JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Feb 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #376 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most folks, especially these days, just want decent sound at an affordable price point. That was our hope for these cans. They are not enough for me personally but I am constantly driven to see the other side of the fence so yeah. For most folks? These are an end can. If you can live with them, bless you. Me? I'm trying to scheme a way to get a pair of 800s in my hands lol. Pity my wallet but my mind always appreciates a new stimulus.

Cheers

Yep, great to see there is an affordable headphone at the $50 range that will sound awesome.

Good find and good job in getting the word out for those looking for something more affordable.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #377 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I got these you should've seen how many posts I put on these boards saying the AD700 was the king of value. I really believed that you couldn't do better for $100.

To me, the RX700 just sounds a lot better than the AD700 and at less than 1/3 of the cost. I'm amazed.

I'm not saying they're the best phones around, just the best that I've heard of all the ones I've owned (see sig). So I can sell $350 worth of headphones and keep the $30 ones. That makes me happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, I'll probably blow all the money I make selling them on a better headphone...

Oh, and I haven't given up on the RX900 yet. Something tells me that has some potential. But its little brother is really upstaging it at the moment.

Out of the rx700 / rx900. which can would you prefer for fps games? Also which of the 2 would have more bass for say hip-hop music. The ad700 blew me away for games but music lacked that bump.

thanks for your time

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #378 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like the rx700 is a polar set of cans. I personally didn't find the SQ very impressive, even after the felt removal mod and ~50 hours of burn in. Definitely better than most $35 headphones, but no better than what I'd expect from the $100 range. Will compare to hd555s when they come in a few days.

Oh and they were also the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've yet to try. Mind you I've only worn 4 or 5 headphones extensively, but these made my ears hurt and keep hurting for an hour after I took them off. In fact, my ears hurt now just thinking about wearing them. I never bothered with stuffing the pads because the design was far from being even slightly comfortable to me. Overall, I'd describe the harx700 as sounding $80, looking 80%, feeling $30, and costing $35. Not bad if you look at it that way lol

Interesting. Try burning them in for a bit longer. I didn't notice a big difference before around 72 hours. I also sacrificed one of my 5 year old daughter's animals and stuffed the housing with that. That seemed to improve them as well.

As for comfort, I really like them. Not quite as much as my AD700 and HD565, but more than the DT770 and WAY more than the SR60. I did steal the leather pads from the 900. They're so nice! My ears have never hurt, and in fact I often find myself thinking how comfortable they are as I wear them.

I guess this just shows the difference in preferences.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #379 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my unschooled ears, my modified RX900s are very good for some genres of music. But aren't so hot for others. So I was starting to think grados or AD900s to get a more aggressive/forward sound to fill the holes in the RX900 spectrum. But maybe I can get good-enough with a set of RX700.

I really like the forward presentation of my SR60, but I've found that the RX700 has the same forwardness with more oomph all around and I like them a lot better. I'd try the RX700 if I were you. Half the cost of the SR60 and better SQ and comfort IMHO.

Not as portable though as far as size is concerned. Isolation, however is miles ahead of the SR60.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #380 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the rx700 / rx900. which can would you prefer for fps games? Also which of the 2 would have more bass for say hip-hop music. The ad700 blew me away for games but music lacked that bump.

thanks for your time

I'm afraid I'm not much of a gamer so I couldn't comment on that so much, although I think gamers like the soundstage and clarity of the AD700. The RX700 or 900 can't match it, honestly. The AD700 sounds like everything is spaced out more, like three feet outside your head. Does that make sense? However, the RX700 is more musical and full. I imagine explosions would be more enjoyable on the RX700 due to the bass.

The RX900 has more bass than the RX700 but not a ton more. I like the RX700 more for hip hop and electronic because it has plenty of bass but its more controlled and its clearer in the highs than the 900. But again, I don't think the 900 is fully burned in yet, and you can just tell it would benefit from dynamat, which I will perform soon and report back on.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #381 of 1,224
Guess I can order one of the rx for music. Then see if I can deal with it for games. Thanks for your observations.

