K701 through Caliente - what do you think?
May 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

500+ Head-Fier
Trust me when I say I've read a good few dozen threads about the K701. However, I'm starting another because most of these recommendation threads are for people using portable amps like the HeadSix or BitHead, which probably are nowhere near sufficient for the K701. So, here's my K701 question thread.

How is it if I drive it through a Purity Audio Caliente, a solid-state amp known for its warmth? No vacuum tubes for me, by the way - they're too fragile and protrusive for my convenience or peace of mind. I'll also be feeding the amp with a mid-low level DAC; probably a used KECES 151 if I find it, or one of those new Audinst MX1s. These elements are not negotiable. Please don't recommend me any more amps/DACs, unless you're convinced they're the holy grail at a similar price.

My music collection is almost all alternative rock, which isn't exactly an 'audiophile' genre. But, before I get bombarded with posts saying I should get Grados or HD650s, there's some finer details I want to disclose.

I've been using IEMs since the start of the year - damn you, pityriasis rosea on the ears - so I want to enjoy a nice, spacious soundstage.

I can stand treble. Before I got a Head-Fi account, I was using ER6s unamped with 'treble booster' EQ. Holy sibilance, right? Well, I'm not as tolerant of brightness anymore, but I still consider myself to be more hardened than others. That being said, I want bass that's totally present, but doesn't grab my attention as the main part of the sound signature. I'm fine with using EQ, too, for minor tweaking. Actually, I enjoy using EQ. It makes me feel technically proficient.

In the end, though, what I want is a musical experience I can enjoy. 500 hours of burn-in is no deterrent. But despite this interest in the K701s, I'm no K-ON! fanboy, either. From what I've read lately, the AD900s might be more up my street. I don't know if they'd still outperform the K701s with the kind of amplification described, though. Lastly, my headphone budget is $250, if you're going to recommend instead of post insight.

I welcome you to fire away, fellow Head-Fiers. Thanks in advance.

May 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 5
keces da-151, caliente, k702? my setup exactly...
wink.gif

i will say, emphatically, that i didn't start enjoying my k702s until i paired them with the caliente.

with my wa6, it never sounded "right". the bass is sweetened, rolled off just a tad. which is downright not the way to go with the k702 to my ears. not to mention the mids sounded, at times, sucked out. (once again, to my ears)

the caliente has plenty of power for the k70x. this amp allows the k702 to be fast, forward, exciting. they are still "bass neutral", mind you, but there's not the glaring lack of bass as there is with other pairings i've tried before.

May 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me when I say I've read a good few dozen threads about the K701. However, I'm starting another because most of these recommendation threads are for people using portable amps like the HeadSix or BitHead, which probably are nowhere near sufficient for the K701. So, here's my K701 question thread.

How is it if I drive it through a Purity Audio Caliente, a solid-state amp known for its warmth? No vacuum tubes for me, by the way - they're too fragile and protrusive for my convenience or peace of mind. I'll also be feeding the amp with a mid-low level DAC; probably a used KECES 151 if I find it, or one of those new Audinst MX1s. These elements are not negotiable. Please don't recommend me any more amps/DACs, unless you're convinced they're the holy grail at a similar price.

My music collection is almost all alternative rock, which isn't exactly an 'audiophile' genre. But, before I get bombarded with posts saying I should get Grados or HD650s, there's some finer details I want to disclose.

I've been using IEMs since the start of the year - damn you, pityriasis rosea on the ears - so I want to enjoy a nice, spacious soundstage.

I can stand treble. Before I got a Head-Fi account, I was using ER6s unamped with 'treble booster' EQ. Holy sibilance, right? Well, I'm not as tolerant of brightness anymore, but I still consider myself to be more hardened than others. That being said, I want bass that's totally present, but doesn't grab my attention as the main part of the sound signature. I'm fine with using EQ, too, for minor tweaking. Actually, I enjoy using EQ. It makes me feel technically proficient.

In the end, though, what I want is a musical experience I can enjoy. 500 hours of burn-in is no deterrent. But despite this interest in the K701s, I'm no K-ON! fanboy, either. From what I've read lately, the AD900s might be more up my street. I don't know if they'd still outperform the K701s with the kind of amplification described, though. Lastly, my headphone budget is $250, if you're going to recommend instead of post insight.

I welcome you to fire away, fellow Head-Fiers. Thanks in advance.

I just received the Matrix M Stage and it is a perfect match for the 701. 270.00 delivered and it sounds powerful musical detailed and neutral. I also have a Little Dot MK11 but the Matrix much more powerful and gets so much out of the 701. Food for thought.

May 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the caliente has plenty of power for the k70x. this amp allows the k702 to be fast, forward, exciting. they are still "bass neutral", mind you, but there's not the glaring lack of bass as there is with other pairings i've tried before.

x2...it will power the k702 with some headroom to spare (I generally listened to my K501 around the 12 o'clock range), and it adds a touch of perceivable/noticeable warmth/weight to what I consider a very neutral bass.

May 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 5
I voted the K701s. I was very impressed with the Caliente and when I plugged in my K701s I quickly realized the wonderful synergy between the two. Sadly, I have not been using my Caliente nor listening to my K701s (too many amps and 'phones
tongue.gif
) but I wholeheartedly endorse this combo!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back