Kanye West. Discuss
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
And here we go :)
Kanye West's music is just.... amazing? I'm listening to all of his music right now in FLAC on my setup and I'm loving every minute of it. 

I think it's the seamless integration of the beats along with the vocals of each song. Just so... perfect.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 41
I wouldn't call his music amazing at all..

redface.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 41
I listened to Graduation the other day. Still a great album. Hopefully his next album delivers; I think Graduation was the culmination (like the name suggests) of all his albums so far. It was more a refined Touch the Sky, All Falls Down, Diamonds, Through the Wire.

I like the artistic approach he's taking with it though. Not too sure about the content as of yet, Power wasn't too high up on my list of recently released material. 

Quote:
I wouldn't call his music amazing at all..

Not saying it is, but why not? I hope you don't make any generalizations now.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 41
I think he is one of the best Hip-Hop/Rap artists around.  Rap is my least favorite type of music, but I do like a select few artists and he is one of them.    Kanye, Jay-Z and Common are really the only rappers I listen to and enjoy.  Although 808s & Heartbreaks was terrible. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 41
He's pretty good... definitely not perfect lol.  I feel the only two rappers/rap groups I've truly been amazed by are CunninLynguists and Astronautalis.  My admiration for both stems from their amazing production.  Kno and Astronautalis are exceptional producers IMO.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 41
Can't decide which, but his music has always struck me as either obvious or contrived, even when I kinda dig what he's going for. There's just something that keeps me at arms length.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 41
Let me just say I really strongly dislike most rap but I think "College Dropout" is a pretty good album.  His last album is incredibly awful and he has to be one of the biggest D-bags in the world.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 41
I also have to say that I do not like Kanye West at all. I listen to many rappers (generally oldschool - 80s and 90s) and Kanye just does not seem to 'do' rap as good as others. Maybe it is just his style that is so "un-amazing at all" for me. While I do not like his rap I really enjoyed his performance in "Love Lockdown" song.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 41
Kayne, I'm really happy for ya and Imma letcha finish but Tupac was the best rapper of all time!!! OF ALL TIME!!!

I believe that says it all. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 41
It's just bad, mainstream music.  His 'raps' are dumb.  He's cocky.  His autotune hurts my ears.  He's a big baby.

There's so many better rappers and artists that I would much rather listen to.

Did somebody just post that they like Love Lockdown?
rolleyes.gif
Perfect example of autotune right there.
(btw, i'm not dissing you or anything, just saying that love lockdown is a good example of autotune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not saying it is, but why not? I hope you don't make any generalizations now.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 41
I agree on personality, he is too cocky for no reason. He still has a long way ago before he can even begin to have warrant for that type of behavior.

Quote:
It's just bad, mainstream music.  His 'raps' are dumb.  He's cocky.  His autotune hurts my ears.  He's a big baby.

There's so many better rappers and artists that I would much rather listen to.

Did somebody just post that they like Love Lockdown?
rolleyes.gif
Perfect example of autotune right there.
(btw, i'm not dissing you or anything, just saying that love lockdown is a good example of autotune)  

It's all good, I just like hearing people's opinions, etc.

Just wondering, have you heard his 'raps' that aren't on the radio or on TV? Were you aware that besides 808 there have only been maybe one or two songs using autotune? Having listened to more rappers and hip hop artists than I can count, if you think Kanye is "dumb" you'd be better off staying as far away from hip hop as you can. Because besides the radio hits, some of his songs have you sitting down, reading lyrics and sifting through double entendres, extended metaphors, imagery, politics, religion and quite a few other things that 90% of current and past rappers don't/didn't even understand if literally explained to them.

Also, just so I know where you're coming from, which rappers and artists would you rather listen to?

Funny thing is, Kanye is NOWHERE near my top favorite rappers. It's just I need to voice my opinion sometimes when people aren't given the credit due, regardless of behavior, attitude and personality. Given the current state of hip hop (Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Diddy, Soulja Boy, Drake, Gucci Mane, Eminem, etc.) sometimes you need to stand up for the guys that are doing it right. Talent is talent and everything else should fall by the wayside. You can either like him as a rapper, a human being or both. No need to discredit anyone.

I can appreciate everyone's point of view.

Quote:
Can't decide which, but his music has always struck me as either obvious or contrived, even when I kinda dig what he's going for.

I can see contrived.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 41
I admit, I haven't listened to any of his stuff besides what he's got on the radio (over here, that's been like, at least 6 songs maybe more).  I just didn't care for any of them enough to see what else he has out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back