JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #361 of 1,936
because the XBA's suck that's why.

The FXC51 is far too V-shaped and lacks clarity + highs (see: ER-4, RE272) but sounded really good with eq'ing especially for the price around $50 in Japan or less at amazon.nom.

While I liked the FXT90 quite a lot esp. with rock music, it had some hardness and glare in the highs, and lacked the sound field intoxication of the FXC51 which you mentioned in your FXD80 thoughts.

The wooden FX500 has a lot of issues, it's too narrow sounding for one.

The Sony EX600, EX700 and EX1000 are all very good and special IEM's, but sound a little detached in the sound field, definitely no inner core (see: FXC51).

Hopefully the FXD80 is a winner.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #362 of 1,936
That's telling it like it is. I tried XBA-4, paying original MSRP at Sony store and returned them very soon thereafter for a complete refund. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #363 of 1,936
For $500 bananas I'd do that too, especially when veteran a_recording and tomscy2000 are legit comparing the sound of the JVC FXD80 to the Sony XBA-4
eek.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #364 of 1,936
I tried the XBA3 and did enjoy them but returned them within a couple days as well. Just to much for what they did. I also was not a fan of their cables.

But back to the FXD80. I cooked these for the night and they seem to have more midbass I hope this is just an early peak in the burnin process as the hump is a bit distracting and I hope it diminishes at least a bit. The treble is also slightly reminiscent of the FXT90 it faint but there, again I hope this settles down a bit more with time. Mids have stayed very neutral as well but this may be OK, again to early to tell. I do like the instrument separation and they do have a very nice soundstage. Overall I can say they are the nicest JVC I have heard and if a few things settle down may be my new go to IEM.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #365 of 1,936
Quote:
I tried the XBA3 and did enjoy them but returned them within a couple days as well. Just to much for what they did. I also was not a fan of their cables.
But back to the FXD80. I cooked these for the night and they seem to have more midbass I hope this is just an early peak in the burnin process as the hump is a bit distracting and I hope it diminishes at least a bit. The treble is also slightly reminiscent of the FXT90 it faint but there, again I hope this settles down a bit more with time. Mids have stayed very neutral as well but this may be OK, again to early to tell. I do like the instrument separation and they do have a very nice soundstage. Overall I can say they are the nicest JVC I have heard and if a few things settle down may be my new go to IEM.

I am glad you got your pair dweaver, and I was trying to talk you out of it but at that point I wasn't sure if I was fully sold on these FXd80s myself. But I can assure everyone burn in is an absolute requirement on these. Kinda fun to hear the changes too. My pair is on 150 hours and I am happy to report. These sound absolutely spectacular. Give it at least a weeks worth and they should settle to very nice sound.

Initially I was thinking 100 hours but I am now thinking more 120-140ish..Mine are finally cooked into what I think is their final sound and it is all smiles!

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #366 of 1,936
Quote:
For $500 bananas I'd do that too, especially when veteran a_recording and tomscy2000 are legit comparing the sound of the JVC FXD80 to the Sony XBA-4
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
 !

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #367 of 1,936
Quote:

The FXC51 is far too V-shaped and lacks clarity + highs (see: ER-4, RE272) but sounded really good with eq'ing especially for the price around $50 in Japan or less at amazon.nom.

While I liked the FXT90 quite a lot esp. with rock music, it had some hardness and glare in the highs, and lacked the sound field intoxication of the FXC51 which you mentioned in your FXD80 thoughts.

The Sony EX600, EX700 and EX1000 are all very good and special IEM's, but sound a little detached in the sound field, definitely no inner core (see: FXC51).

The likely hood you will not like these. Hmm Lets see. No chance. Lol. You are gonna love these Kiteki. I am willing to bet on it. The same reasons why you liked the FXC51 are on here but at a much more refined level. After getting used to this sound it is tough to hear other iems with looser sound. Lol! IT is ruining my other iems. damn it!!

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #369 of 1,936
Quote:

haha, kiteki you'r here too!

there was a 50% chance i'd get the XBA1 and now you made it -50%. i hate you, thanks!

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #370 of 1,936
Quote:

I am glad you got your pair dweaver, and I was trying to talk you out of it but at that point I wasn't sure if I was fully sold on these FXd80s myself. But I can assure everyone burn in is an absolute requirement on these. Kinda fun to hear the changes too. My pair is on 150 hours and I am happy to report. These sound absolutely spectacular. Give it at least a weeks worth and they should settle to very nice sound.

Initially I was thinking 100 hours but I am now thinking more 120-140ish..Mine are finally cooked into what I think is their final sound and it is all smiles!

