JVC/Victor DX1000 amp registry
Sep 8, 2008 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

If this exists already, mods, please feel free to delete. But I thought that since interest in this unique headphone seems to be growing steadily, now might be a good time to consolidate some info into what amps (and sources, etc.) people are using to drive them. My own modest rig is as follows:

Primare CD31/ Azur 840c
Cary SLI-80 Sig/ HR Desktop Balanced

I really enjoy the DX1000/Cary with KT88s and the HR amp does an excellent job also, though it ought to come into its own once I can get these DX1000s balanced. I'd be very interested in hearing more about various tube amps with these phones.

thanks and best,

o

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]My own modest rig is as follows:

Primare CD31/ Azur 840c
Cary SLI-80 Sig/ HR Desktop Balanced[...]

Hey, Orkney,

A Primare/Cambridge Audio/Cary/HeadRoom rig modest?! Anything but!

My solid-state path:
An Oppo DV981HD universal player drops the one's and the zero's into either the Max'd HeadRoom Desktop (Max DAC) or the Grace Design m902 DAC/amp. And there's a Rudistor amp, the NX-03-Steel, coming my way.

beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 43
In before Skylab :p.

Marantz CD5001 > Singlepower MPX3 > JVC DX1000.

Love two-thirds of this setup, looking for a source upgrade down the road.

I have listened to my/another pair of JVC's out of the MPX3, a KICAS Caliente, an RSA Raptor, a Darkvoice 336, a Darkvoice 337, and a Ming-Da tube amp. I like it best out of the Singlepower.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 43
Hmmmm, certainly keeping an eye on this thread as I'll be looking at getting an a home amp to go with my beloved DX-1000.

I'll probably go tubes.

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 43
I am very interested in the DX1000. If anyone has experience of it with the WA6 SE than I would be all ears.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 43
I use mine in 3 diferent set ups:

1) Squeezebox ---> Genesis Time Lens ----> Wadia 27 Dac ----> Rudistor RPX-33 Mk II or Wadia 20 CD transport -----> Wadia 27 Dac ----> Rudistor RPX-33 Mk II

AND

2) Squeezebox ---> Monarchy Audio DIP Classic ----> Threshold DAC 1e --->
Rudistor RP-7 Lite or Teac VRDS 10 (moded) ----> Threshold DAC 1e ---->
Rudistor RP-7 Lite

AND

3) Ipod with dockstation ----> GS-1

After 400 hours of burn-in process they sound very good
darthsmile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 43
iMod iPod (5.5G) > ALO VCap dock > Singlepower MPX3 (Mullard ECC32 + Brimar CV1988's) > DX1000

It's heaven on earth, baby!

DSC01781.jpg

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In before Skylab :p.

Marantz CD5001 > Singlepower MPX3 > JVC DX1000.

Love two-thirds of this setup, looking for a source upgrade down the road.

I have listened to my/another pair of JVC's out of the MPX3, a KICAS Caliente, an RSA Raptor, a Darkvoice 336, a Darkvoice 337, and a Ming-Da tube amp. I like it best out of the Singlepower.

Aura,

I am running my Marantz CDP > Zhaolu w/ upgraded opamps and it does sound better than the RCA outs of the CD5001 but quite a bit. That CDP has pretty much the same DAC chip as their more expensive SACD players, it is just that the RCA outs are not a good as the digital out.

Plus, if you get a DAC, you can have some switching between components ( I know that I run one optical from my Auzen (computer sound card) and coax from the Marantz). Honestly though, the Auzen usually sounds better for fast music, while the marantz does good with classical/acoustic. IMO the Marantz is pretty "warm" as far as sound goes - very smooth.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slim Devices Transporter -> DIY 300B SET -> DX1000
dx1000_300b.jpg

If I interpret this picture correctly, you have reterminated the DX1000 to 4 (?) pin XLR?
Does that mean you (can) drive them balanced?
L3000.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I interpret this picture correctly, you have reterminated the DX1000 to 4 (?) pin XLR?
Does that mean you (can) drive them balanced?
L3000.gif

The stock cable is 4 conductor so can be re-terminated to 4 pin or pair of 3 pin XLR's and driven balanced.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock cable is 4 conductor so can be re-terminated to 4 pin or pair of 3 pin XLR's and driven balanced.

I expect you actually heard them balanced (I'm not sure if the amp you show us here is actually balanced)?
Please, if so, can you give some impressions of the difference?

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I expect you actually heard them balanced (I'm not sure if the amp you show us here is actually balanced)?
Please, if so, can you give some impressions of the difference?

The amp pictured is one single-ended amplification channel per side, transformer output with the secondary grounded (for safety sake) on one side. It is a SE amplifier! But at least one respected manufacturer (whom I will not name and obviously I disagree with this opinion) deems this configuration to be 'balanced'. (Using an input transformer to convert a balanced signal to single-ended, feeding it through single-ended amplification stages and output transformer, does not a balanced amplifier make. But maybe that's a discussion for another thread.)

I do have a 'true' balanced amplifier. 2x (+/-) amplification channels (6SN7/6080) per side, but to be quite honest, I'm not 100% happy with it's sonic qualities SE or balanced. So I don't really have an opinion to offer. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back