JVC HA-S500 vs Sony XB400/XB600
Dec 23, 2012 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BeyerFan

Head-Fier
Guys,

I need your help here. I have narrowed it down to either the JVC or the Sony. Either the S500 or the XB400 or XB600.

I know all this is subjective, but I need some opinions from those who have owned or heard both S500 and XB400(or XB600). Basically just two simple questions as follows :-

1) For those who have heard both, which do you prefer, that you think sounds better(more coherent, smoother highs and mids, better bass definition etc.)?

2) Which is more comfortable on the head with lower clamping force? Basically a comfortable headphone that can rest on the head for hours.

I would appreciate some help here thanks.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I need your help here. I have narrowed it down to either the JVC or the Sony. Either the S500 or the XB400 or XB600.
I know all this is subjective, but I need some opinions from those who have owned or heard both S500 and XB400(or XB600). Basically just two simple questions as follows :-
1) For those who have heard both, which do you prefer, that you think sounds better(more coherent, smoother highs and mids, better bass definition etc.)?
2) Which is more comfortable on the head with lower clamping force? Basically a comfortable headphone that can rest on the head for hours.

I use to own the MDR-XB500 and currently own the JVC HA-S500-Z (GunMetal Gray).
Unless your a huge basshead who only really cares about bass, get the HA-S500.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 12
Guys,

I would appreciate some help here thanks.

The new Sony XB line is nothing like the old XB line. The XB500's were known for their ridicules bass and super fun headphones but the 400 and 600 were just awful!! Bass is gone and cheaper plastic is inserted. They took a giant step back IMO. When you raise the price and lower the quality to make them "fit in" it's not a good mix.

The JVC's are awesome top to bottom. I use mine for everything. Movies, Music, and gaming. They do it all very well and for $50 you can't go wrong

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
The new Sony XB line is nothing like the old XB line. The XB500's were known for their ridicules bass and super fun headphones but the 400 and 600 were just awful!! Bass is gone and cheaper plastic is inserted. They took a giant step back IMO. When you raise the price and lower the quality to make them "fit in" it's not a good mix.
The JVC's are awesome top to bottom. I use mine for everything. Movies, Music, and gaming. They do it all very well and for $50 you can't go wrong

Thanks man. I've ordered the JVC S500s. I'll be getting them anytime now. Bought them for $60 though.

Cheers.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Got the headphones today. Fresh outta box, I dare say it sounded  more enjoyable than the Sennheiser HD800 which costs 20 times more. Just a nice balanced sound with a bass that is just nice, tight and full and a treble that is sweet, airy and detailed. Wonderful stuff at $60.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
My pair of s500 didnt sound that great on open box, but the detail and airiness just comes after around 50 hours of burn in. How did you get them for $60?

To be exact $66 plus shipping from ebay.

They sound very decent fresh out from the box. I'm going to listen for 2-3 days and see if there are any tangible improvements. I'll create a new thread on the Full Headphones forum later. The S500 surely sounds more enjoyable than the HD800s which are just cold and sterile. Amazing. That just goes on to show that price doesn't really correlate to listening enjoyment. Detail and precision vs organic, warmth and musicality

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 12
As a side-note, the character of the headphones can be established even though it's still new out from the box. I really like what I'm hearing even though the drivers are still new and not burned in yet. No ear pains and headaches. Definitely a good sign.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Have not tried FX40s. I am not exactly a headphone man. The only headphones I"ve owned/tried are as follows:-

Beyerdynamic T1
Beyerdynamic DT-880
Sennheiser HD800
JVC S500.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 12
As a side-note, the character of the headphones can be established even though it's still new out from the box. I really like what I'm hearing even though the drivers are still new and not burned in yet. No ear pains and headaches. Definitely a good sign.

Happy to see you enjoy them! I'm still waiting for mine to burn in as well but right off bat they were amazing. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I've heard some decent sounding cans for decent prices but this is stupid!! Can't wait until they burn in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back