Do these sound better than the CKM500?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #371 of 1,936
I love both of them like no other earphones I have ever owned. Are these better? In some ways yes. The imagery for me on these FXD80s are tops in anything I have ever heard..The sound field is laid out in such a manor that conveys the entire tune so precisely and cleanly it is hard not to like. The CKM500 on the other hand has the immersion factor and the full rich sound that is also very much to my liking..I like how efficient the CKM500 is over these JVCs. Somehow I have a feeling JVC could have made these more efficient but I am thinking they had higher end gear in mind for these FXD80s. Even a small amp will throw the sounds on these JVCs into the clouds but the CKM500 don't need amping at all to get there.

The CKM500 has the bigger wider more authoritative sound and they represent one of the best dynamic earphones on the market for the price. These JVCs are clearly at a new level of refinement for JVC. I would say try them out as I stated before. Much like my CKM500 which I deem as a special earphone. These JVCs are special as well and also at a very nice price for this sound. I am certain these are JVCs answer to the new CKM earphones by AT.. Will they replace my CKM500? No but they are a fantastic companion to them. Different enough to like both sounds. So the pros of both sounds are what has me grabbing both. The deep thicker richer, wider sound of the CKM500 and or the precise clean detailed 3D like presentation of the FXD80s..As I stated before. Out of all my collection. I can die a happy man with my CKM500 and these FXD80s. Both will do my music 100% justice but both have a different take on that music. And that is what makes this hobby so great.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #372 of 1,936
Quote:
I love both of them like no other earphones I have ever owned. Are these better? In some ways yes. The imagery for me on these FXD80s are tops in anything I have ever heard..The sound field is laid out in such a manor that conveys the entire tune so precisely and cleanly it is hard not to like. The CKM500 on the other hand has the immersion factor and the full rich sound that is also very much to my liking..I like how efficient the CKM500 is over these JVCs. Somehow I have a feeling JVC could have made these more efficient but I am thinking they had higher end gear in mind for these FXD80s. Even a small amp will throw the sounds on these JVCs into the clouds but the CKM500 don't need amping at all to get there.

The CKM500 has the bigger wider more authoritative sound and they represent one of the best dynamic earphones on the market for the price. These JVCs are clearly at a new level of refinement for JVC. I would say try them out as I stated before. Much like my CKM500 which I also deem as a special earphone. These JVCs are special as well and also at a very nice price for this sound... Will they replace my CKM500? No but they are a fantastic companion to them. Different enough to like both sounds. So the pros of both sounds are what has me grabbing both. The deep thicker richer, wider sound of the CKM500 and or the precise clean detailed 3D like presentation of the FXD80s..As I stated before. Out of all my collection. I can die a happy man with my CKM500 and these FXD80s. Both will do my music 100% justice but both have a different take on that music. And that is what makes this hobby so great.

Dsnuts,  OK, now I'm getting sucked in for the FXD80's.....but the CKM500 IMO is the best IEM I have heard, I like the Audio Technica sound as I have had headphones by AT.  Probably wouldn't like the CKM500 as much without my custom tips.....do the FXD80's have the same diameter nozzle as the CKM500?  Do the Meelec tips work on the FXD80?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #373 of 1,936
Quote:

Dsnuts,  OK, now I'm getting sucked in for the FXD80's.....but the CKM500 IMO is the best IEM I have heard, I like the Audio Technica sound as I have had headphones by AT.  Probably wouldn't like the CKM500 as much without my custom tips.....do the FXD80's have the same diameter nozzle as the CKM500?  Do the Meelec tips work on the FXD80?

I feel your pain.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #374 of 1,936
Quote:
I got the ebay ones. Ems shipping it cost me $132 or so..I think these are worth whatever you guys are paying for them. These aren't just a deal.. These are something special and on top of that it is a deal.  This sound is intoxicating. The imaging for me is just amazing. The sound field in space in your head it is mind blowing at times. Just the sound. If you guys get one new iem this year. These belong in everyone's stable. Bass using boost on these make them sound like a high end night club in your head. Happy listening to everyone.

beerchug.gif

Do you have a link to purchase with EMS shipping?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #375 of 1,936
The overall sounds on the FXD80 is leaner over the CKM500. Again different presentation and sound. But what makes up for that is the precision on the sound tuning and the speed of these iems. Here you go. I tried them with the Meelec tips. They fit perfectly but I am not sure if I like the sound. It seems to enhance the highs a bit. Will try some of the other Meelec tips once I get my order. If you get the ebay pair when you check out just do the most expensive shipping option it is ems worth the quick ship for not too much more than standard.

Lol. Some random guy comes into my shop. Tells me. Not ask me but tells me to charge his cell phone for him. To that I just replied.. NO.  
So the guy tells me to screw Off and leaves. Lovely. I love idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back