K1000 - music running 24/7 = warmer sound , burn-in is real!
Jul 14, 2006 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 233

Patrick82

Banned
For the past month I have been running music through the K1000 at 22 dB lower volume than I listen to. Today I paused the music (everything still powered up) for 4 hours, and when I resumed playback it sounded MUCH brighter! I didn't have any problem whatsoever with brightness before that, it sounded warm and like real life! But now it sounds fatiguing and I get a headache from the edgy treble, there's also lack of bass. It's unbearable to listen to, annoying sibilance.
mad.gif

It's not the source that's the problem because I use two with the other in stand-by, it's either GCC-100 amp, Valkyrja speaker cable, or K1000. I believe it's the headphones that require constant diaphragm movement to keep them soft, what do you think?

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Tubes in the Cary?

I don't use the tube output in Cary. Solid-state sounds better to me now.

I leave the Cary in stand-by because I don't like to wear out the transport. I use the DAC1 to keep my K1000 warmed up.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 233
Wow, dramatic.

They have been warmed up 4 hours now and when I put them on my head it didn't sound as annoying anymore, instead of wanting to turn off the music I want to continue listening. It's still bright though, but it doesn't give me a headache anymore. Seems like another day of warm-up is needed...

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 233
Perhaps this is due to your removal of the PCB and installation of the Valkyrja; Alwayswantmore commented on similar problems you're having when he modded with the cable you loaned him. Maybe without the PCB, this "warmup" becomes required?

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Perhaps this is due to your removal of the PCB and installation of the Valkyrja; Alwayswantmore commented on similar problems you're having when he modded with the cable you loaned him. Maybe without the PCB, this "warmup" becomes required?

After I had installed the Valkyrja I was using Krell amp and didn't have music running because of electric bill (100+ watts!), I only listened 6 hours per day. I guess my ears were just used to that sound. After I got my new amp it didn't sound any brighter even without burn-in, further burn-in didn't seem to make it warmer, I heard a little more detail every day though.

After a month of K1000 warm up my ears got used to that sound and are more sensitive to changes now. I can now hear a night and day difference when disabling and enabling crossfeed in Foobar! A year ago it was only subtle and I didn't even know if it was working! It sounds 2 dimensional, flat and unfocused with crossfeed enabled, it's more relaxing though.

It seems like brighter components + 24/7 warm-up is the way to go for me, I need the detail.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
It's not the source that's the problem because I use two with the other in stand-by, it's either GCC-100 amp, Valkyrja speaker cable, or K1000. I believe it's the headphones that require constant diaphragm movement to keep them soft, what do you think?

Or you're completely insane.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych

It also could be because of a different ambient temperature. After I pressed pause the temperature dropped pretty fast... It hasn't been this cold for months. It's 24.5C inside and 11.5C outside. A couple days ago it was 29C inside, yesterday it was sweaty too. If this is the reason I will build a sauna for K1000 to keep it warm.

6 and half hours warm-up now and it sounds little warmer but still bright. It's weird that earlier today I complained of the warm sound and wanted to upgrade to a colder source.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
It also could be because of a different ambient temperature. After I pressed pause the temperature dropped pretty fast... It hasn't been this cold for months. It's 24.5C inside and 11.5C outside. A couple days ago it was 29C inside, yesterday it was sweaty too. If this is the reason I will build a sauna for K1000 to keep it warm.

6 and half hours warm-up now and it sounds little warmer but still bright. It's weird that earlier today I complained of the warm sound and wanted to upgrade to a colder source.

No, I think I was right the first time.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych

Agreed

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Just make sure you dont burn them out ... keeping them on 24/7 will burn them out rather quickly...

Better stack up my room with backup drivers then.
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Do you think the humidity might affect the K-1000 as well? Maybe a humidity and temperature controlled environment would be best.

It all matters, the question is how much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back