JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #1,861 of 2,211
Finally, received and processed! Is tomorrow the day? :p

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,862 of 2,211
Alright, time to write a long essay, painful english incoming, brace yourself.

First, let's talk about the problem of these IEMs that shouldn't be here in the first place: the seal, the fit and the comfort
In my previous posts, I did state that the left earpiece does not give me good seal, fit and cause soreness after a period of time. Well, after a few days use, I figured out the reason behind that. You do notice that these IEMs have driver flex when you put them on your ears and mine have too, but only on the right ear. They create a vacuum effect on the ears (when you try pulling them out, you can feel the suction), but frankly enough my left earpiece does not do that. I thought the problem was from the outside of the housing, either nozzle or the surface, but man I was wrong, because its actually from the inside. my theory is that somewhere in the housing, there's an air leakage that leads to failure of creating this vacuum effect, so when I put it on,it  I thought it didn't create sealing (but It did) so I pushed it harder and deeper, even more than it should be and It feels really awkward and not so comfortable, which also cause soreness after a while. Now I realize that I need to adjust them to stay shallow like the right earpiece and thing should be fine. The driver flex is actually an "indication" for having good seal and right placement, so without it, its harder to put the left earpiece in the right place, took me a while to figured out that.
And here's come another problem: would the "air leakage" means there's also sound leakage? I have been worried about that because the right channel seems louder to me, but after a couple of testing (downmix stereo channels to mono, swap sides, boost up bass to look for bass leak,...) I think that it's just me being paranoid. Few days ago I also got a chance to audition Vsonic GR07s and A/Bing them with my FXT90s, and they matched joker's description, so I know there's nothing wrong with the sounds on my pair. 
My conclusion is that this is a common problem among the regular (black) edition of FXT90 (forgot to tell you that I got around to meet another person who has a pair of (broken) golden FXT90 near where I live, and both sides of that golden 90s have driver flex/vacuum effect/good seal, fit and comfort) since many people have been reported something similar in this thread, also I read reviews on amazon japan (using google translation),dound out some people over there complained about the problems like unbalanced sound, left earpiece has its housing broken open, etc.. This is pretty much a quality control/ assurance problem.

Other than that, I must say I love the sounds on these IEMs: airy, bright, good mids, giving music "resolution" and depth, fewer bass quantity than FX40 but much better bass control, aggressive and scarily revealing, though the high can be harsh sometime

tldr: if black edition does not give you good seal, sell it and buy golden edition

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,863 of 2,211
Quote:

The cable roller isn't necessary -- you'll potentially damage the wires if you wrap them around objects.  For these in particular, I picked up this cheap-o headphone case that has a little mesh net pocket on one side.  The pocket keeps the cable held in snugly and the earphones have plenty of room to rest in the rest of the case.

Well I have to agree. The cable roller/winder and the shirt clip are the tools of destruction JVC gave us so we can ruin the cable quicklier. Funny enough the shirt clip comes with JVC HA-FX40 is technically superior, while it's just a lesser IEM.

Quote:
Finally, received and processed! Is tomorrow the day?
tongue.gif

Cheers, the red editions are rare these days so make sure you give them good cares~

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,864 of 2,211
Balance between R/L sides can't be completely equal. This is noticeable when switching between different sets. On one earphone vocals sound a little left, on another a little right. If you compare them by vocals location, then don't hurry to return your pair. This kind of issue is common with a new set.

If you like listening with different IEMs, then you should get used to this. Same earphone can seem to sound a little left one day and a little right another day.

I just sent a pair back to Japan because of this issue, yet when i put in my GR07's they sound perfect. Left to Right balance. The JVC's didnt sound right at all.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,865 of 2,211
Double post for some reason... Ugh. I have read about other people having issue's with unbalance, so i went ahead and sent mine back. Having to pull my right IEM out slightly to balance the sound is certainly something i didnt like. The seal wasnt as good which ruined the listening experience.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,866 of 2,211
Quote:

Well I have to agree. The cable roller/winder and the shirt clip are the tools of destruction JVC gave us so we can ruin the cable quicklier. Funny enough the shirt clip comes with JVC HA-FX40 is technically superior, while it's just a lesser IEM.

Cheers, the red editions are rare these days so make sure you give them good cares~

Well they are used, so lets see what kind of condition they arrive lol

I just couldn't resist pulling the trigger, especially at the kind of price they were going for.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,867 of 2,211
Double post for some reason... Ugh. I have read about other people having issue's with unbalance, so i went ahead and sent mine back. Having to pull my right IEM out slightly to balance the sound is certainly something i didnt like. The seal wasnt as good which ruined the listening experience.

I sent mine back once and they give me another pair with similar problem on the left earpiece

Anyway, tell me if JVC charges you $15 for warranty

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,868 of 2,211
All this recent talk about the FXT-90 lately has prompted me to put them back on after an extended intimacy with my new Westone 3. Although the cable is practically destroyed, they still work and play music flawlessly; I remember why I like them so much. I use the Monster foam tips, even though I am a Comply guy, because they give me the best seal, and paired with my PA2V2 they really sound rich and full which imo is perfect for trance music.

I think comparing them to the Westone 3 is apples to oranges because the Westone is like having a club in your head (which I prefer), while the FXT-90 is like having diamond neutrality with a pinch of bass in your head. I am about to embark on a trip to Florida soon and plan on taking the FXT-90s down there instead of my W3. I am seriously considering having them recabeled from BTG-Audio too, if the price is right. Hmmm, I wonder what an upgraded cable would do to the sound signature
L3000.gif

I think these are IEMs that I will always own, mostly because they were my first introduction to audophile quality stuff and thereby have an attached sentimental value.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,869 of 2,211
Still hopeful for today! :D

As you can see my Red FXT90 are at the delivery depot now. Woo! :p

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #1,870 of 2,211
HMRC are absolute bastards!

Or I'm just really unlucky. :frowning2:

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,871 of 2,211
As much as I love my near-1-year old FXT90, I still have the problem of them feeling stuffy in my ear, unlike when I use my MA350 and my MDR7550. Do some of you guys feel this way too?

My guess is the air pressure was the cause of that stuffy feel in your ears

Anyway, a friend of mine saw my 90s pair, asked to try and then borrowed them just to compare with his brother's newly bought Skullcandy ink'd. If they cant hear the difference, well that's too bad, but if they can, i say there's no turning back for the brothers. Ahhhh it's been one night but I already miss my 90s

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,873 of 2,211
Quote:
how much are they going to charge you??

£21.50

More than half what I paid for the IEMs themselves.

Should get the letter today, gonna pay straight away and get them released.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #1,874 of 2,211
21 pounds to release them!! Holy moly! I bought mine straight of amazon for $88aud delivered. Just bought a pair of FX700's. Returned my defect fxt90's. JVC and Grado arr my fav house sounds :D

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,875 of 2,211
Quote:
21 pounds to release them!! Holy moly! I bought mine straight of amazon for $88aud delivered. Just bought a pair of FX700's. Returned my defect fxt90's. JVC and Grado arr my fav house sounds
biggrin.gif

Yeah I know, I was shocked too lol

Its just my luck that they had to pick on my package. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back