K701, K601, A900LTD, or other?
Jan 15, 2006 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JiggaD369

500+ Head-Fier
Which one? Soooo confused! Have $300 in hand to burn and these will be my first "hifi" phones. I listen to mostly Classical Rock, Eletronica, mostly downtempo but they have to be decent for the fast stuff also. PLease help! Thanx.

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 23
Honestly? I'd buy the A900 Ltd simply because it's both a very capable all-arounder and because it's about to be out of reach for anyone who doesn't want to pay after-market premium on a limited edition, allowing you to change your mind for a profit later.

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
As I understand it, the A900 is a mid-fi can, so the LTD version is just a refinement on that. I would get the K701 or HD-650.

I don't know about that. Calling it a mid-fi can on basis of price alone is pretty silly; the HD580 is under $140 now. It compares favorably on many recordings with my HD650 and my dormmate's SR-325i, both of which are considered high-fi. Where do you get the impression that it's less-than-adequate? Have you used it?

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Honestly? I'd buy the A900 Ltd simply because it's both a very capable all-arounder and because it's about to be out of reach for anyone who doesn't want to pay after-market premium on a limited edition, allowing you to change your mind for a profit later.

Why would people who don't want to pay extra for a limited edition today suddenly pay a premium tomorrow and allow you a profit?

Jan 15, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Why would people who don't want to pay extra for a limited edition today suddenly pay a premium tomorrow and allow you a profit?

Search me, but it happens all the time. Look at the price for discontinued LEs.

I imagine it stems mostly from people learning about them too late to buy them new as much as people deciding too late they wanted to try one, after all.

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 23
At the price right now for the K701's, like from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, B&H, Earhonesolutions, and HeadRoom, I would probably go with those. I haven't heard it yet though so I won't comment on the sound from it.

I would just read up reviews on this phone because you have some times before the introductory price for it disappears... forever.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 23
IF making profits is concerned, wouldn't buying the K701 yeild alot of it since shipment doesn't come in until mid Feb and since it's a intro. price? wont people want it more since it wont be "available"?

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
IF making profits is concerned, wouldn't buying the K701 yeild alot of it since shipment doesn't come in until mid Feb and since it's a intro. price? wont people want it more since it wont be "available"?

He never said he wanted to make a profit. I was suggesting an option somewhat flippantly that would allow him to do so if he changed his mind about wanting the A900 Ltd.

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I don't know about that. Calling it a mid-fi can on basis of price alone is pretty silly; the HD580 is under $140 now. It compares favorably on many recordings with my HD650 and my dormmate's SR-325i, both of which are considered high-fi. Where do you get the impression that it's less-than-adequate? Have you used it?

I'm not calling it mid-fi because of the price. $300 is not cheap IMO. The Audio Technica product line up seems to be: W at the very top followed by the AD series.

So, "hi-fi" would be the AT-W5000 followed by the AT-AD2000.

The A series is below those, so I don't consider it "hi-fi" simply because it's not at the top of their product line up.

I'm considering getting the A900LTD myself, except that for the same price ($300) I could get the HD-650. Right now, I'm leaning towards the HD-650 because it's the best Sennheiser available, whereas the best Audio Technica costs nearly $800 (excluding the L3k since its limited edition and out of production).

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 23
I think it depends on what you are looking for. They are all great cans -- I am assuming the new AKG's are great, although I have not yet heard them. I have the HD605's with Equinox cable and the 900LTD. I like them both, but they are very different. If I were to select just one for overall musical enjoyment, I would pick the HD650, as I believe it bests the 900LTD in most categories other then treble extension and front to back sound stage (not side to side). I also slightly prefer the Sennheiser house sound to the Audio-Technica house sound. That being said, I greatly enjoy the A900LTDs and will probably end up using them more than my HD650s. Why? (1) They are closed, so I can listen anywhere in the house, including right next to my wife and never disturb anyone (the HD650 is very open and can be heard even at low volumes). The closed nature of the A900LTD also provides some isolation for me from other sounds inside our house. (2) They have a mini-connector, which means I can use them with my portable amp (or even straight out of my iPod) without using an adapter. This might seem like a small issue, but I don't like the added stress that apapters place on the headphone jack. (3) I find that although they are about equal to me in terms of comfort, the AT900LTDs are much less sensitive to placement position over the ears, so they are easier to take off and put back on.

