K701 and DT880
Apr 11, 2006 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Filburt

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I've read pretty much every thread I possibly can on this, and I simply cannot find a clear explanation of what the differences between these two are. It's very likely I'm going to get one of these (and not both...I simply cannot afford that), and I really need some guidance here. I listened to a pair of 880s at the San Jose head-fi meet, and liked them a lot...better than other cans there other than the K1000 and HE90 (and I listened to pretty much every can at the meet). I have no idea what the K701 sounds like, but it seems that people who like the DT880 prefer the K701, so I'm wondering what this thing sounds like, as well as what sort of amp would work with it. Again, I'm on a limited budget, but I can do DIY stuff, provided the part sourcing isn't too intense (so I could do something like a PPA or M3, for instance). I know how the 880 would be like with my PINT, but how would the K701 fare?

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
(and not both...I simply cannot afford that)

Not suggesting you intentionally buy a headphone only to return it but if you are really confused you can buy from a number of reputable headphone companies (listed on this site, e.g., http://www.headphone.com) and they have a 30-day no questions asked return policy.

Quote:

but it seems that people who like the DT880 prefer the K701

I do not know this is the case. Like most say on head-fi, you have to live with your ears and not everyone else's so if the 880s are great for you then buy them and enjoy.

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 77
Well, if the K701s are more pleasant, I'd like to go with those instead. The 880s seem to have some weakness with prog metal when I tried that, but it has been a while since I last heard them.

I'm just hoping I can get some sort of approximation of what the differences are since the 20 or so threads I read haven't exactly made it very clear to me. I've seen a lot of statements that it's between the 650 and the 880, but I haven't heard the 650 as much as the 880, so it's hard for me to judge what that would mean. I'm just wondering about a direct comparison between the two rather than references to a can I am not familiar enough to draw projection from.

Based on the comments I've seen, it sounds like people are claiming the K701 has less treble but more bass, punch, and maybe more mids? It really isn't clear to me.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 77
Congratulations on your good taste. These are my two faves, as well.

DT880:
- Has a somewhat "dry" sound, with fine bass and good detail
- Looks are great, and I'm a big fan of the new "rounded" aluminum headphone plates
- Works with just about any amplifier as a result of its restrained character
- Has something of a distance from the audience, as if they were ten or fifteen feet away - a nice effect that works well with anything from punk to classical
- A tad "monochromatic"; instrumental color doesn't come through as well as it might
- Quite comfortable, thanks to the velour earpiece, but can get a little too warm in longer listening sessions
- No discernable break-in period; they're good to go

K701:
- Good instrumental color, with a fine, streamlined bass
- Somewhat more detail, especially in the mid-highs
- Also quite comfortable, but the larger earpads keep your head from getting too hot
- A reduced feeling of expansiveness; the instruments are closer, but still pretty distinct
- An extremely long break-in period of 300 hours, and maybe more before it sounds at its best
- A very full sound, with a strong bass integrated into the songs
- Some sibilance on some tracks (depending on your EQ)

I guess it depends on which style you prefer. In blind samplings, friends have preferred the K701, but liked both headphones. The added detail was the deciding factor. The K701 is a great all-around headphone.

Visit my blog below for more info.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 77
Quote:

Well, if the K701s are more pleasant, I'd like to go with those instead. The 880s seem to have some weakness with prog metal when I tried that, but it has been a while since I last heard them.

I'm just hoping I can get some sort of approximation of what the differences are since the 20 or so threads I read haven't exactly made it very clear to me. I've seen a lot of statements that it's between the 650 and the 880, but I haven't heard the 650 as much as the 880, so it's hard for me to judge what that would mean. I'm just wondering about a direct comparison between the two rather than references to a can I am not familiar enough to draw projection from.

Based on the comments I've seen, it sounds like people are claiming the K701 has less treble but more bass, punch, and maybe more mids? It really isn't clear to me.

Two things may relate to your post: the DT880s are known for having a LOT of treble, which many find harsh, and the K701s are known for having high treble (which I can attest to), but it mellows as break-in, and most describe it as less harsh than the DT880s, though I have not heard those myself. Another thing is, most people would say neither of them are rock cans. Most people would recommend Grado to you for that. For most rock, I really enjoy my K701s, but few agree with me, so I honestly think the 30 day return policy may be in your favor here.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 77
Your blog was quite helpful, thanks! Also, these comments are basically exactly what I was looking for, spinali! Sounds like the K701 is a good way to go for me, then. I loved the 880s, but a fuller sound would work well with some of the material I have. The 701s still have a fairly wide soundstage, though, right? I do like things to feel open and airy.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Two things may relate to your post: the DT880s are known for having a LOT of treble, which many find harsh, and the K701s are known for having high treble (which I can attest to), but it mellows as break-in, and most describe it as less harsh than the DT880s, though I have not heard those myself. Another thing is, most people would say neither of them are rock cans. Most people would recommend Grado to you for that. For most rock, I really enjoy my K701s, but few agree with me, so I honestly think the 30 day return policy may be in your favor here.

Grados are a bit much for me on rock, overall. They can sound nice on some things, but I found I preferred the sound of the 880s on the rock stuff I compared between them. It sounds like the K701s may pull in a fuller sound to take care of some of the weaknesses I felt the 880s had with this material, though. I like strong treble in my cans, which is probably why I liked the 880s, but I could do with some loss of it for a greater bit of fullness overall.

Also from what I gathered in the threads, the Corda Aria is ideal as an amp for it? Will the K701 work okay with my PINT?

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 77
So, the DT880s have a wider/larger soundstage than the K701s? Which one has better instrument separation?

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

So, the DT880s have a wider/larger soundstage than the K701s? Which one has better instrument separation?

Instrument separation gives a slight edge to the K701, because there's more crispness and clarity, which makes more separation possible.

I wouldn't describe it as a wider or larger soundspace, only a different one. The DT880 gives the illusion of a wider soundspace because of some empty space between you and the performer in a concert hall. The K701 puts you a lot closer, but now you can hear the details of the instruments somewhat more clearly.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 77
I hear mostly rock and I am just breaking in my pair but I noted and read the next day here a confirming statement. These 701's do drums absolutely excellently and I noted acoustic guitar was gorgeous, the other headphone I had also noted great with guitar was grado but these 701's did just as good if not better.

It has good punch for prog rock for sure.
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
It has good punch for prog rock for sure.
icon10.gif

Yay!

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 77
Okay, looks like K701 is the way to go, then. Hopefully I'll be able to get a pair within the next couple of months or so. It should be easier when I have some income during the summer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 77
The K701s sounded so mellow to me. Very nice characteristic to have. The mids were better than my 880s as well. Neither can would be my rock can but both are good for classical and jazz. Edge to AKG though. They are a must hear IMO.

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
The K701s sounded so mellow to me. Very nice characteristic to have. The mids were better than my 880s as well. Neither can would be my rock can but both are good for classical and jazz. Edge to AKG though. They are a must hear IMO.

Cool. I'm a big fan of jazz and classical, though I do listen to rock as well. Since I have a big collection of sources (PCDPs), I'm able to tune the sound for different genres that way, as opposed through cans, so I have something that will work for rock.

The other thing is, all I've got right now are some earbuds and those are so low-fi compared to any of these things that it's rather likely I'll achieve improvement on everything over what I currently have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back