JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #316 of 1,224
Dynamat improves the detail and tightening of bass considerably. Far as I know, that's what it should do. The mod was done quite a long time ago and I didn't bother to do a very detailed listening. However I'm solid on the tightening of bass part.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #318 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know any store that sells these specific JVC models in Canada. JVC are a common brand up here and yet I can't find those models being sold anywhere. Why is that?

You might want to check Victor. Supposedly, the models released through both labels are the exact same.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #319 of 1,224
I purchased my RX900 used from another head-fier. He got them from this merchant who shipped to Quebec.

His comments on his dealings with 110220volts.ca are detailed in this head-fi post.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #320 of 1,224
just got the 700. kinda felt like shoulda got the 900 as i wish there was some more bass, but none the less i dont think they are too bad. only a hour on them so far. i dont think the mid and treble are as recessed as describe. i will still do the felt mod nonetheless.

after listening to a couple songs that i normally listen to, i notice that it lacks some speed. kinda slow fella, hopefully quickens a little after some burn-in

just did the felt mod (take off the bigger section of the felt, leaving only a thin layer of felt), i dont really hear a difference.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #321 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know any store that sells these specific JVC models in Canada. JVC are a common brand up here and yet I can't find those models being sold anywhere. Why is that?

At the time I decided to buy the RX900s, there were no B&M stores offering these in the U.S. It seemed that Buy.Com was the only supplier. I see now there's a Canadian source, but they're charging about $20 more than Buy.com, and no free shipping. Even so, they're worth it, IMO, even at full retail price.
The reason why? Hard to say, but with the frequency that Buy sells out of these, they probably see no need to offer these in-store.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #323 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after listening to a couple songs that i normally listen to, i notice that it lacks some speed. kinda slow fella, hopefully quickens a little after some burn-in

At least 72hrs burn-in time is needed,5 days better!

Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just did the felt mod (take off the bigger section of the felt, leaving only a thin layer of felt), i dont really hear a difference.

I think you are the first person,who noticed little or no difference.

how's the bass on the audio-technica esw9?

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #324 of 1,224
Yeah if you remove the felt and hear nothing different? What the heck are you listening to them out of? An atm machine? lol I can't believe how much this thread has grown. I'm glad some budget headphones have given some folks their entry ticket to hi fi.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #325 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah if you remove the felt and hear nothing different? What the heck are you listening to them out of? An atm machine? lol I can't believe how much this thread has grown. I'm glad some budget headphones have given some folks their entry ticket to hi fi.

Yeah, I'm still very satisfied with these phones on my desk. All else has gone but my HD-600 and the RX900. Kinda says a lot about these guys, huh?
happy_face1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #326 of 1,224
Hey, uhh I am sort of new and excited to this field of Audiology, I just bought these 700's, and I was wondering: What do I need to do to get the best sound out of them?
I have a 5th gen Ipod, and a computer without a sound card...
I don't think I will buy an amp unless its a big deal, well what I am saying is I'm a noob and I would like some help if it can be obliged.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #327 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are the first person,who noticed little or no difference.

how's the bass on the audio-technica esw9?

haha well i did the mod about an hour or so in of getting the headphone. ive been burning them over-night and most of the day, sound has improved i believe. speed as gone up slightly. there is now more bass, mid isn't as recessed. i dont think the 700s need the markl mod like the 900s do.

bass on the esw9 is excellent, sometimes too strong. i'll be doing the germania mod this weekend hopefully. the bass is....very deep (goes down low low) and full w/ has a strong presence. nonetheless, it isn't bloated and not muddy. compared to the 700, i feel that the 700's bass cant touch that of the esw9 as it doesnt have the fullness, depth and resolution. it is sorta like mid-bass + decent bass vs VERY VERY GOOD bass. however considering the price of 700, its an excellent headphone with clear and amazing detail. im actually going around recommending it to almost everyone. haha

btw, i just ordered a 900 for lil sister. if the bass is that strong and loose, i'll definitely be doing the mod. i also want to check out how recessed are the mid/treble on it.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #328 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Badger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, uhh I am sort of new and excited to this field of Audiology, I just bought these 700's, and I was wondering: What do I need to do to get the best sound out of them?
I have a 5th gen Ipod, and a computer without a sound card...
I don't think I will buy an amp unless its a big deal, well what I am saying is I'm a noob and I would like some help if it can be obliged.

Ears. You need ears.

Also, you need to "break in" the headphones by constantly pumping music through them for a day or two. Rockboxing your iPod wouldn't be a bad idea either, but that might take a little more work on your part.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #329 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ears. You need ears.

Also, you need to "break in" the headphones by constantly pumping music through them for a day or two. Rockboxing your iPod wouldn't be a bad idea either, but that might take a little more work on your part.

Rockboxing? do continue kind sir...also I compiled a checklist:
[x] Ipod
[x] headphones
[ ] ears
Is that an issue?

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #330 of 1,224
Peel off the felt. Search for felt mod to see some pics.

Yes you need ears to hear headphones. There are bone conductor headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back