K1000: Balanced or single ended drive?
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Donald North

Member of the Trade: Donald North Audio and Riva Audio
Has anyone experimented with and compared balanced versus single ended drive of their K1000? Which amp(s) did you use and how did it sound? Which did you prefer?

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 23
Next week I'll get a CEC HD53N which shall drive the K 1000 balanced. I'd report then.
beerchug.gif

P.S.: The HeadRoom Max Balanced hasn't sufficient power to drive the K 1000 (not for volume but for control).

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 23
With "balanced drive" you mean a fully balanced source (DAC) and amplifier, right?
I sadly have not had the option to hear such a setup this far. Parted with my balanced DAC (Electrocompaniet ECD1) before I acquired my first K1000, and now I 'only' have an unbalanced DAC.

My β22 is fully balanced though, so we will have to see what the future brings.
smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 23
I think the best I've heard it with remains the Zanden/Moth Paradigm 300B and now the Eddie Current Balancing Act.. these are probably my reference amps with the Zanden at top.

I'd like to hear it with a good class A push pull amp with proper output impedance... but even with improper output impedance SET amps seem to be great though single ended though the BA is semi-balanced with input/output transformers and I am using a balanced source.

I think having a good topology, enough power and proper output impedance > the balanced or single ended discussion personally.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With "balanced drive" you mean a fully balanced source (DAC) and amplifier, right?
I sadly have not had the option to hear such a setup this far. Parted with my balanced DAC (Electrocompaniet ECD1) before I acquired my first K1000, and now I 'only' have an unbalanced DAC.

My β22 is fully balanced though, so we will have to see what the future brings.
smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Well, you don't need fully balanced (differential) input through output to enjoy the benefit of balanced drive. A transformer coupled SET amplifier, for example, can provide balanced drive through a center tapped secondary output winding.

I've only heard the K1000 driven single ended (grounds connected together in amplifier) and am curious to try them balanced driven.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 23
Both my Signature 30.2 and Little Dot T_150 outputs are truly balanced, as the negative speaker taps in T-amps do not share a common ground. FWIW, both of these amps sound much better than anything I have tried that has a common ground.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 23
Does anyone know if the Manley Stingray is balanced? From what I know, it's basically two monoblocks put together inside one chassis from what I read. Does that mean it's balanced?

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 23
No, it doesn't. It means it's two monoblocks. I.E. One seperate amp per channel. This does not infer that each of those amps is balanced.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 23
What I meant to say was balanced drive which can be achieved even without differential input.

Wouldn't having two monoblocks mean that each have its own ground?

Thanks for your input Duggeh.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 23
moonboy,
Having two monoblocks still wouldn't make a balanced, cause you still don't have the inversed (-) signals.
Balanced signal uses 3 cables per channel: +, -, and ground, with the output to the cans only through + and -, without any ground wire.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant to say was balanced drive which can be achieved even without differential input.

Wouldn't having two monoblocks mean that each have its own ground?

Thanks for your input Duggeh.

Just to confirm, the Manley Stingray is not balanced.
o2smile.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone besides HiFlight listened to the K1000 out of a Red Wine Audio battery operated t-amp like the Signature 30.2? If so please post your impressions. Thanks.

Indeed!
biggrin.gif

Impressions from a year back, but they still stand -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/r...30-2-a-350663/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back