I rather spend say 180 and get what I want in 2 headphones. Than 180 plus for something great in one but lacks in other.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #382 of 1,224
Quote:

Interesting. Try burning them in for a bit longer. I didn't notice a big difference before around 72 hours. I also sacrificed one of my 5 year old daughter's animals and stuffed the housing with that. That seemed to improve them as well.

As for comfort, I really like them. Not quite as much as my AD700 and HD565, but more than the DT770 and WAY more than the SR60. I did steal the leather pads from the 900. They're so nice! My ears have never hurt, and in fact I often find myself thinking how comfortable they are as I wear them.

I guess this just shows the difference in preferences.

darthsmile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #383 of 1,224
I bet that I already know the answer to my question, but I'll ask anyway. If I wanted to replace my HD202's, which are used with a laptop for quiet movie-watching only, would the RX700 be able to handle the task better? I find the HD202 to sound pretty bad, and aren't too comfortable, either. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like the RX700 might be a good cheap upgrade to my Sennheisers.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #385 of 1,224
Hello again kind peoples of head-fi,
just got my rx700's today from buy.com and all I can say is wow! These cans are phenomenal for energetic music like club, pop etc. etc. The price is unbeatable, even verging on the sacred spot of best sub-100 dollar can you can buy. I upgraded these from some Bose's so now I can share in the mutual enmity for Bose that this forum has. Thanks for all of the useful comments all, it really was the deal or no deal, and I am glad I came to the experts
tongue.gif
I know this has been asked before in this thread since I have been following it for a while, but what is/are a good amp(s) for better base? that is all my fair friends, and I shall see you all on threads for more expensive cans soon because you know what they all say about headphones....no neither do I, but if I am like any other new-found fan to audiology, I shall be wanting to part from my sweet sweet cash soon!

PS: These cans sound good out of box, but a little muddy and unpronounced. Even after 5 hours of burn in these sound better than they originally did, this is only in my very own modest opinion though.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #386 of 1,224
Welcome, Dr. The RX700s are a good place to rest your head. I thought they sounded like crap out of the box, so you'll be in heaven after about 72 hours of burn in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Get a Fiio E5. I love this thing, and if you want bass with the RX700, boy, have you got it. The E5 really gets it thumping. And for $20-25 it beats amps many times its price and size.

I just realized something that I should probably disclose as I post all these praises about the RX700 and 900. I'm using EQ. I'm no purist and I say if it sounds good do it. So I am. I find the natural signature of these phones to be a bit flat so I'm boosting the mids all the way up to the highs. Sue me.

Oh, and I checked on the 900s this evening. They're starting to sound much better. I think they're catching up to the 700s. I can't wait to do a dynamat mod on them...

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #387 of 1,224
The 900 is much more suited for games and movies than the 700.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #388 of 1,224
Quote:

I just realized something that I should probably disclose as I post all these praises about the RX700 and 900. I'm using EQ. I'm no purist and I say if it sounds good do it. So I am. I find the natural signature of these phones to be a bit flat so I'm boosting the mids all the way up to the highs. Sue me.

Cool, so I'm not the only one with an EQ. I usually have my iPod EQ turned off, and use a Realistic 10 band EQ with a Kenwood amp. Most of the time it's in Bypass, and when I use it, it takes very little adjustment to get the desired effect with the RX900s. Plus it's fun to have more knobs to dink with.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #389 of 1,224
Quote:

My music only system has no EQ,so the headphones cant be to far of target. I was thinking of add some type of tone control or maybe built a headphone only amp.

Anyone have leftover dynamat to sale? I need about a 1/3 of a sheet to finish the mod on the 900.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #390 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of add some type of tone control or maybe built a headphone only amp.

I think using an EQ results in less distortion than using ordinary tone controls. FWIW, I don't use an EQ or tone controls on any of my other audio systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back