JVC HA-FX1X Xtreme Xplosive Impressions
Jan 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #61 of 359

Quote:
First of all, sorry if I bumped up an old thread, but I just wanted to put my opinion of this bass monster out there.

I just registered here to say that the JVC HA FX1X has got the deepest bass I have ever heard in my life, on top of the pretty much transparent mids and sparkly highs. Some would say the mids are recessed, because on many, if not all IEMs/headphones that I've tried, I often have to turn down the 1khz notch by around 3 to 5 decibels or so. With these however, I never had to turn it down, not even when its fresh out of the package.

And yes I can also confirm that the treble does open up in a short amount of time (25 to 50 hours I suppose, but at the time of posting, mine's already got like 2 to 3 weeks of heavy usage already).

The first time I put these on I just couldn't believe how deep the bass went. It's not a bloated kind of bass either; it was very comfortable to listen to. I've never heard anything produce bass in this manner before. It rumbles your eardrums but at the same time it doesn't have the bass (or midbass) hump that induces headaches in people. It's just very, very relaxing/pleasing to listen to. The bass on these is pretty much bottomless, and it goes well down to 20 Hz.

The JVC HA-FX1X also does come with its bad sides as well; the upper mids / treble. 

Once these have opened up, the treble / upper mids start to become sibilant and tinny.

I opened up SineGen and found that it was peaking in several areas. There were 2 main peaks in the sound signature - one at 3350 Hz and another at 5200 Hz. There's also 2 more at around 7500 Hz (roughly, I can't remember where exactly this one was) and another at around 9000 hz. The latter two peaks are more or less harmless and contribute to the soundstaging and separation of instruments on the JVCs. The former two (3350 and 5200 Hz) however, were the culprits that caused some of you to have transient tinnitus after listening through these over an extended period of time.

These 2 peaks aren't just small peaks in the sound signature. They are extremely huge in amplitude (at LEAST 5 db spike; to my ears they sound like 8db spikes as compared to the surrounding frequencies, and also as compared to 1khz as reference). The peak isn't that large in bandwidth however; the 3350 hz peak for example stops completely at around 2900 hz and 3600 hz (by 'stop' I mean it goes back to 'normal' amplitude, again, with reference to 1khz and the surrounding frequencies).

Now, before anyone jumps the gun, I'd first like to say that this is also just a PERSONAL conclusion that I've reached about the flaws that the JVC HA FX1X has, which is also why I'd like people to also experiment and find out if my findings regarding the peaks in the sound signature were true or not (it might just be my ears that are picky).

Note that, fresh out of the box (i.e. pre-burn in), these problems were non-existent.

Before I end this post, I'd just like to point out that I'm NOT using my JVCs un-equalized (those peaks are just too unbearable for me), in case anyone asks. I mainly use the EQ to have those two main peaks (3350 and 5200hz) minimized, but not eliminated completely to ensure surrounding frequencies are not damped too much.

Anyhow, I would recommend these if you're a basshead and also have a good EQ to tune down those skinny but huge peaks in the upper mids/treble. The bass on these is just ridiculous for 20 dollars.

EDIT: Merry xmas and happy new years everyone!

I've always found that ridiculous bass is quite easy to find in the sub-$50 category range. The entire cheap IEM/headphone market is marketed towards heavy bass (and practically nothing else) and plenty of people seem content with that, hence why Skullcandy/beats/etc are such huge companies. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #62 of 359
After reading this thread I couldn't help but purchase a pair. I'm a fan of bass also after reading about the burn in period.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #64 of 359
Hello friends! I haven't had a decent in-ear pair , and after reading the JVC XX reviews I just ordered them. I like bass in my music and I can't wait to try them! I wanted to ask you if you believe that a headphone amp is a good idea for this particular model? or is it not really needed?

I plan to use them with my Macbook Pro when I'm working from internet cafe's etc!

Please let me know, thank you! Looking forward to learning more about headphones, amps, etc!

Thanks in advance
George

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #67 of 359
Oh I forgot to mention. The HAFX1X absolutely need a solid burn in. I would go for at least a weeks worth if not a bit more. 50 hours to get it proper around 100 to make sure. On open box they are not gonna sound too good...

