JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Mar 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #123 of 578
  Can't vouch on it as I haven't tried it, but I can see how it could change the sound: it affects the seal as some air will flow between the stripe and the silicone tip. 

Dead on. Basically, it introduces a small amount of front leakage. Similar to a loose seal, but resulting in more consistent airflow and bass attenuation.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #124 of 578
i see, should be somewhat identical to loose seal then, makes it like the ambriose tip Rin made a while back perhaps. I personally don't like how loose seal/tips like these tame bass, but ymmv. While covering the back vents may make the bass sound dull, that pinhole may make all the difference. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #125 of 578
$271?? How do I get that deal?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #128 of 578
Mar 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #129 of 578
  I've never tried this service - is it pretty reputable? Am I looking at around $330 shipped to the USA?

Also - what is the time frame for shipping with EMS?

It is very reputable.
Yes, around 335$.
EMS usually takes 1-2 weeks to pretty much anywhere.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #131 of 578
  i see, should be somewhat identical to loose seal then, makes it like the ambriose tip Rin made a while back perhaps. I personally don't like how loose seal/tips like these tame bass, but ymmv. While covering the back vents may make the bass sound dull, that pinhole may make all the difference. 

So far, I like it A LOT. I'll also try the back vent mod though.

Two additions to my prior "j444 mod" post:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit #1: I thought it was obvious from the pics, but just for clarification: You need to cut the stripe off the cap, not the stem. The latter is too thick for this mod and will result in too much leakage.

Edit #2: If possible, use Ultimate Ears TF10 tips. JVC's stock tips are soft and comfy, but to my ears they introduce a tiny bit of detail blur. Has nothing to do with the mod, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #133 of 578

It is very reputable.
Yes, around 335$.
EMS usually takes 1-2 weeks to pretty much anywhere.

Just went up another $20 - price bouncing up and down like mad....

It is like the stock market - buy on the dip.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #135 of 578
It's finally HERE and in my ears!!! And YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! 
etysmile.gif
   This is how I dreamed (wished) the FX700 would have sounded like when I first had them. The bass sounds about as big as I remember in the FX700, but tighter and moe refined. The hot treble has been toned down some to my liking. I think the overall sound is a bit more refined. In freakin--- credible sound, but one that I was familiar with the FX700, but the FX850 takes it to the next level. And NO RECESSED MIDS!!  <<< my biggest gripe with the FX700. Wow wow wow!! Yes, I'm hyping them!! 

Now I happen to have the AS-2, and I think it keeps up with the FX850 with vocals (thinking this may change with the woodie burn-in), but the FX850 is otherwise ahead of the game. And I've heard no dynamic fast other than the TE-05. Huge wide sound! For $300 it's actually a BARGAIN fellas! If you can find it at $288 to $300 don't hesitate, but it's worth $400 easily in sound too. Happy listening indeed! 

And ooooh that timbre! Nothing else like it in an earphone.

I think the FX850 may actually have a bigger sound than the FX700.

This is an audiophile basshead's wet dream! I'm just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back