Kef LS50 wireless II, unofficial guide to the best desktop bookshelf wireless speakers?
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Whazzzup

Headphoneus Supremus
Well my old school kef 300A needs upgrading and perused various options. I don’t have speaker amp so want to use internal dac, no usb this time, wireless that can do apple play or play roon core from my antipodes music server wireless network as well. The specs seem impressive on the new Kef wireless II system, so is the price Canadian, at over 3500$, but comments have been, it’s worth every penny.
Anyways I’m tossing the thread into the ether of head fi to see if folks have this system, or compared this system, or have views on a comparable book shelf speakers at this quality level, for ease of installation, use, and sound quality.

ModelLS50 Wireless II
Drive UnitsUni-Q Driver Array:
LF: 130 mm (5.25 in.) aluminium cone
HF: 25 mm (1 in.) vented aluminium dome with Metamaterial Absorption Technology
Frequency range (-6dB) measured at 85dB/1m40 Hz – 47 kHz *Depends on EQ settings
Frequency response (±3dB) measured at 85dB/1m45 Hz – 28 kHz *Depends on EQ settings
Amplifier output power (per speaker)LF: 280W HF: 100W
Wireless streaming featuresAirPlay 2
Google Chromecast
ROON Ready
UPnP Compatible
Bluetooth 4.2
Streaming servicesSpotify via Spotify Connect
Tidal
Amazon Music
Qobuz
Deezer
QQ Music via QPlay
Internet Radio
Podcast
Source resolutionNetwork up to 384kHz/24bit Optical up to 96kHz/24bit
Coaxial up to 192kHz/24bit
HDMI up to 192kHz/24bit
Interspeaker connectionWireless: all sources resampled to 96kHz/24bit PCM
Wired: all sources resampled to 192kHz/24bit PCM
Supported format (all inputs)MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, WMA, LPCM and Ogg Vorbis
Supported format (network)MQA
DSF: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
DFF: DSD64
Dimensions (HWD per speaker)305 x 200 x 311 mm (12 x 7.9 x 12.2 in.)
Weight (per set)20.1kg (44.31lbs)
Power input100 – 240VAC 50/60Hz
Power consumption200W (operating power)
<2.0W (standby power)
Primary speaker InputsHDMI eARC
TOSLINK Optical
Digital Coaxial
Analog 3.5mm Auxiliary
USB Type A (service)
RJ45 Ethernet (network)
RJ45 Ethernet (interspeaker)
OutputRCA Subwoofer output
Wi-Fi network standardDual-band 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz
Secondary speaker InputsUSB Type A (service)
RJ45 Ethernet (interspeaker)

What's New
Owners of the LS50 Wireless may be wondering what’s new? The answer: pretty much everything. The original was fantastic, but LS50 Wireless II is better in every respect, with improved sound, better connectivity and usability.
So any thoughts, comments, pictures, whatever in the desktop / computer/ wireless speaker solution appreciated, possibly an unofficial LS50 Wireless II reference point and sounding board?

439D6104-7F1A-42C5-8821-BABFF5A039AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 16
Nice speakers, thanks for that. there's not a lot of competition in the roon network access wireless high end speaker category. But ill keep looking, otherwise eventually will pull the trigger here at some point. pics, observations to come. Until then keep perusing, not like black Friday or boxing day sales are around the corner.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 16
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeah i forgot its just wireless whitout "Meta" in it. Genelec have big advantage in bass capabilities.
Wireless though gonna need sub for sure. Still dont know why Kef never made 2.1 desktop system... Big hassle trying to implement a sub to a stereo system.
Good luck shoping! im looking for simmilar desktop solution.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 16
Sub would be nice, but not critical for my solution. It’s not meant for home theatre or living room application. It’s a man’s den/office type situation. Just a listening room and not large at that.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 16
Especially for our Canadian friends I like Totem Acoustic Speakers. I'll be up front and say I have never heard these specific speakers, they have a Powered Speaker with a 5.25 driver. Its the Kin Play Monitor and about 1,000 CDN.

I have liked almost every Totem Speaker I have heard. Been saving up for some Sky Bookshelf's.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 16
which one better in sound, metas or wireless 2?

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 16
which one better in sound, metas or wireless 2?
good question , however wireless ii isbetter, from brand material, is the next evolution for Kef really actually better? Kef thinks so but is it

more reading material

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/kef-ls50-meta-ls50

here a comparison for kef wireless ii versus more expensive buchardt a500, it concludes the Kef looks better, more ease of use, and better value solution. only drawback no usb direct connectivity. I’ll caveat I’m leaning to “mom and pop“ solutions, which I prefer to call, plug and play solution.

another comparison

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/kef-ls50-meta-ls50-wireless-ii-speakers/

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 16
more info just on the back burner till tax refund time. Then let it rip.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 16
If anybody has these hooked up by LAN to a fast router, can you let me know what lights you see on the back? When plugged in the KEFs shut switch the router port they're hooked up to from 1000/full duplex to 100/full duplex. I'm getting a green and amber light. Same cord hooked to my laptop and the router jumps back to 1000/full.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Yeah i forgot its just wireless whitout "Meta" in it. Genelec have big advantage in bass capabilities.
Wireless though gonna need sub for sure. Still dont know why Kef never made 2.1 desktop system... Big hassle trying to implement a sub to a stereo system.
Good luck shoping! im looking for simmilar desktop solution.
They did, see https://eu.kef.com/products/kc62-subwoofer

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Disregard..KEF Customer Support says the port maxes out at 100Mbs
If anybody has these hooked up by LAN to a fast router, can you let me know what lights you see on the back? When plugged in the KEFs shut switch the router port they're hooked up to from 1000/full duplex to 100/full duplex. I'm getting a green and amber light. Same cord hooked to my laptop and the router jumps back to 1000/full.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 16
Hi Everyone,
After thinking long and hard I am saving up for these instead of going for the lsx II as I was originally planning. Going to use it mostly with music. Would I need a sub for this or speakers alone enough? Mostly classical.
Also, I would like to use these on my desk next to my computer. But I cant find any desk pads that fit these. Would the p1 work, that one is made for the lsx so I guess not.. Anny suggestions? I would rather not just plop them on my desk as is...
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings,Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back