JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #1,936 of 3,142

Quote:
I would wait for more data points :)

I don´t know if it´s possible for a wooden can to isolate that well apart from there is no real clamping force on the DX 1000 and the leather while big is not quite as soft as the ED 8s. Most of the wooden cans I have tried is ported like denons and audio technicas though. The DX 1000 isolate slightly better then that.

My D7000s (now sold) eventhough were classified as "closed" headphones, in terms of isolation/leakage basically behaved like open headphones. The Ed. 8s are the best closed headphones for isolation and leakage that I've come across.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,937 of 3,142
The Dx1000 doesn't need much clamping force with the overly-large shaped cup covers and their malleable foam, and the soft pleather,. Its hard not to get a seal with your ears.
I wish I could buy more of these covers and put'm on other headphones. Or new ones for my current dx1000; since they are pleather, they finally started to rub away. However, because of their shape and foam, I still get an amazing seal.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,938 of 3,142
I guess all is relative. After the ED 8 the pleather of the DX 1000, LCD-2 etc is rock solid. But yes I do believe I get a decent seal on them but they don´t really isolate all that well.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,941 of 3,142
Yeah the DX1000 if you open and look behind the driver; before the fiberglass like yellow material, there are two big bass ports. I imagine those openings have the secondary effect of some sound leakage of what you are listening to those around you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,942 of 3,142
Hi all!, I've just baught a pair dx1000's, love the soundstage and bass you get from these cans but i'm finding them a touch bright, as they have only had about 32 hours of burn in, does anybody have an idea of how long these cans take to burn in before losing their "brightness"?. Anybody with any experience/thoughts with these cans would be really appreciated!.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,943 of 3,142
When i got an amp more geared toward headphones with lower impedance, the brightness lessened but i lost a little soundstage.  The sound was much fuller.  I originally always used them on a Zana Duex but at one point added a vioelectric v200 to the collection and they respond better to it.  Occasionally I will still run the Zana when i want to open up the soundstage though.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,944 of 3,142
Thanks for that!. At the moment I run mine through a fiio E9/10 combo, there's plenty of power to drive them, maybe it could be the fiio that's the problem, although I also own a pair of D5000's and they were a touch bright as well to begin with, I've put about 80/100 hours of burn in through them, I tried the d5000's strait after using the dx1000's and they certainly seemed to be less bright. If they don't tone down I guess I might have to consider a different dac/headphone amp, or maybe it's just a case of more burn in?.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #1,945 of 3,142
The amp is the problem, under a quarter of a watt driving them.  It may make them loud but will not give fullness and bass anywhere near what their potential is.  That is why I was saying the v200 do a great bit better than my other amps, it puts out over two watts at the 50 ohms as compared to the filo putting out around one fifth of a watt,  so more than ten times more output, that will drive the bass up quite a bit.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,946 of 3,142
JVC DX1000 and bright? That's something I haven't come across before  
confused.gif
 I also agree that amplification is to blame.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #1,947 of 3,142

Quote:
Hi all!, I've just baught a pair dx1000's, love the soundstage and bass you get from these cans but i'm finding them a touch bright, as they have only had about 32 hours of burn in, does anybody have an idea of how long these cans take to burn in before losing their "brightness"?. Anybody with any experience/thoughts with these cans would be really appreciated!.

something is wrong with your amp or your cans...
did you try another, even not dedicated, amp?

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,948 of 3,142
[size=medium]FWIW: Five years after first posting on this thread, the incredible DX1000 remains my number one favorite. Paraphrasing Leonard Cohen, I tried to leave them. I really did. I worked hard on loving other phones more than the JVC. And I did find other models which proved, in one way or another, irresistible to me: the Sennheiser HD800 (fantastic microdynamics, most comfortable of all, sweet, extended highs, very three-dimensional) and the flawed-but-charming Grado GS1000i (midrange candy, airiness, light on the head, plausible headstage), primarily. But I have also found much to like – love, actually – in the Denon D7000 (overall, best bass I’ve known, highly neutral, excellent soundstage depth), the AKG Q701 (widest soundstage, comfortable, good 3D) and the Senn HD650 (excellent soundstaging/three-dimensionality, good bass). I’d be happy with any of the above as my single pair of headphones. Each of them has a number of minor flaws. But each of them delivers at least better-than-entry-level-high-end SQ. None of them can fairly be called “mid-fi-ish”, IMHE. (Give them top-notch amp & source! If you hate any of them, you’re putting the blame in the wrong place!) And yet, after all these years, not even the most obviously impressive of them, the one that most obviously conveys a sense of “audio truth”, the HD800, delivers as much all-things-considered sonic goodness as the DX1000.[/size]

[size=11pt]Since buying the DX1000 five years ago, I upgraded the amplification four times and the source three times. I’m now listening to my best amp, the phenomenal Audio-gd Master-5 (simply jaw-dropping!), and my best source, the Audio-gd NFB-10SE balanced DAC. (And there’s a new, presumably better Audio-gd DAC coming my way, the DAC19.) I have also paid handsomely for power conditioning. Through all these upgrades, one thing hasn’t changed: the DX1000 never fails to put a smile on my face. It’s never boring; it’s always surprising, but very judiciously, very cautiously, very cleverly so. Five years later, I’d repeat every word of praise I ever said about the JVC in numerous posts. Yes, these phones do depart from perfect neutrality. And yet, yes, they do so in such a seductive way that even this neutrality freak can’t help but prefer their slightly sugarcoated version of the material to anything that we might want to call “audio truth”. (But, no, they can’t properly be called “euphonic”. It’s more complicated than that.) They win me over every time. I know I’m being manipulated; I know they’re meddling with that, and then with that too; I know that they’re putting more there there than is really there. And yet…somehow, for the most part, that’s how it all should be!
darthsmile.gif
[/size]

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #1,949 of 3,142
Very nice indead. So happy I gave them a second chance.

As for brightness I never knew and have never read about them being bright so hopefully a source or amp switch will solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back