That being said, when the house is quiet and I can sit down and listen to my home rig for an hour or two, I will reach for the HD650s just about everytime. I know you are not considering the HD650s, but I would imagine that similar factors would come into play when deciding between the K701 and the A900LTD.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 23
Last time I heard, the A900 was very squarely in the middle the mid-fi camp, and not even on the high end of mid-fi. Lacks a bit of extension on both ends, lacks midrange and bass detail, somewhat loose bass, etc...it is a good all-rounder, but taken each component it isn't quite high-end, and unless the LTD is a huge improvement over the original, I wouldn't consider it high-end either. In terms of technical capability, it's on par with the HD580 and not the HD650.

Also, in terms of "limited edition" headphones, history here at head-fi has shown that headphones almost never rise in value. In fact, it is only a select group of headphones, usually high performers or excellent values (such as the HP-1000, HE60/90, R10, W2002, DT531) that manage to maintain or increase their value. Audio-Technica in particular pretty much releases one limited edition every year, and I haven't seen a single one of their A-series "limited edition" headphones, such as the A100Ti or the A1000, rise in value after discontinuation. I doubt the LTD will be any different.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Last time I heard, the A900 was very squarely in the middle the mid-fi camp, and not even on the high end of mid-fi. Lacks a bit of extension on both ends, lacks midrange and bass detail, somewhat loose bass, etc...it is a good all-rounder, but taken each component it isn't quite high-end, and unless the LTD is a huge improvement over the original, I wouldn't consider it high-end either. In terms of technical capability, it's on par with the HD580 and not the HD650.

A few points of note:

1. I wonder if you've actually heard the A900. I own them, and I listen to them regularly, and I would not use the term "loose bass" to describe them, although "high bass presence" would fit adequately. They're not for the bass-shy, but they're not overpowering nor are they remotely flabby. It also extends very, very high and admirably low, though there is roll-off under 30hz. I'm not a fanboy, just a fan, but I find it rather arbitrary to call it mid-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
. You're welcome to the opinion if it persists, though, but I ask that if you ever get the opportunity to try it, do so and see if that changes your opinion. If you've already listened, obviously, that's moot.

2. Have you compared the HD650 and HD580 side-by-side? The differences are more in EQ than in sound quality. Pricier doesn't mean better, in this case, just different. I've owned both; I kept the HD650 because I like its bass better, but the HD580 remind you with every listen that they're the formerly #1, formerly expensive grandfather of the HD650 and that the HD650 hasn't changed much at all.

Jan 15, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

A few points of note:

1. I wonder if you've actually heard the A900. I own them, and I listen to them regularly, and I would not use the term "loose bass" to describe them, although "high bass presence" would fit adequately. They're not for the bass-shy, but they're not overpowering nor are they remotely flabby. It also extends very, very high and admirably low, though there is roll-off under 30hz. I'm not a fanboy, just a fan, but I find it rather arbitrary to call it mid-fi . You're welcome to the opinion if it persists, though, but I ask that if you ever get the opportunity to try it, do so and see if that changes your opinion. If you've already listened, obviously, that's moot.

2. Have you compared the HD650 and HD580 side-by-side? The differences are more in EQ than in sound quality. Pricier doesn't mean better, in this case, just different. I've owned both; I kept the HD650 because I like its bass better, but the HD580 remind you with every listen that they're the formerly #1, formerly expensive grandfather of the HD650 and that the HD650 hasn't changed much at all.

1. Yes, I've listened to the A900.
2. Yes, I've extensively A/B'd the HD650 and HD580 side-by-side.

Any questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back