JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #393 of 1,936
Aside from a boost in the mid-bass these are extremely balanced. There might be the odd dip or peak but nothing I can easily detect. These really remind me of the SRH-1840 aside from the mid-bass. They are not quite as big sounding or airy but at one fifth the price, fully portable, and isolating I am quibbling when I say that.

I am noticing I am cranking these up a lot more than other IEM's though so I am missing the peak in the mids I have grown used to.

If the bass settles down I think these may offer the best neutral sound for the money.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #394 of 1,936
Quote:

eek.gif

I've heard the RE272 has the best treble in the universal world. Are you sure you don't mean RE262?

This is my opinion only, I prefer listening to the CKM500 over the RE272, that includes the treble.....I like the treble better with CKM500, not analyzing which is better technically.  I had the RE262 twice, and it has very good mids, but treble is lacking for me!

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #395 of 1,936
Well for me the 80 will impress if it can beat the ASG-1.2, because to my ears no universal is beating it (although different in sound signatures, the W4 ties with it pretty much). But the CKM500 can forget about (excpept the 500 has excellent forward highs). Overall the ASG-1.2 demands respect. So anyway, I'm hoping the D80 can impress me (although I'm not expecting the 3-Dism of the ASG-1.2).Drums are king in the ASG-1.2.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #397 of 1,936
Jun 29, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #400 of 1,936
Quote:
 Bass is also stronger on the FXD.

eek.gif
  And meanwhile the XBA-4 sports dual woofers! What marketing / pricing baloney. 
redface.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #401 of 1,936
These FXD80 REALLY tempt me. I already got CKM500, it sounds just like what ppl say in this forum. Now this, if these compliment CKM500 dynamic sounds that be really great. I've listened to DBA02 MKII and like its signature. I have the impression that the 80 signature probably quite similar with DBA. Clean, detailed mids and high. No?

If not for the price, DBA sold around 200+ here, I could have these two and be done with it. Probably, heheheh.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #403 of 1,936
These? http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1840-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B0073A4FM4
ir

"They are not quite as big sounding or airy"

Well...

:eek:

Yup those :)

I recently did a shoot out thread for all 3 Shure headphones in the full size forum and own the 1440 and 940 models and am shipping the 1840 back to their owner. So am very familiar with these headphones. I was hoping the FXD80 would be like the 1440 as that model has more forward mids which is my preference, but their neutrality is more like the 1840. Like I said they are not as big sounding as the 1840 but that really is an unfair comparison since the 1840 is Shure's flagship open full size headphone.

But yes, if the bass settles down and the treble mellows just a tad the FXD80 may be that darn good...

Btw just to balance the glowing comments a bit. These are not my most comfortable IEM, their isolation is only average, and even worn over ear I still here microphonic thumps when walking to only average there to. But their sonic signature is very good for their price. A very good cross between a BA and dynamic speaker much like the GR07 from a technical perspective (but not signature wise as the GR07 is darker sounding).

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #404 of 1,936
Got to exchange my faulty pair for a functioning copy today... my first impressions actually fairly closely reflect Inks' interpretation of the Sonove measurements. There isn't enough energy from 1-4 kHz for my usual liking. However, the FXD80 isn't as bad as the FXD70, which definitely sounded like it had scooped out mids. The FXD80 only feels slightly recessed in the mids. I don't mind, as the FXD isn't designed with accuracy in mind and rather has the JVC house sound, only with a more delicate-sounding twist. Besides, the exceptional clarity in the upper midrange and lower treble makes up for it. Also, luckily, what seems like excessive treble energy in the measurements doesn't translate to unnecessary harshness. Sibilance is only accented when it is warranted, otherwise there's no problem whatsoever. When coming from warmer earphones, people may feel that the FXD80 is unduly thin-sounding, but once you get used to the sound signature, you'll see that there's nothing wrong with the weight of voices. It's also not excessively bassy. I thought the FXD70 was a bit too bassy, but the FXD80 takes that down a notch with better control and resolution, undoubtedly the contributions of the extra venting and brass ring added to the FXD80.

It might slightly sound like I don't like the FXD80 and I'm just trying to justify my purchase, but it's not the case at all. After all, I had the choice of not buying it, since I got to audition it beforehand. I think it's absolutely excellent for the price. An U-shaped frequency response isn't my preferred FR, but it has exceptional clarity and resolution, all in a durable, attractive, and versatile form factor. The delicate nature of its treble is also something special, not seen in most dynamics. It's not 'hot' in any way at all. It also fits remarkably well with the type of music I usually listen to (e.g. Diana Krall, Stacey Kent, Melody Gardot, Classical Violin, etc.) I envision using it for a very long time. The one thing I would really watch out for is the potential channel imbalance. Looks like most people have not had this issue, but at the store that I bought my FXD80, it wasn't only I who had the channel imbalance problem. People who bought the FXD70 and FXD60 also had this problem and had to go in and get them exchanged.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #405 of 1,936
Got to exchange my faulty pair for a functioning copy today... my first impressions actually fairly closely reflect Inks' interpretation of the Sonove measurements. There isn't enough energy from 1-4 kHz for my usual liking. However, the FXD80 isn't as bad as the FXD70, which definitely sounded like it had scooped out mids. The FXD80 only feels slightly recessed in the mids. I don't mind, as the FXD isn't designed with accuracy in mind and rather has the JVC house sound, only with a more delicate-sounding twist. Besides, the exceptional clarity in the upper midrange and lower treble makes up for it. Also, luckily, what seems like excessive treble energy in the measurements doesn't translate to unnecessary harshness. Sibilance is only accented when it is warranted, otherwise there's no problem whatsoever. When coming from warmer earphones, people may feel that the FXD80 is unduly thin-sounding, but once you get used to the sound signature, you'll see that there's nothing wrong with the weight of voices. It's also not excessively bassy. I thought the FXD70 was a bit too bassy, but the FXD80 takes that down a notch with better control and resolution, undoubtedly the contributions of the extra venting and brass ring added to the FXD80.

It might slightly sound like I don't like the FXD80 and I'm just trying to justify my purchase, but it's not the case at all. After all, I had the choice of not buying it, since I got to audition it beforehand. I think it's absolutely excellent for the price. An U-shaped frequency response isn't my preferred FR, but it has exceptional clarity and resolution, all in a durable, attractive, and versatile form factor. The delicate nature of its treble is also something special, not seen in most dynamics. It's not 'hot' in any way at all. It also fits remarkably well with the type of music I usually listen to (e.g. Diana Krall, Stacey Kent, Melody Gardot, Classical Violin, etc.) I envision using it for a very long time. The one thing I would really watch out for is the potential channel imbalance. Looks like most people have not had this issue, but at the store that I bought my FXD80, it wasn't only I who had the channel imbalance problem. People who bought the FXD70 and FXD60 also had this problem and had to go in and get them exchanged.

Reading this, I suggest given the chance to hear the SRH-1440 you would be smitten. I feel the FXD80 is balanced and the 1440 is tipped upwards in the mids. But I LOVE the 1440 and only LIKE the 1840/FXD80 :). I am tempted to try the CKM500 as I suspect the mids will be more to my liking, but if the bass is stronger than FXD80 which are on the cusp of being to much for me I probably wouldn't be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back