K1000 + Solid State = A No-No???
Apr 25, 2003 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I've been considering buying a second-hand pair of AKG K1000's, but all I have to drive them is a NAD integrated, with 20W per channel.

All of the low-budget tube amplifiers are not available in Australia, so there goes that plan.

So what I am trying to say is - would I be silly to try and use solid-state amplification with the K1000? Everyone seems to be using valve amplifiers.
confused.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 55
For a cheap and good tube amp, you can try nOrh SE9.
A lot of people report good thing with the K1000/SE9 combo.
I had some experience with K1000 with Marantz SS amps. It's quite good. You can give your NAD a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 55
I used it and liked it with an Adcom GFA-535. Something like the old NAD 3020 would probably be great with the K-1000.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 55
Woohoo!
biggrin.gif

Any comments on the Luxman amplifier that I linked above?

I'll place a WTB in the For Sale Forum.

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 55
When I first bought my K-1000s I used them with a NAD L-40. They sounded pretty good , although going to a Marantz 2220B was a decent step up in improving the sound of the phones in terms of detail and overall control.

If you ever can swing it, I recommend the nOrh SE-9. Great combination with the K-1000s. In the meantime, though, you should get along decently with the NAD.

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 55
I also used mine with an Adcom 535 (60 WPC) for a couple of weeks. I liked it, but thought that it was a tiny bit on the bright side. I've heard such good things about the nOth SE9 that I decided to take the plunge, and will report back once I have it.

Apr 25, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
So what I am trying to say is - would I be silly to try and use solid-state amplification with the K1000? Everyone seems to be using valve amplifiers.
confused.gif

Not at all... there are many solid state amps that produce great results with the k-1000's. Your NAD is probably just the ticket and you probably won't need to get anything else. The NAD amps that I've owned and heard have always been warm and dark sounding, so coupled with the k-1000's, should sound pretty decent. But if you try and you do get a hint of brightness even with your NAD, the Stefan cable should tame that.

But be sure you go into it with an open mind... I say this because on any system, if you go in with a pre-conceived notion that there is going to be brightness, it's pretty easy to hear brightness. Also, the cold steel mesh on the k-1000's even feel bright!

Tubes seem to be the rage these days, but there are as good and better SS amps out there for less money. Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer a mixture of SS and tubes for my systems, but tubes are not always the answer. Also, good replacement tubes (depending on the type) can cost $$$- as much as some solid state amps!

If you decide you really want to go with something with tubes, I agree with the others here- the Norh amp can't be beat at the price they want for it. I had one and really liked it with the K-1000's, but got rid of it because I couldn't justify all the gear I had.

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
I couldn't justify all the gear I had.

Neither can I, but for some reason it never seems to stop me.
biggrin.gif

I do agree that at it's price point (and even higher, IMO), the nOrh can't be beat. Even if, for now at least, you can't go that route, you should still try the K-1000s with the NAD--it may turn out to be the perfect combination for your needs.

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 55
Until I saw this thread, it never occurred to me to try my early Carver Receiver (Model 6250) with the K1000s, as I've been listening to the K1000/RKV for a few days now.
Well, I was quite surprised to find that, using the thick custom cable that aeberbach built, plugged into the headphone jack, the sound was excellent. Definitely a tad brighter than the RKV, but still incredibly detailed, with very good bass and that huge soundstage was still there.
Speaking of soundstage, on a side note, the other day, I plugged the K1000s into the RKV and pressed play on a Nina Simone CD (recorded live at the Village Vanguard) which I picked up from the library, and I thought that I had accidentally turned on my speakers by mistake. I actually bent over to hear if my speakers were on. Now that's a pair of headphones with a HUGE soundstage. Incredible. I just love these things!
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
I plugged the K1000s into the RKV and pressed play on a Nina Simone CD (recorded live at the Village Vanguard) which I picked up from the library, and I thought that I had accidentally turned on my speakers by mistake. I actually bent over to hear if my speakers were on. Now that's a pair of headphones with a HUGE soundstage. Incredible. I just love these things!
biggrin.gif

That happens to me all the time. Spooky, eh?

Glad you finally found a pair--touchdown!

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Neither can I, but for some reason it never seems to stop me.
biggrin.gif

I do agree that at it's price point (and even higher, IMO), the nOrh can't be beat. Even if, for now at least, you can't go that route, you should still try the K-1000s with the NAD--it may turn out to be the perfect combination for your needs.

I don't think nOrh equipment is available in Australia.

frown.gif

Maybe I should get some of those ASL Wave 8's.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 55
This topic seems to have topped out, but I still wanted to get my 2c in: I used mine with a MF A3^CR pre/power pair, and it worked just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have an old Pioneer receiver (SS) that I need to try it with, but I suspect it will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back