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #68 of 359
Thanks for the tip! is there any specific type of music recommended for earphones burn-in or should I just put my music library on repeat and let it run for a couple days? :)

Edit: just found the faq at http://www.head-fi.org/t/56744/headphone-burn-in-faq , disregard my question :)

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #69 of 359
At this price point I think I'll give these a try. I'm looking for something with more bass but forward vocals. People describe the soundmagic E10's as "monsters" or even bass heavy, for me that is very far from the truth. Although I'm not an audiophile they are a long way from bass monsters for me. My main concern is having all the fun and energy at low listening levels as I don't like cranking my music up at all. Can anyone tell me how good these are with isolation, whether they need an amp and can I listen at low listening levels? I find with the E10, to get some "magic" (see what I did there :p) I need to increase the volume to levels I am uncomfortable with. Also how are vocals for genres such as pop? Does the bass completely drown it out or is it complimentary?

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #70 of 359

Quote:
At this price point I think I'll give these a try. I'm looking for something with more bass but forward vocals. People describe the soundmagic E10's as "monsters" or even bass heavy, for me that is very far from the truth. Although I'm not an audiophile they are a long way from bass monsters for me. My main concern is having all the fun and energy at low listening levels as I don't like cranking my music up at all. Can anyone tell me how good these are with isolation, whether they need an amp and can I listen at low listening levels? I find with the E10, to get some "magic" (see what I did there :p) I need to increase the volume to levels I am uncomfortable with. Also how are vocals for genres such as pop? Does the bass completely drown it out or is it complimentary?

For the price these are completely worth a try..These buggers have some of the best quality and quantity of bass without sacrificing too much Sq.  In other words yes you get forward mids and the highs are not weak either.. I hate improper bassy earphone where everything is sacrificed for big bass. Now to get them to a proper sounding state I can't emphasize just how important burn in is to these earphones..There are some earphones that don't do a thing with burn but these do.. Isolation wise they have a big open port on the back side so it doesn't isolate as well as it could if these was closed design. now when you have some tunes playing isolation is about average for earphones. 

I remember like it was yesterday when I first got these I was one of the first people to try them out as I am a big JVC fan and I almost sent them packing but decided to burn them in.  On open box they sounded cheap as in too much bloaty bass and everything else recessed..A day later the mids appeared..A few days after that the highs got definition. It was like magic. Burn in is key..

Now if you want something a bit more high end.. I just got a pair of these for my B day.. Oh lordy. ATH-CKS77s. Solid bass. The JVCs actually have the bigger mid bass punch but these have the sub bass like no other. Plus you get clear and defined highs and mids with no bleed of any type. These are a blast to listen to music with my favorites for EDM and Hiphop. Think a more refined HAFX1X and you get these..I think I am the only person here at headfi that own these.. I have read a few reviews about the older versions but from what I understand they were lacking in some parts of the sound. These don't. I took a chance on these earphones but these were easily worth the $100 price.  Give them HAFX1X a go and later on when you want a proper higher end bassy iem try these out. I can't recommend a better earphone for bass lovers and discerning listeners alike.. After hearing these CKS77s everything else seems kinda lacking. The JVCs remain one of my faves for bassy tunes however. Give them a go.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #71 of 359
Ive always wanted to try an audio technica headphone/earphone. I was looking at the cks90 just last week, but there are a complete lack of reviews. Have you written a full review for the cks77? If not you should. I certainly would be looking forward to reading it. Also a comparison with the jvc's would be nice. Problem I have with the jvc is the packaging, once I open it I cant return it and if the sound quality isn't good enough for me then I would've wasted money as I need to sell the e10's and Im looking up the fischer eternas. Jvc also make some headphones in the xtreme range, I wonder how they compare?

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #72 of 359
I would try those JVCs from Amazon. They have a nice return policy.  All you have to do is mention there is a problem with the earphones. For example I just returned a new pair of Pioneer earphones as the driver flex was unreal. I suppose it was a legitimate problem but the packaging was just like the JVCs. A one time open deal. They let me return it for full refund no problems. If you want a more in depth report on the CKS77. It is on my CKM50 thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/592457/the-ath-ckm50-the-ckm-family-impressions-new-ath-cks77-pg-56/840#post_8183536  I was interested in the CKS90 myself. However. There is a reason why Audio Technica at the 2012 CES had these CKS77s on display and not the CKS90..

