JVC RX700 questions
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
as the final piece to my audio inventory (until I need a new amp or soundcard or new cable for JH13's blah blah) I would like some full sized cans for my home PC, not too worried about open back vs. closed back but I would like circumaural.
So I was going to blow the cash on AT AD700's for £99.99 but then I stumbled upon the RX700's last night. I done alot of searching on head-fi about them and read the appreciation thread etc but I just have a few specific questions

1) Soundstage, couldn't really find much info about it. AD700's are meant to have awsome ss, what kind of soundstage does a burned in pad modded RX700 have?

2) cable length..I got conflicting reports but I found somewhere that said almost 12ft... :-/

3) recabling..I can do the whole soldering malarkay, soldered PCB's in the past, but I know nothing about cables themselves. What's a good cable to recable with and how much money am I talking? what would be the advantage of said cable.

Many Thanks

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Can't answer all of them, but:

1) The soundstage I would describe as not being very open. Not terribly small, but not terribly open. Separation of instruments I think is nice though.

2) XD The cable IS long, but I find it manageable. 3.5 Meters or 11.48 ft to be exact.

3) Dunno about this

Great bang for the buck cans! I seem to have messed up mine from taking them out in freezing temperatures everyday though =[

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 5
1. Soundstage is small. Compared to my JVC HA-DX3 which places the driver at almost the same distance from my ears, it feels like everything is very close together and it's harder to pick apart the instruments. I have read that deeper pads may resolve this so I'll be trying the RX900 pads on these this weekend once I get back to campus.

2. The stock cable is 3.5 meters long so I had to tie up using some cable ties or it would be all over the place (I speak of my previous RX700, which has been left in China).

3. I now have recabled RX700 from ecclesand. It uses Mogami cable and a Canare 1/4" plug. You might want to PM him about that. He stated the price of materials was over $15. I'll have to do a listening comparison between this headphone and my roommate's stock RX700 when I get back.

Even though I do find the soundstage lacking and the mids recessed, it serves the purpose as a non-surgical, fun headphone that doesn't cost too much.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the reply guys. Hmm I will have to figure out my next move, whether I save for the AD700's or something else with a bigger soundstage and instrument seperation or just accept the RX700's as cheap and cheerful
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: are there any full cans that are cheap like the RX700 or even RX900 price..say around £50..with a massive soundstage?

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Well the RX900s have been said to have a significantly larger soundstage than the RX700s, though most seem to prefer the 700s for music. Mods can greatly help the 900s though.

Is the soundstage more for music? Because the 700s soundstage is hugeeellyyy increased using foobar and some dolby headphone plugins, with very little to no SQ sacrifice(in some cases its an increase).Works wonders really. Not so much with my other phones, but with the RX700s tis great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back