k1000 owners club
Feb 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #661 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the post where I got the information about AKG changing the voicing of the K1000.

Thanks!
Totally missed out of that thread. Luckily it is not just in my head, but there is a real sound difference between the low and high serial ones.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #662 of 1,660
As I've researched the legendary serial topic on the K1000 some days ago, here's a short summary what I found out:

Fitz underlined the physical difference by making a frequency response comparison:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unlikely when you compare pairs that both had very few hours on them. With the grilles off and comparing them side by side you can see a subtle difference in the diaphragm material, the later ones being slightly glossier. When you factor in AKG's history of making multiple changes to the diaphragm material and doping over time on their other headphones, this is not an unexpected situation. I also did measurements on two pairs while recabling them, since I had them apart at the same time and could see if the PCBs were the cause of any difference. FWIW the PCBs both had the same effect on the sound (i.e. no difference between them), and without them there is an obvious and IMO undesirable increase in the overall level of the treble, which goes contrary the vague notion some people have suggested that they should be removed.

Here's the response of both low serial (red) and high serial (green) drivers, 1/3 octave smoothed. The microphone was placed very close to the driver (easier to consistently line it up that way) so do not take this as truly indicative of the actual at-ear frequency response, just the relative differences between the two are what's useful here. I don't remember what the vertical scale on here is, but I want to say something around 12dB/div, horizontal scale is 30Hz to 20KHz.

Treble response is the same for all intents and purposes, while the midrange has a 2-3dB increase on the low serial versus the high serial, almost the same in the midbass, and as much as a 4-5dB increase at the lower end of the bass. With the low/mid frequency attenuation caused by normal listening distance from the driver, the low serial will tend towards having a flatter overall response (with more bass extension), while the high serial will have a slight treble emphasis. The same basic character is shared between the two versions, so the difference is small enough to fall within personal taste (also depends on what angle you put the earspeakers at), but I'm the type who considers whatever I prefer to be the better one. That's why AKG is best.
wink.gif

milezone and Nik also shared their experience according low/mid/high serials:

Quote:

Originally Posted by milezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned two pair, one 4xxx black box and one 11xxx tan box. I prefer the lower s/n model and thus kept that one. The main difference was that the high s/n sounded like a great dynamic, where as the low s/n has Stax-like fluidity. I attribute this to a bassier, warmer, perhaps less aggressive character of the low s/n model. Furthermore the low s/n sounded more effortless. Something to note, the low s/n has a stock cable where as the high s/n was recabled with an APS v2.

As for the physical differences, I opened both up to examine what was going on. The following parts were different:

-The resistor (impedance related I think)
-The cylindrical unit which houses the thin copper wire (on the low s/n it's black, the higher s/n was clear/copper colored)
-On the later edition there was an extra copper wire, wrapped around some cotton yarn, which actually threaded through a corner the latex membrane and terminated in some conductive gel (like a ground of some sort)
-Finally on the older model there is some dampening foam on the back of the driver. On the newer model this foam was absent (possibly removed)

Lastly there are two types of black boxes. The early black boxes have a shiny chrome latch and a chain. The later black boxes have a matte latch and an attached hinge.

That's all I know. Hopefully we can get some pictures up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another K1000 sn 06xxx ...

During these latest mounts I had many K1000, some of the new branch (sn 10xxx and 11xxx) and other two of the older series: 03xxx and 06xxx, this is the last I have bought. All these K1000 are new (never used, so they need a burnin time to give their best).

All the Can sound different, some just a bit, just a very little difference, other are very different. The new series are generally more brilliant and clear, some times they have a thin sound. The olders have the most full body sound.

There are some differences in the construction, the driver have a different position of the wire inside. Even the sn 06xxx has that little internal wire on the internal side of the pads. Only the oldest one, the sn 03xxx, has that wire in a different position, on the back of the driver. And only this one has the most full and body sound, I’d say that this one (the oldest), is the very best K1000 respect to all I have.

I don’t know which kind of driver have the other series as 04xxx and 05xxx, but I think that the first K1000, from 0 to 03xxx are the very best.

k1000smile.gif

So there are definitely differences in low and high serial versions. Driver changes might have been achieved anywhere around #7000-9000.
Finally nearly all presumptions according K1000 serials.
tongue_smile.gif

btw: I've never seen a serial under 1000, anyone here?

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #664 of 1,660
I have been told by Alex of APureSound that he has seen three type of drivers. Here are pictures of the one in my S/N6191 followed by a replacement unit you can buy from AKG Germany. I am also including a pic of my K1000 which was recently fixed by Fitz in Atlanta, thanks a million.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #665 of 1,660
x2 great work, Fitz. Would the color of the drivers be any indication? I see that the second pic driver is more yellow than the first, but that could just be lighting/flash.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #666 of 1,660
I think that's just a white balance issue in the 2nd photo, the difference I've seen is fairly subtle even with different versions side by side. It's more a difference in luster than color.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #667 of 1,660
Just listened to my k1000s again after 6 months in the box.
Was listening to some new toys like the hd800 and the R10s...
WOW...happy to say that they hold their own own against everything else that I've heard.
R10, by their presentation, are just more intimate and bring you closer to the music, which I like especially when the primary focus is vocals. They are warmer, smoother but less detailed than the k1000s. With vocals, I want to be very close and the R10s definitely work here.
But for anything with lots of instruments such as classical, jazz, accoustical music where you want that soundstage, imaging, detail, airyness, I prefer the k1000s.
Again, it reinforces my belief that no headphone is the best at everything, but depending upon what you want to listen to, one can work better than others.
That being said, this comparison is side by side. Just having one or the other, I'd be more than satisfied with having just one of them to listen to a variety of music.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #671 of 1,660
Do you have a short list, say 3-5, which you owned before this one please Model 7000-300b

Retail price is scary, but much interesting used, however still pricey and comes, if you are lucky, in the same leage as Air Tight 300B, used I mean.

thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zanden 300B.
It took me a little while to find an amp that really makes the k1000s shine.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #672 of 1,660
The only other amp that I really liked was the Air Tight 300b and at a slightly lower level the Woo Audio 5.
Below that, I've heard Moth 300b, Red Wine Audio 30.2, Eddie Current ZDT which are good but not at the same level.
I did own a single power extreme a long time ago which had upgraded transformers that was supposed to drive the k1ks but never thought they were that great with them.
I really do recommend a dedicated speaker amp to drive these beasts.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #675 of 1,660

Users who are viewing this thread

Back