K701 or HD-650 + Amp?
Oct 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

FloydCouncil

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at various headphones and amps to go along with them for a little over a week now. I listen to mainly classic and modern rock, but am not really looking into Grados. I don't like the upfront sound, for some odd reason.

I currently own a HD595, which is powered directly through my Macbook.

As you can probably guess from the title of the thread, I am looking to upgrade my setup. I love my HD595, but have read the HD-650 have a slightly different sound signature then these and are not really great for Rock. But then again, I have some read threads where somebody powered their 650 through a Gilmore Lite and listened to Rock music primarily.

I've also been looking into the AKG 701 but I get even more confused there. I have no idea what amp to buy and tube amps confuse the hell outta me. I've never owned a tube amp and am more comfortable with solid-state amps as they don't need any maintenance.

Furthermore, I have no idea if I should go for an amplifier with has an integrated DAC or just get a kick-ass amplifier right now and later on get a stand-alone DAC.

What would you folks suggest? I don't have a set budget, but Amazon UK lists HD-650 and AKG 701 at about £200. So I'm willing to spend another £200 for the amplifier.

Suggestions/opinions please! I'm very confused!

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 41
Floyd,
I've been through a similar process lately. They are both great phones but they are different and will have different amp requirements apparently...some say the K701 are harder to drive well. I'll leave that for others to explain better than I can.

I think you will be happy with either and are lucky that you can choose your amp to match.

I ended up getting the HD650's (cosd I got a good deal mainly) and run them from my Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 amp and have tried them straight of the computer without problems (not as nice and clean as the amp but no underpower dramas). I'm getting a yamamoto HA02 amp soon and plan to add some K701's to the kit. Watch out this stuff is very addictive.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 41
I don't think the K-701 is much of a rock phone. I mostly use it for jazz, classical and acoustic roots music. While not as fun as a Grado, the HD-650 can rock.

Some solid state amps you might enjoy with it are the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (DIY version), the Eddie Current EC/SS, the PreSonus Central Station (also has a nice DAC!), and some DIY offerings like the Beta22, M^3 and CKK2III.

So you know, tube amp maintenance is almost zero. Tube life depends on a number of factors, but it isn't hard to get 4-5 years from a set. Changing them isn't more difficult than changing a light bulb. That's about it. Also, many tubes are still in production, so replacements are cheap and plentiful.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the K-701 is much of a rock phone. I mostly use it for jazz, classical and acoustic roots music. While not as fun as a Grado, the HD-650 can rock.

Some solid state amps you might enjoy with it are the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (DIY version), the Eddie Current EC/SS, the PreSonus Central Station (also has a nice DAC!), and some DIY offerings like the Beta22, M^3 and CKK2III.

So you know, tube amp maintenance is almost zero. Tube life depends on a number of factors, but it isn't hard to get 4-5 years from a set. Changing them isn't more difficult than changing a light bulb. That's about it. Also, many tubes are still in production, so replacements are cheap and plentiful.

Listen to Uncle Erik, his words are very wise. I owned both the 701s and the 650s, I sold the 701s because of listening fatigue. I now have the Grado 325i and the 650, I spend most of my time with the 650.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 41
Yeah, I've been reading threads upon threads, I think I'll get the HD650 and a Gilmore Lite and after a few months, add a decent DAC.

One problem, I am in the UK and am a student living in university provided room, will importing the Gilmore Lite cause problems? Will I have to pay import duty? If so, where?

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 41
I've owned both. I vote for HD650 because:

1. Better for symphony orchestra and classical music (but this depends on personal taste)
2. More comfortable to wear
3. Ability to change cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back