at least to me that would have made more sense. I get some microphonics but nothing crazy, I'll probably try a shirt clip with them.

Quote:
Jesus Christ, with M200 i can hear a singer lips close and open in a vocal song.

Yeah, these are remarkably detailed especially when you consider how smooth they are. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,067 of 1,358
This is the reason why m200, with 12 ohm, is so hard to drive:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1236:kef-m200-earphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,068 of 1,358
Contact KEF like I did to get the set of tips that may fit you better.  Mine came with the silicone tips and the large fits quite nicely for a change. I received a response from them after 2 days of the initial email request. I don't need the foam tips, but it's a nice to have to experiment at the very least without costing a cent. 

The SQ at $50 is just INSANE, IMO.

+1...until now my V-Moda M80s at $40 were the best value purchase I've made. At $50, these are simply astounding.

I want to correct a comment before. I just found the IE80 double-flange silicon tips fit M200 sooooooooooooo well! Actually comply tips does not work well. It make it sound dark!! WIth the IE80's double-flange, M200 sounds amazing! Very very natural, much brighter than with the comply tips and moreover, you'll get the soundstage and the bass at the same time!! Before I tried the double-flange on IE80 just feel it too bassy. So on M200, it works so well!!
Cheers:darthsmile:

More and more like this huge earphones! :darthsmile: With the IE80 double-flange tips, it's on par with IE80 for listening to symphony/orchestra/classical!

Am also using double-flanges and they are the perfect combination of fit and sound for me as well.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,070 of 1,358
I'm actually getting driver flex with my set now. Apparently all the fidgeting trying to get a seal took its toll on the drivers. Not sure I've ever had that happen before. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,071 of 1,358
I RMA mine for the same reason.  It sounds like the M200 batch that came with just the silicone tips like my first one are prone to driver flex, more so than the later ones with just the foam tips or the combo of the two. Waiting on replacement from Newegg, but so far, so good.  Also, I received the foam tips free from KEF.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,075 of 1,358
I've been recommending the JVC spiral dots. If only I can get a set of small without spending 20 bucks on a box!

Small on the M200's? I'm not sure how well that would work with the M200's tbh.

Anyway, I got a box of M's and a box of L's and they work so well on various iems that they are all being used now and I might have to buy more!

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,077 of 1,358
I think small will still fit since the nozzle diameter for which the tips are designed for remains the same. And i agree that they're excellent. I also need several more pairs.

Yes, I think they will fit onto the nozzle. It's just that I find the M200's to sound best with larger tips. pack21 said it well here...

I've never seen a iem so dependent on tips and on seal so demanding. The sound of the M200 can go from beautiful to ugly, only with the seal.

If you try a very deep and tight seal, lose soundstage and give place just for bass. If the seal is weak with M tips in my case, won in soundstage size, but completely lose the bass.

The spot point for me, is to use tips L, and just put the tip in the ear canal, without having to push too much force for deep seal. when I'm in this spot, M200 shine in all its splendor.
basshead.gif

So, too much deep seal is not ideal for M200.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,078 of 1,358
I think this thread should belong to here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-first-look-at-the-zero-audio-duoza-iems-by-ericp10-page-1817/17520

hope to see more reviews and comparison here!

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,079 of 1,358
  I'm actually getting driver flex with my set now. Apparently all the fidgeting trying to get a seal took its toll on the drivers. Not sure I've ever had that happen before. 

This is making me nervous. But I have to ask, is the fidgeting really what's causing the driver flex?

I mean, I can't image a design that's so exposed and vulnerable that any amount of normal adjusting should damage the drivers. Aren't the drivers encapsulated in the metal body?

I can understand that the driver flex may be due to some manufacturing defect, but I would never imagine that a normal amount of adjustment should result in driver damage.

Having said that, I do find that I have to fight against the earhooks more than any other IEM I've ever used. As a result, I do twist and pivot them in and out of my ears to achieve a seal more roughly than any other IEM I've ever used.

But I would never suspect this should cause driver flex. Am I wrong?

I actually never heard of driver flex until I got these IEMs.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,080 of 1,358

This is making me nervous. But I have to ask, is the fidgeting really what's causing the driver flex?

I mean, I can't image a design that's so exposed and vulnerable that any amount of normal adjusting should damage the drivers. Aren't the drivers encapsulated in the metal body?

I can understand that the driver flex may be due to some manufacturing defect, but I would never imagine that a normal amount of adjustment should result in driver damage.

Having said that, I do find that I have to fight against the earhooks more than any other IEM I've ever used. As a result, I do twist and pivot them in and out of my ears to achieve a seal more roughly than any other IEM I've ever used.

But I would never suspect this should cause driver flex. Am I wrong?

I actually never heard of driver flex until I got these IEMs.

I have a bit of driver flex in various iems. My hunch is that a driver with flex is simply more prone to dying someday, but that it might never die. Whether or not the act of adjusting the iems a lot, thus creating driver flex often, could cause them to die sooner... you never know. 

Anyway, maybe someone else has more definitive information about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back