KEF M200 for Metal/Rock/some Classic on Laptop and Android?
Nov 26, 2013 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chbla

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I initially was looking for portable (bluetooth) over/on ear headphones. But after reading a bit I decided
that it is probably better to go for good IEMs.
I came across the KEF M200 which seem to be really good, my price limit is around 300 USD.

I listen to:

metal/metalcore (rather bass heavy), classic, mostly piano (e.g. Ludovico Einaudi), acoustic Guitar, sometimes Audiobooks/Radio Documentaries

The headpones are mostly connected to my laptop and smartphone (android). Currently I don't have an amplifier or better soundcard.

My questions are:

- Are they suitable for my purpose above?
- Will they hold tight when doing sports as well? (running)
- Will they work ok without an amp/usb soundcard or should I get one?

What I'm not sure about is that they go in quite deep, I never tried that - I think if they were a bit lose it would be more
comfortable..
Alternatives I found include the Monster Turbine Pro.. but there are just so many choices..

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 11
same here. laptop and Android smartphone.

In answering to your questions:
1 yes
2 can walk about with it, but not for running/gym
3 with your setup. Absolutely needs amping.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks a lot for your answer!
Do you mean it is lose or gets out when running?
Absolutely needs amping - Some said that it's nice without amp but would benefit from an amp.. is it worth it to use it without an amp on the phone but better soundcard/amp on the laptop? Sometimes I don't want to carry a lot of additional stuff..
What setup are you using on the laptop and phone?

Can you/anyone suggest alternatives in this price/quality category that would fit my needs better?
I'm not sure about the current IEMs, most lists are outdated so I assume there are already better ones in the past
2 years..
Regarding sports I can imagine to just get an additional one (cheaper) for this purpose, as I cannot concentrate on the sound quality
much anyway when running :)

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 11
UE900 if they're anything like TF10s are quite good for metal as well

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 11
M200 does not need amping... it's relatively sensitive since it's IEM, any gains from an amp will be minimal
It will however benefit from a better source. 
One of the known problems with the M200 is the fit, not sure how will it will do with sports
I'd personally go with something more secure, plus how often do you focus on sound quality when you are actively engaging in sport?

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the information!
Yeah that's what I meant, I think I don't care about that and just get a cheaper BT headset (additionally) for sports..

What alternative would you suggest?

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 11
  Thanks a lot for your answer!
Do you mean it is lose or gets out when running?
Absolutely needs amping - Some said that it's nice without amp but would benefit from an amp.. is it worth it to use it without an amp on the phone but better soundcard/amp on the laptop? Sometimes I don't want to carry a lot of additional stuff..
What setup are you using on the laptop and phone?

Can you/anyone suggest alternatives in this price/quality category that would fit my needs better?
I'm not sure about the current IEMs, most lists are outdated so I assume there are already better ones in the past
2 years..
Regarding sports I can imagine to just get an additional one (cheaper) for this purpose, as I cannot concentrate on the sound quality
much anyway when running :)

Thanks!

Yeah the seal will break and become loose when running. Since exercising it's more focused on getting that pumping bass to get the adrenalin flowing once the seal break loose the bass is almost completely gone so not recommended for this purpose.

The M200 has a sensitivity of 94dB at 12Ohm, coupled with a ridiculous Euro Safety Hearing Standard (CENELEC standard EN60065/A12), so if you don't have a great source, the M200 will only sound good. Pair it with an amp/DAC will sound great and get your toes tapping. That increase in performance to me is substantial. Since you don't have a dedicated soundcard like me, my new Asus laptop at max volume still cannot drive the M200 with full power. It sounds so much better with an amp/DAC in this case. If your Android smartphone is not Note 2/ S3 and newer, an amp is necessary. 

For exercising, VSonic VSD1 is recommended, being relatively cheap too so you don't need to worry about damaging your precious IEM.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 11
And good pick on the M200 for good sound quality, as noted by several members who've owned lots of IEMs, including ones much more expensive than the M200. If you decide to go for M200, do buy from places that offer returns/exchange because of concerns some have trouble with the fit

DannyBai and I have been trying to tell you guys that you can't get much better than the M200 in an iem for the price. For me it's the universal of the year! That's considering , price, sound and build. If you can get a good fit, it's hard to beat it. Happy listening.

Amen to that. It could be classified as a giant killer. 
wink.gif

Im going to have to agree here as well.  I would say a tier below the Cardas, but in the conversation with the W4, 4.Ai, etc (by memory).  Of course fit will be an issue for some.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks a lot for your help and clarification!

Regarding the hardware I use:

Nexus 5
Nexus 7
Sony Vaio Fit Multi-Flip

All devices came out within the last 2 month, so I'm unsure about how good the hardware is.

Anyway, can someone recommend entry-level Soundcards and portable AMPs that I could use?
I saw that some here in the forum have the very small FiiO E6 Amps, that are relatively cheap, is this an option for travelling etc?

I will probably get the Kef.. the reviews are really good

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back