JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jun 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #76 of 1,936
Optimism, that's the spirit! I will be getting this down the line though since I want to see how they can trump the FXT90. Considering the real price of the FXT90 is around $100 (Canadians can get it for that price and doesn't have to be imported from Japan), The FXD80 could be a better bargain. I don't see why JVC would want to do that unless the FXT90 just isn't selling well (doubtful).

Interesting to see though if this can be the next GR07 bang-for-the-buck value. That reminds me, I do need to hear what's all the hubbub with the GR07. Anyone want to offer me a reasonable used one? (I am joking by the way).

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #77 of 1,936
I'm still shocked by how many people are annointing the FXD line as giant killers already. I believe in JVC's track record and their technology, but I'm not quite ready to give them a premature coronation.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #78 of 1,936
As far as I can tell, I see Dsnut says the FX40 (or something) as an IEM sounding way past its price, and me being a little bit optimistic about the FXD80; and lacking experience with other earphones, can be a pretty invalid opinion, if I would say so myself. As far as today, at least. I might have forgotten if there were already declarations of "the kind is dead, long live the king" already, even before its shipping date. As far as I'm aware, that mostly happens with high-price, high profile, highly anticipated Head-Fi-darling companies' new offerings. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #79 of 1,936
Quote:
Well I feel like an idiot. These guys got on their title I have no idea why but it looks like this on the ebay page.

JVC HA-FXD80-Z Earphone Dynamic Closed Canal Hafxd80z Headphones New Free  

Lol. So when they send the email saying thanks for purchasing. I won and the word free. I can see how people like myself that is eagerly awaiting these might get exited to see the 2 words put together. Considering they send the email confirming the order even before pay pal transaction. Yes I am a dork.

It's most likely that they wanted to write "free shipping" but ran out of characters.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #80 of 1,936
Considering how the previous JVC IEMs are designs, who here believes that these 'Micro Driver' IEMs will have a 5 mm nozzle size? I'm keenly interested in the FXD70 and FXD80 considering my time with the FX40 this evening. The issue is that the 5 mm nozzle size of the FX40 made it nearly impossible to have a comfortable fit in my ears, much less get a proper seal with the tips I tried. I will be returning those next week.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #81 of 1,936
I FINALLY heard the FXT90 today, and I tried three or four different portable amp's with it too.  With the right amplifier and nice rock music from the LOD of my T51 it sounds like an extremely good IEM, definitely above it's price, trust me I tried JH16 and all kinds of other IEM's too - I think those micro drivers like some voltage!

It doesn't really make sense using a $100 IEM with a $400 amp but I have a couple cheap amplifiers on the way so I'll definitely experiment with the FXD80 and amplification when the time comes to see if there's any vital differences.

Just a theory, but since carbon nanotube is pretty much like diamonds, perhaps it's no so 'efficient', not in the volume sense, but requires a little extra voltage and current where paper or plastic doesn't?  Just a theory for now.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #82 of 1,936
Nice. I can't wait to try out mine. However because of my experiences with the FX40 carbon nanotube drivers. I am not going to post much impressions until they get a solid pounding from my burn in station. Gotta chisel away at them Diamonds cus I bet they be coals out of box. I do expect diamonds
ksc75smile.gif
and lots of them.!

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #84 of 1,936
Reading it now =)

[size=smaller][size=x-small]HA-FXD80[/size][/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]HA-FXD70[/size][/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]HA-FXD60[/size][/size]

^All voltage bases covered.

​
^ talkin' stategy​

1 line driver = 2 innings

[size=smaller][size=x-small]= 2[/size][/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]= 1[/size][/size]

HE PITCHES

b0081yu6yw.01.jpg

jvcCaption.jpg

sexy-Baseball-korean-girl-Han-Ga-Eun-2-www.kangaroojack.jpg

​

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #85 of 1,936
I just read the article using Google translate, it did a pretty decent job with the translation. FWIR about the FXD80's sound -

The sub bass is quite strong, but it is tight and refined.
The mids or highs are not buried under it at all. The overall clarity and detail resolution is superb. The mids and highs are handled like a BA.
Overall these sound amazing. If someone asked them if the FXD80 cost $200, they would say yes.
Not meant for those who want a flat monitor sound. The resolution will satisfy you but the balance won't (sub bass emphasis).
Soundstage is very 3D with great imaging.

