K550 vs DT1350 VS DT880
Sep 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pearljam50000

1000+ Head-Fier
Please help me decide!
All of the above fit in my budget,I have read alot of reviews about them,but still can't decide which one is the best.
Looking for the highest SQ possible,detailed and neutral sounding.
Thanks!

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

If you've read the reviews and then want the most "neutral" sounding, then I'm afraid you must have read some very flacid and poor reviews, or maybe you didn't think about this before you posted. Not to be rude, but the DT990 is a bassy headphone. Far from neutral.

Also, it matters what you're plugging these into. You need to tell us that. It makes a difference if you can even drive the headphones you're talking about.

Also it matters whether you want isolation (closed back) or if you're ok with open air (open back).

Maybe give a total budget, because there's a lot more options than this.

Without knowing anything, here's some more suggestions:

Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900X
AKG K702/Q701

AKG K550
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AudioTechnica A900X
SoungMAGIC HP100

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi thanks,the only reason i included the DT990 is that some claim it's better than the DT880,so it got me confused.
So,i edited the thread...and i'm left with The AKG K550,Beyer DT880 or DT1350.
Which one of the these three is the best?i have a low budget so i don't have many options.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
  Hi thanks,the only reason i included the DT990 is that some claim it's better than the DT880,so it got me confused.
So,i edited the thread...and i'm left with The AKG K550,Beyer DT880 or DT1350.
Which one of the these three is the best?i have a low budget so i don't have many options.

You're still comparing a pear, to an orange, to an apple.
You've still provided no budget to help guide this.

So I'll make it simple if these are the only three in existence that you can consider:

K550 - Closed back, over ear.
DT880 - Open back, over ear.
DT1350 - Closed back, on ear.

Those simple difference are easily the fastest way to decide what headphone would work for you, again, assuming these three are the only three on the planet that you can possibly get.

Good luck with your choice.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks.
I understand what you are saying that they are of different types.
But i'm looking for the highest SQ possible,as close to the Sennheiser HD800 sound as possible.
Since i can't audition any of them it's impossible to me to decide which are most detailed and neutral.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 8
The closest in character to the HD800 would be the K550.  They have a similar neutrality, and are surprisingly airy for closed back 'phone.  They have a tad more impact than an unamped HD800, but like the HD800 do not have a prominent bass.

The DT1350 are not as neutral, but fun, so definitely audition them, as are the DT880, but I find the musical interpretation of the k550 is also the closest tot he HD800.

Lots of people seems to find the HD800 sterile, but if you find them neutrality revealing and them musically revealing, then the K550 would be a great choice.  Personally I find the overly coloured 'phones crush the musical message.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 8
  Thanks.
I understand what you are saying that they are of different types.
But i'm looking for the highest SQ possible,as close to the Sennheiser HD800 sound as possible.
Since i can't audition any of them it's impossible to me to decide which are most detailed and neutral.

We need to know what source(s) your going to be plugging the headphones into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back