K702 with Black Dragon and detachable modification
Feb 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

realmassy

Headphoneus Supremus
I waited few weeks before writing impressions on my new purchase as I wanted to make sure the case were burnt in, and the 'honey-moon' period ended.
First of all, Drew has been really patient with me, replying every single email in few minutes, despite the time zone. I counted more that 30 emails :)
And I changed my mind a few times before deciding for the AKGs.
Finally I went for a pair of K702s, with detachable dual-entry modification, and Black Dragon cable terminated with 4 Pin connector.
They're visually stunning (though next time I would go for the white and poshy K701s) and they sound great.
They're a really nice match with my Roc amp and the music listen to (mostly acoustic jazz and chamber music): the level of detail is fantastic, with a nice sound stage, and a treble never too hot. I compared them against a a pair of balanced DT880s and I ended up selling the beyers.
I like the wide presentation, with the sound coming from 'outside of my head', really 'polite' and balanced. The bass is great with a punch never heard with the beyers, fast and tight, with clear attack and decay.
The sound of the double bass is really something nice: Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Charlie Haden never sound so real to my ears.
Highly recommended.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Looks like this may be my next purchase. Right down my alley with the kind of music I like. I think white 701's recabled would be stunning and I can't wait to compare to my HD 650. Thanks Massi for the review.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Nice mini review!

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Just got my K702 today!
(like, two hrs ago)
Had the Senn 595 for two wks now.
(its going back because its un-comfortable)
Of coarse the 595 has more bass (& the K702 isn't broken in). There is the slightness more relaxed presentation w/the 702 & voices are a bit more natural.
The 595 is a good 'phone; being efficient & w/bottom end.
Just I'm hoping for more refinement w/the 702.
Really looking forward too that 100 hr mark!!!
And a new cable fr: SoloZ "The Bold".
(testing them out w/Pink Floyd: "WYWH" CBS CD)

Enjoy!

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Quick update after few more weeks.
These cans keep getting better and better: the definition of the bass is now exemplary, with a good extension. The highs are NEVER hot and fatiguing, with great sense of transparency and a sound stage wide, deep and well defined.
While I'm typing I'm listening to Haydn's string quartets and the sound is credible, almost real, especially given how difficult is correctly reproduce violins.
One more test is organ music: I've listened to Handel organ concert no.7 and the result was brilliant, the attack simply got me goose bumps.
I'm going to upgrade the DAC soon, and I'm curious to hear how these AKGs will perform: I can see a big grin on my face in the near future :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back