K81DJs "accidently" broke. I need some headphone advice <$150.
Oct 8, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
The title says it all. I have two options in mind. I can get some SR-225s or DT770/80. I am also open to new suggestions. I mostly listen to rock. My favorite bands are currently The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, and A Perfect Circle, but I also like to mellow out to Pink Floyd and Death Cab every now and then. I would also like to be able to use them for some light gaming. I only get to play a couple times a month, but it would be nice to be able to use them for that.

Comfort is an issue for me. I like being able to keep them on for hours. Also, I don't care as to whether they are open or closed. If they are open, I will have to silence my PC, but that isn't a big deal.

I would like to keep them as cheap as possible. I already have a Pimeta that I build a few months ago so no amp will be necessary.

I am only 17, and I don't like spending money. If you have any other recommendations, go ahead and give them to me.

-Side Story (Read only if you are bored!)-
I was actually not upset when my K81DJs broke. I have been using them for my home setup since around March. I fell asleep on a long car ride once, and then, to my dismay, the left arm bent a little. (Odd, because I was sleeping on my right side.) Anyways, I bent them back, but they weren't perfect. Whenever I would wear them, they would end up bending back. Today, I finally decided to try to bend them back to normal. *SNAP!* I have wanted a new pair of phones for a while so that I could make these my portable cans. Well, this gives me an excuse to tell the parents when they see them arrive at our door. After I have bought them, I will see if I can get a new band for the DJs, because I love them as portable phones.

-EDIT- I looked back through 35 pages to see if I could find some answers, but no posts have really been in my price range. Most are set for under $100 or over $200. I know you guys get bombarded with posts like this everyday, but I really appreciate it.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 13
After reading the MS1 thread, it makes me want to buy them so read the posts there and see! They're only a 100 bucks too

Edit: It seems like they're comfortable after a few mods, so consider it. And then you can tell me how it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 13
HD580s are not easily obtainable anymore at a descent price. $180 is a little out of my price range to get them from a dealer.

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 13
I listen to a lot of rock with my es7's. I actually have a broad taste in music, and they handle every genre I listen to quite well. The es7 also have a pretty nice soundstage for closed portable cans, as I use them to play counterstrike 1.6 competitively. I use these as a home can, but of course they are made as portable phones. At the same pricerange for music (primarily rock) alone, I believe that the ms1 are probably preferred by many users to the es7.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 13
haha, I had a pair of AKG K81DJ'z and the jack was defected...so i replaced them with Sony MDR-7506/V6..they were really nice replacement.....but I wanted more and had those suckers exchanged for DT-770/250 ohm

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send them back for replacement...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...stomer+service

They are recabled, and that probably voids the warranty. No, I cannot just put the stock cable back on, because I threw it away when I took it off because it was completely trashed. I am going to contact AKG and see if I can buy a headband for them or try to find someone on head-fi that broke their drivers and would like to sell the headband.

I really want a new set of cans to serve as my dynamic set. The K81s broke so that is going to be my excuse when they see a new set of phones on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anymore suggestions? I really haven't gotten anything to go on. If I can find a pair of HD580s for my price range, I am definitely going to snag them, but they are few and far between now. The SR225s will probably be a fun headphone for me, because I listen to mainly rock. The DT770s, well, I don't know about them yet.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 13
As much as I love my ES7's, for home use you might want to look more at the AT-A700's (closed) or AT-AD700's (open). They are both very comfortable, work with or without amplification, more suited for home (longer cord - ES7 has a very short cord) and both these cans seem to be highly regarded by fellow Head-fiers. I have auditioned HD580's and they seemed to me to be very dependent on "quality" amplification. Not just any amplifier will get the best results.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 13
You have great taste in music. (C&C, TMV and DT are my 3 fav. bands!)

I went from K81DJ to SR225. Huge improvement. Get a good amp too.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks man. I am probably going to take some of your bands listed on your sig now. Haha. I am just now getting into Prog Rock so I don't know what exactly to sample.

My Pimeta should be able to handle it. I will have to ask on the DIY forums. Given my musical tastes, I am really thinking about the SR225, I just wish there was somewhere around here I could audition headphones.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man. I am probably going to take some of your bands listed on your sig now. Haha. I am just now getting into Prog Rock so I don't know what exactly to sample.

My Pimeta should be able to handle it. I will have to ask on the DIY forums. Given my musical tastes, I am really thinking about the SR225, I just wish there was somewhere around here I could audition headphones.

Having had the K81s and currently owning the 'Mallows and SR225 I can say that you will not be disappointed with the SR225s for your taste in music. I found the HD580s too dark and the AT-AH900 (bigger brother of the AH700) to not have the energy that the Grados do. Get the 225.

Your PIMETA will be just fine initially though the SR225s really do deserve a high current tube amp.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 13
I have heard that the SR225s can be uncomfortable. I know that the K81s were very uncomfortable when I got them and eventually worked itself out, but that left them looking "loose" when I dangled them from my makeshift hangar. Also, do the SR225s come with a dedicated case? I hated not having a case for my K81s. I really try to take care of my stuff, but without a case, I just had them laying around all the time.

Thanks for all of the opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back