Karnivool - Sound Awake Album
Jun 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Well i just purchased Karnivool's new album "Sound Awake" and it's killer
biggrin.gif
If anyone has never heard of these guys. They are fellow Australian's who do Progressive Metal/Rock and are damn good at it. It's definitely a change compared to there previous album "The Mata"

If no one has heard them and is interested check out a few youtube clips.

From "The Mata" Album:

YouTube - Karnivool - Shutterspeed

YouTube - Karnivool - Lifelike

From the "Sound Awake" Album:

YouTube - Karnivool "Set Fire to the Hive"

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Owned Thermata and absolutely love it. Just got Sound Awake and although it's different, I'm really enjoying this album. Was going to spin it again today...

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 8
Glad to hear one person is into them lol
wink.gif

The new album is definitely a step in another direction! Cant really compare it to any of the old stuff. Very mellow is some area's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelusjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owned Thermata and absolutely love it. Just got Sound Awake and although it's different, I'm really enjoying this album. Was going to spin it again today...

Marvelusjd you have heard Kenny's other band "Birds of Tokyo" *Edited* Coz i put Drew instead of Kenny
wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81eU...eature=related

Different sounding but his voice has always been awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Was going to post a thread on this but figured no one would be interested - I was wrong!

I rushed out and got this on the day it came out. Even waited a few hours because the delivery was later than expected.

While definitely more technical and musically superior to Themata, I still enjoy their first album more. I have been waiting 4 years for this release, and no doubt I had high expectations. I just miss the anthemic sound from Themata. With that said, the bass and drumming in Sound Awake is mind blowing - these guys are so talented. I am happy they are not chasing commercial success, with three songs over eight minutes long it can hardly be considered something after radio time. A lot heavier on the progressive side with more hints of metal, which is partly why I had a hard time getting into it as I don't consider myself a metal fan.

Each listen, Sound Awake is growing on me more and more. Change was a disappointment though, totally not what I expected - it pretty much bears zero resemblance to Part 1 and so listening to them in order is a bit strange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marvelusjd you have heard Drew's other band "Birds of Tokyo"

YouTube - Birds of tokyo - Broken Bones/Silhouettic

Different sounding but his voice has always been awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, that is Kenny's other band - Drew (Andrew Goddard) is the lead guitarist of 'Vool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, I have heard Birds of Tokyo and they were great to listen too while waiting for this album to come out.

I agree with Joe that we all had high expectations and for me, this filled it while being very different. These guys are definitely maturing.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Sound Awake is a CD that has grown on me. Like others, I had a fear that it wouldn't compare with Themata - and that fear was both realised and appreciated. It has similarities in places - but when I hear New Day, it sends shivers up my spine, as does Change Part 2 which has some of it's basis in Australian Indigenous culture. But what I love most about the CD are two things. First there is an almost symphonic feel to some of the music that is breath-takingly marvellous (I can hear a symphony orchestra playing some of these tracks.,And secondly, there is the connection kin all songe the major theme of the CD (in my view) which is the sense of the world itself needing to change and the change lies within each of us if we will get off our bums and do something about it. Over and over, the lyrics give a sense of despair and yet a message of hope about tomorrow. Try "Deadman" for example - the sadness throughout and yet it finishes by exhorting that "still I remind myself, how I define myself" - or, no matter how bad things get, I still have myself. Then go back to New Day and listen again again.

Great album and destined for much bigger things.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Wow! I really enjoyed Themata. Is the recording quality as good???

Themata was a very good example of maintaining dynamic range for a rock/metal album and not compressing it to hell to make it sound powerful and crunchy. Gonna get this one asap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back