Having listened to the FX40/FXT90 and EPH100, none of this surprises me at all 
tongue.gif
. The FXD80 seem like they're just a hybrid of the two, taking the best of both worlds. These might be the best in ears to have come in a while guys...can't wait to get em.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #86 of 1,936
Quote:
I just read the article using Google translate, it did a pretty decent job with the translation. FWIR about the FXD80's sound -

The sub bass is quite strong, but it is tight and refined.
The mids or highs are not buried under it at all. The overall clarity and detail resolution is superb. The mids and highs are handled like a BA.
Overall these sound amazing. If someone asked them if the FXD80 cost $200, they would say yes.
Not meant for those who want a flat monitor sound. The resolution will satisfy you but the balance won't (sub bass emphasis).
Soundstage is very 3D with great imaging.

Having listened to the FX40/FXT90 and EPH100, none of this surprises me at all 
tongue.gif
. The FXD80 seem like they're just a hybrid of the two, taking the best of both worlds. These might be the best in ears to have come in a while guys...can't wait to get em.

Thanks for the read! Any idea of the overall sound signature?

EDIT: DOH, i can just google translate it myself! :p

I wish that the comparison to the FXT90 were more clear. Anyone make sense of it?

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #87 of 1,936
He says the mid-high range reminds him of multi-BA setups, and the rich lows are reminiscent of dynamic armatures.

In the highs he also mentions a stainless steel resonance, however in my experience of the Adagio V and FI-BA-SS that is not a negative characteristic.

He says the FXD70 sounds very similar, in fact it seems the only difference is the lack of the brass ring.  It doesn't look vented to me, perhaps it offers slightly better isolation, and the weight is actually 10g versus 8.5g.

The FXD60 is resin and comes in at 5.3g, I think it would be good as a sports IEM or an first-timer IEM?

He says the vocals are slightly hard, I definitely experienced that with the FXT90 on certain vocals yesterday, however the negative became a positive with rock music, the electric guitars sounded 'hard'. =)

Edit:  He also says the asking price is too low, and they sound smoothly above 15,000 JPY.

The overall design is more refined than the FXT90

- stainless steel + brass versus plastic

- deep in-ear insertion versus conventional

- singularity versus frequency overlap

- possibly more advanced carbon nanotube driver this time

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #88 of 1,936
Huh, so like a sexed up FXT90. I'll wait for a few more reviews, but I might need to put up my FXT90's up for sale soon if that sentiment continues. :p

OH, and many thanks for the translation, kiteki!

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #89 of 1,936
Wow, I just put my FXC51's in (deep insertion over-ear style) and some psytrance music on from a $300 DAC just to remind myself of what's special about these.

These IEM's are the king of singularity, there is no phase shift / frequency overlap, there is no inner ear canal refraction, it's just 1 driver versus 1 neural pathway, nothing else to process, direct uplink!

In brief, the FXD80 will be the polar opposite of the Sony XBA-4, which is just a complete mess of phase shift and competing drivers, I can't stand it for more than 10 minutes.

Edit:  In my opinion...

- best type of music for JVC FXC51 = psytrance etc.

- best type for JVC FXT90 (with a nice amplifier) = rock / grunge, etc.

- best type for JVC FX500 = classical / solo violin etc.

- best type for JVC FXD80 = ?

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #90 of 1,936
Just had a look at the FXD80/70/60 review on AV Watch and I wish I could get a pair but that nozzle looks too big for my ears.

They must sound incredible considering how good the FX40 sounded after burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back