K701 thread
Jul 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #46 of 2,619
nearly got enough money to buy these. am undecided whether i should buy the dac/amp first or these, and why i actually look at that question i just realise how stupid i am. what's the point of amp without good headphones. should order sometime this week (hopefully) so should come in about 2 ish weeks. cant wait, in just before the start of summer.. YAY

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #47 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For classical these headphones are imo unmatched! Are there any more K701's users here that drive it with a LD MKIVse? If I plug it in my receiver or zero dac/amp, I get that cold/boring sound and actually prefer the K601 to it, but if I plug it in my MKIVse, the K701 is miles ahead. Wonderfull!

Yup, got a 7510 mk6 --> mkivse --> k701 setup, and its wonderful. Have tried playing them straight from the 7510's amp, but that sounds really boring in comparison. Would like to try them with an even better amp though, I don't think I've pushed them to their limit yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #49 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_greb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah? How much did you pay for them? Another guy on here said his left side went out on him, and like a couple of hours after I read that, mine started to do the same thing. I couldn't believe it. If they're three years old and still work fine then I'm sure you'll be okay. I think Hans in the QC department must've been napping or something when mine went through the line. Or maybe I am just too abusive to my phone's. My SR-80's also cut in and out. I tend to get the cord snagged on like every possible thing imaginable.

$192

I got them today, and they work perfectly.

They also don't seem cheaply built at all. I like that they came with a stand/holder too.

These (K701), my HD-580s, and my HD-25 Concorde will probably be the only headphones I keep. At least, that's the theory... The 580s are excellent, and really comfortable like the k701s. I think I may slightly prefer the K701 for music, but the 580s are great for movies - I can't even tell they are on my head.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #50 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$192

I got them today, and they work perfectly.

They also don't seem cheaply built at all. I like that they came with a stand/holder too.

These (K701), my HD-580s, and my HD-25 Concorde will probably be the only headphones I keep. At least, that's the theory... The 580s are excellent, and really comfortable like the k701s. I think I may slightly prefer the K701 for music, but the 580s are great for movies - I can't even tell they are on my head.

Whow, great buy. Enjoy.

Sounds like you have your setup set. Now you can spend the money you were going to spend on headpohones on music amnd movies - good for you.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #51 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_greb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is supposed to be an appreciation thread and I love how they sound. But for a $450 headphone they seem to be constructed rather cheaply. One of little clear plastic bits on on the band cracked in half. And know my left channel keeps cutting out on me. I've only had the things for a little more than 6 months and I've been very careful with them. I'm not sure how I should go about fixing it. Has anyone ever dealt with the AKG service centers?

They feel and look like quality to me. They feel very sturdy to me, however I have mine recabled, which may/not make the difference. Mine are also dual entry, not single entry like the stock K701's.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #52 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nearly got enough money to buy these. am undecided whether i should buy the dac/amp first or these, and why i actually look at that question i just realise how stupid i am. what's the point of amp without good headphones. should order sometime this week (hopefully) so should come in about 2 ish weeks. cant wait, in just before the start of summer.. YAY

What's your source? This is what makes or breaks headphones and amps. If you have a crappy source, and getting the K701's is only going to make them sound worse.

Get high quality MP3's or CD's, and then give the K701's a go. They demand excellent sources, and once you have one, you will once again be rewarded by how well the K701's sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #53 of 2,619
Yeah, exactly my thoughts currently. The K701 just present what you put in, there seems to be very little coloration going on.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #54 of 2,619
Quote:

Yeah, exactly my thoughts currently. The K701 just present what you put in, there seems to be very little coloration going on.

While most people don't look at it this way, it's the truth.

If you have average source + decent amp + K701's, you are not getting the best available sound.

Now if you have a good source + above average amp + K701's, you're going to get a higher quality sound, because the K701's REALLY synergize with great recorded/pressed music.

I have the second tier, because this is my second go around with the K701's, and before I had a decent source, but a nice amp, and I didn't like it. Now, I like it with a great source and average amp.

good amp > amping average quality music vs. above average amp > amping high resolution music.. you see where I'm going with this.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 2,619
Wow nice recabling job, thats pretty expensive right? But where do you plug it in? Because a corda headfive doesn't have those inputs. Also I noticed my k701 has 'angled earpads'. I have no idea what their right orientation is, I have the thicker side now under, so it kinda takes on the shape of my head.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #57 of 2,619
Quote:

Wow nice recabling job, thats pretty expensive right? But where do you plug it in? Because a corda headfive doesn't have those inputs. Also I noticed my k701 has 'angled earpads'. I have no idea what their right orientation is, I have the thicker side now under, so it kinda takes on the shape of my head.

Cable job was expensive. Around $300 for the whole thing. I also have a 2 XLR > 1/4" adapter so I can run it with single ended amps. I'm saving up for a HR balanced amp.

HeadRoom Balanced Desktop Amp @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

-Nick

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #58 of 2,619
Ah I see, than it is very smart of you to go balanced, and have that adapter for now. I did't know this was possible. Have you already heard the K701 balanced out of the headroom amp? Should sound amazing!

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #59 of 2,619
Quote:

Ah I see, than it is very smart of you to go balanced, and have that adapter for now. I did't know this was possible. Have you already heard the K701 balanced out of the headroom amp? Should sound amazing!

I've owned the K701 before in a better system, stock, and it was a love/hate relationship.

This time I went with an APS recable. I won't be able to post impressions for a while because I'm awaiting the arrival of the adapter. So I can use it on my single ended Meier.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #60 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source? This is what makes or breaks headphones and amps. If you have a crappy source, and getting the K701's is only going to make them sound worse.

Get high quality MP3's or CD's, and then give the K701's a go. They demand excellent sources, and once you have one, you will once again be rewarded by how well the K701's sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use flac only (cept for old CDs that i sold and have them in mp3.. but only few). but the problem is thats its straight from my computer with a crappy sound card. and as these are my first true high end headphone, no point buying the dac/amp now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back