k1000 w/ sub ???
Jul 16, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 45
alexdemaet, I got to thinking about this, and I'm not qualified to tell you that Option 2 is a bad way to go. I have never tried this option, so you best get direction from the vendors (ACI and RWA) as far as hook-up.

I know that Vinnie (RWA) and Louis (Omega) seem to prefer running the Omega sub directy from speaker outputs. But again, make sure that the ACI can be driven by a balanced amp before trying this, or you may damage the Sig 30.x.

BTW: Mike from ACI is very helpful if you drop him an e-mail or post a question in the ACI Circle on AudioCircle.

Good luck. Kent

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #17 of 45
Thank you very much for the valuable advice!
The subwoofer and the dac arrived today, but unfortunately the ordered Aci Subsonic RCA interconnnects (6 meter) were not included in the package
frown.gif

So I can't test the sub yet.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for the valuable advice!
The subwoofer and the dac arrived today, but unfortunately the ordered Aci Subsonic RCA interconnnects (6 meter) were not included in the package
frown.gif

So I can't test the sub yet.

If you have a spar set of ICs laying around, any IC could be used in a pinch to begin the breakin process -- and give you a taste of what's to come. (like steal one from your DVD or VCR ???)

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACI supplies good written instructions and a CD designed to help with with set-up and integration. Make sure you have these and you should be able to get favorable results.

There are also computer based programs and microphones that can be used if you want a more scientific approach. For me, I am not willing to spend the cash for this sort of thing, so I do my settings by ear.

I have ordered a used subwoofer (on the special deals ACI website), do you believe it will still have to be "configured"? I really don't have any idea how to do the setup of a sub
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

If you have a spar set of ICs laying around, any IC could be used in a pinch to begin the breakin process -- and give you a taste of what's to come. (like steal one from your DVD or VCR ???)

I will need an IC of at least 5 meters, which I don't have
frown.gif
It ain't easy to move a heavy sub (+/- 40 kg) ...

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

...I am interested in trying speaker level inputs, but have not taken time to check with ACI to see if their subs support balanced speaker inputs. [CAUTION: RWA has balanced outputs. For the 30.2 you can only connect speaker level inputs to subs that support balanced amps (i.e. they do not share a common ground)....

I haven't yet received a reply from Aci if their subs support support balanced speaker inputs, but I am expecting a reply in a couple of days.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 45
Check with Mike at ACI and get a copy of the user manual (he can probably send a PDF via e-mail). You will also want their setup CD.

Getting natural sounding integration between sub and speakers (or K1000s) takes time and experimentation. Mike's materials provide instructions and shortcuts to speed the process and help you acheive better results.

You may want to consider creating a thread under the ACI Circle on AudioCircle, asking other ACI owners to help you with settings and sub placement. Even small changes in placement and setting can yield big benefits in terms of sound quality. Kent

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 45
I will start a "K1000 w/ sub" asap at AudioCircle
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember there was one feature missing on the special deal Titan XL I bought from Aci: "SD202: 1ea Titan XL Powered Sub (Piano Black)
Description: THE Titan XL at the price of a Force XL. This unit was used by Mike D. for testing, etc. The amplifier does not have the power on bulb. In excellent shape overall.
SOLD"
Would this mean that I can't setup the subwoofer anymore (I remember that this could mean that you wouldn't be able to do some reading on a "power" meter).

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #24 of 45
Jul 16, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

I will start a "K1000 w/ sub" asap at AudioCircle
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember there was one feature missing on the special deal Titan XL I bought from Aci: "SD202: 1ea Titan XL Powered Sub (Piano Black)
Description: THE Titan XL at the price of a Force XL. This unit was used by Mike D. for testing, etc. The amplifier does not have the power on bulb. In excellent shape overall.
SOLD"
Would this mean that I can't setup the subwoofer anymore (I remember that this could mean that you wouldn't be able to do some reading on a "power" meter).

Not 100% sure, but it sounds like the power on indicator (light bulb) does not work. There is a mechanical switch so you will know if the unit is on or off. I leave my sub on all the time, so unless Mike tells you otherwise, turn it on and forget about it.

The light should have nothing to do with meters or settings, it should be strictly cosmetic.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

I received a reply from Mike: "The input jacks on our sub amps share a common ground, so you definitely do NOT want to use the Speaker Level converters w/the Redwine amp. Stay with line-level and all will be good
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike Dzurko
President, ACI
website: Audio Concepts, Inc.* The Ultimate in Home Audio Speakers at Consumer Direct Prices!
Official Support Forum: www.audiocircle.com"

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I too bought a sub IC from ACI which I run from the variable sub outputs on the back of the 30.2. Sounds like you will need to do the same.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Not 100% sure, but it sounds like the power on indicator (light bulb) does not work. There is a mechanical switch so you will know if the unit is on or off. I leave my sub on all the time, so unless Mike tells you otherwise, turn it on and forget about it.

The light should have nothing to do with meters or settings, it should be strictly cosmetic.

I plugged the power plug in, turned the power button on, and I noticed a green light. I guess the fact that the sub's amp does not have the power on bulb, is something nothing to worry about.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

I plugged the power plug in, turned the power button on, and I noticed a green light. I guess the fact that the sub's amp does not have the power on bulb, is something nothing to worry about.

All I see on my Force XL is a green light. So it sounds like all is good. Kent

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #29 of 45
Would it make any difference (enhance) if I add a preamp in the K1000 rig?
Could you give me some examples/suggestions of Signature 30.2 preamps?
Maybe the power Signature 30.2 (power amp without volume know) would fit in here perfectly?
I know headphone amps don't need a preamp and anything with a volume know shouldn't be used as a preamp (it would only lead to degradation of the sound).

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Would it make any difference (enhance) if I add a preamp in the K1000 rig?
Could you give me some examples/suggestions of Signature 30.2 preamps?
Maybe the power Signature 30.2 (power amp without volume know) would fit in here perfectly?
I know headphone amps don't need a preamp and anything with a volume know shouldn't be used as a preamp (it would only lead to degradation of the sound).

You may want to ask this question on the RWA Circle at AudioCircle. Also if you go there you will find a thread about which preamp people use with their 30.2.

My Wadia CDP has low impediance outsputs and high gain, so I do not use a preamp. But I have never done a comparison to see what difference a pre would make.

Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back