k701 or DT880
Apr 27, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 28
Why not get the K701s and compare the two and decide for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Whichever loses goes to the for sale forums.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I chose the HD650's over the K701 and DT880's. Cant say much for K701,because it needs a really good amp to do anything. I had to search around for an amp to make it sound decent. But I didnt get a chance to test it out properly.

Between the 880 and 650 I would any day pick the 650 simply because it has such a beautiful warmth and fullness to the sound. That doesnt make its impact any slow either. Has terrific bass extension and definition. Doesnt need a very high end amp to sound good, although it will sound even better with one.

I dont have to tell you how the 880's sound, you have them. But IMP the 880 one the other hand has better treble definition. Female vocals sounded great on the 880's, and 650 didnt quite hit that sweet spot for female vox.

But male vox sound awesome on the 650 and the kick drums and percussions sound way better.

In the end you really need to listen to either with your current setup to compare. If you are planning on getting an amp as well you can look at the tube options.

I agree, HD650 are much better all arounders and have bigger impact than DT880. Properly driven and recabled they are fast enough and have excellent details resolution.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, HD650 are much better all arounders and have bigger impact than DT880. Properly driven and recabled they are fast enough and have excellent details resolution.

I really haven't spent enough time with the HD650s to properly compare them to my DT880s but I was indeed very impressed when I did listened to Eric Clapton's Blues through the HD650s some time back.

I will say this though. The HD650s are like putting your head into a vice grip. At least they won't fall off. In a balance of SQ and comfort, you have to give the edge to the DT880s. (Now that I'm truly familiar with my DT880s, I do plan however to try the HD650s again. But they're very expensive in Canada and I can't help wondering if the money isn't better spent on some open Darths.)

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 28
from the other thread:

I owned both for a very long time. I currently have 701s (i traded the DT880s for them straight up.) In my opinion, the k70s do everything better than the dt880s. More bass, better sound stage, less bright, still just as, if not more, detailed.

That being said, my only source/amp has been an ipod>bithead. Plus, the person i traded with is VERY happy with the dt880s as well. (thislittlepiggy, actually)

Both are good all around. I think dt880s work better for classical (they sound a bit more natural and less metallic.) Neither are great rock cans, everytime I listen to rock guitar I miss my Grado Sr80. I will certainly get a 225 or something someday to complement. Most of my listening isnt heavy rock, so I am fine for now.

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say this though. The HD650s are like putting your head into a vice grip.

Yep, they are not as comfortable as DT880 but if you rotate pads so they put main load not on the temples but on the area behind ears it's much more bearable.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #23 of 28
hmmm....how does the hd650 do with rock? i've heard that it does classical really well, but how about for other genres. I really liked the clarity out of the dt880's even though they were just out of an ipod. anyways, I could just get a grado for rock later. I'm thinking that the k701 would be a good choice because of the wide soundstage and it being less bright than the dt880's. (I'll be getting a tube amp if I get the k701) and could someone explain more why the k701 sounds metallic with classical?

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and could someone explain more why the k701 sounds metallic with classical?

Honestly, besides me saying it, I have not heard anyone else make that comment. I just know what to my ears, I often feel that symphonic work sounds metallic in a way. Something I never felt with DT880s. Its possible they just do better with brass sections, which is why I hear the metal more. Or maybe Im just crazy. Or maybe its the recordings. (mostly naxos stuff from emusic.com)

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 28
I still feel that a comparison is required between the 600 ohm leathered DT880s and the HD650s, especially if the complaint with the DT880s is lack of oomph in the bass. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to make it. My listening to the HD650s standing up at the audio store with their CD changer and integrated amp doesn't qualify as a foundation for comparative analysis.

I guess manufacture DT880s might be more expensive than the HD650s in the States. But it's actually a fair bit less expensive than buying the HD650s in Canada.

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, if the problem is with the oomph in bass, couldnt you just get leather earpads?

Exactly my point! My DT880s don't lack for bass with the leather pads. But I definitely respect the HD650s as another headphone with a big soundstage so I'd love it if someone could make a comparison. If I could get a pair to hook up to my home kit, I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back