JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Oct 12, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #46 of 2,211

Where would be the cheapest place to get these?

See the buying guide on the first page. 
How do these compare to the Radius DDM1/2?

When joker eventually gets them, he may be able to compare them to the DDM2 but that will happen in about a month at the very least. Based on my  memory between the 3, I can say that FXT90 is less bassy and more balanced, having better treble than both Radius models. 

@shotgunshane: It's really cool that you like them that much and that they're getting better with use. That combination of texture and dynamic-range are the best ingredients for pure enjoyment and emotion. 

**Added a translated layout of the FXT90's components**
 Apparently the base holding the drivers is made of copper, the housing at the back is stainless steel and the cable is made of OFC. This kind of build-quality is unmatched for the price, it's nicely laid-out and well implemented. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #47 of 2,211

Quote:

When joker eventually gets them, he may be able to compare them to the DDM2 but that will happen in about a month at the very least. 

Did you lend yours to joker?  Nice.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #48 of 2,211
My pair has been on tour for awhile, shotgunshane actually has it at the moment. After his turn, there are 2 other users in addition to joker who will possibly give them a listen. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #49 of 2,211

Quote:
I've been listening to these a lot lately and they have become my go to IEM for pure enjoyment.  Previously the GR07 was my favorite for drums and now I'd have to give the edge to the FXT90; and add to that the superb timbre, it brings one hell of a smile to my face.

I've also noticed that the dual drivers in each housing seem to produce a reverb that is very similar to the reverb the FX700 produces with it's wood housing and wood driver.  I think I was mistaking this effect as some boominess in some songs, while getting to know the phones but now that I've logged many listening hours, I no longer hear it that way.  I'm pretty sure this effect is what really brings out the thicker note and musical nature of the FXT90.

Tonight I listened to a BLS song 'Dead Meadows', which is mostly piano and drums.  Very realistic instruments, powerful dynamics and full of emotion.

I think there's a high degree of satisfaction in finding something so enjoyable for a relatively low cost.  Also I think the fact that I find them more comfortable than all my other IEM's, I like the cable better than all my other IEM's and they are super fast and easy to insert really pushes them over the top for me.  I've got minor quibbles will all my other IEM's whether it be fit, finish, cable, comfort or looks but none here.

The GR07 and FXT90 are showing that there is a lot of fun and great music to be had in mid to lower costs phones.

eek.gif

You realize this means I have to get these now lol! The GR07 does drums and piano just wonderfully.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #51 of 2,211
Inks, shotgunshane.. what's the clarity like on these (comparable to?) ?  I get the sense they have a thicker midrange so I'm wondering how they will fare with acoustic music?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #52 of 2,211

Quote:
Inks, shotgunshane.. what's the clarity like on these (comparable to?) ?  I get the sense they have a thicker midrange so I'm wondering how they will fare with acoustic music?

I'd say the clarity is on par with the W4 or Atrio mg7 (going by memory on both).  I think a thicker note gives acoustic guitar a more lifelike weight than thinner sounding phones. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #53 of 2,211
I'd say the clarity is on par with the W4 or Atrio mg7 (going by memory on both).  I think a thicker note gives acoustic guitar a more lifelike weight than thinner sounding phones. 

Impressive.. I've ordered these from AccessoryJack a few moments ago.. I'm looking forward to hearing them!

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #55 of 2,211
I've had a bit of aversion to the FX series from JVC mainly due to the recessed midrange and slightly boosted midbass.. two things I really can't stand in an IEM.. It seems the FXT90 manages to avoid those two tuning characteristics.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #56 of 2,211
The FXT90's midrange is definitely more forward than the fx700. However it's bass presentation is similar to the fx700's 50/50 mid to sub bass. I think it works really well with the fxt90 sound signature. For instance, drums are just ok on the fx700 but are excellent on the fxt90. I think it's the more forward midrange that keeps it cohesive, so you can hear every piece of the kit. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #57 of 2,211
@shotgunshane Can you elaborate just a bit on the fxt90s treble versus the GR07? I saw you mentioned that the GR07s are smoother. Does that mean the fxt90s have a bit more emphasis or sparkle? Because that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #59 of 2,211
Thanks! Mainly I'm interested in things like cymbals and snare drums. Do they have more "crash"? I never thought I'd consider upgrading the GR07s but these sound very appealing. I guess I haven't been here long enough haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back