Here is what I know about newer iterations of earphones and headphones from Audio Technica. I have seen time and time again where they fix issue of previous iterations.. Believe it or not I honestly think these CKS77s are actually what AT had in mind when they developed the CKS50,70,90s.. I know the CKS90s are supposed to be the tops in the CKS but this is what AT does.
With every newer version they improve the sounds. For example. Everyone knows what the ATH-A900 full sized headphones are.. One of the main complaints of this headphone was the lack of bass or too neutral. SO what they did on the new A900X? They put better bass on them and they now have the best sound for the AT900s.  The Solid bass headphones the WS50,WS70..Didn't get much fan fare as these were more or less prototypes for the Solid bass line. SO they created the WS55 which from what I understand is better version of the portable solid bass series portables..

Which leads me to the CKS77..Reading some old reviews of the older CKS70s the mids was hollow and highs a bit lacking was the report.. I can tell you there is nothing lacking on the CKS77s. You can read more about it on my thread but for the $100 they want for one of these. The CKS77s are too awesome for words..

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #73 of 359
I bought the HAFX1X after reading glowing reports here, however its very large size gives me fit problems. It is too long and sticks out of my ears. I tried all the tips that came with it, and other tips I have, and I still can't get it to fit as tight as I would want. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 also has strong bass, however its bass sounds more natural than the HA-FX1X, and imo the HJE450 also has better midrange and treble. The HJE450 fits me very well. I also bought the $8 JVC Riptidz, and was surprised that it has a decent amount of bass and sounds quite decent for the price.Not as much bass as the HJE450 though.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #74 of 359
Reading your review on the cks77 really got me hyped. It sounds exacly like what Im looking for, but I said the same things when I decided to purchase the E10's and was left very dissappointed in that department. Just wish there were more reviews, especially from joker. Would've been interesting to see how they would've stacked up to the ridiculous amount of other IEM's he has tried. I'll check the account tomorrow and if everythings ok I think I'll take the plunge. I'm thinking of getting it from accessoryjack.com. Anybody tried them and are they reliable? Their prices are super cheap. I think I'll pass on the JVC's. I wouldn't feel comfortable lying to amazon about a defect that doesn't exists.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #75 of 359

Quote:
Reading your review on the cks77 really got me hyped. It sounds exacly like what Im looking for, but I said the same things when I decided to purchase the E10's and was left very dissappointed in that department. Just wish there were more reviews, especially from joker. Would've been interesting to see how they would've stacked up to the ridiculous amount of other IEM's he has tried. I'll check the account tomorrow and if everythings ok I think I'll take the plunge. I'm thinking of getting it from accessoryjack.com. Anybody tried them and are they reliable? Their prices are super cheap. I think I'll pass on the JVC's. I wouldn't feel comfortable lying to amazon about a defect that doesn't exists.

Well you gotta understand one thing about Joker. He also has a sound preference and his scores are based off of his preference. While he does a great job with all of his reviews. It comes down to what you prefer in your sound. What I described in the CKS77 is what I am hearing. The reason why there is not much about these CKS77s are 2 fold. For one the older CKS70 were reviewed here at headfi and was shoveled under the rug of sorts because there was nothing to too fantastic about them..Those were the prototypes for these CKS77s. The reason why these were at ATs booth at CES was they did a fantastic job with them which brings me to another point these are relatively new there is not much written about them at all. The only info I found was a bunch of translated google reviews from Japanese Amazon and one advertisement that says these newer CKS77s are clearly better than the previous high end CKS90s. I believe this to be true as well. I was considering getting a CKS90s but I have a feeling these CKS77s are actually better than those. I have no idea just how they can actually improve upon these CKS77s to be honest for this type of sound.

While I don't have as much experience with earphones like joker does, I go for earphones with sound signatures I prefer. I know bassy iems and I have yet to hear a bassy iem quite like the CKS77s..These are simply a higher end bassy iem to the likes I have never heard before..So ultimately if you like how I described the sound of the CKS77.. I would try one. I will not recommend a dud to a fellow heafier. As far as accessory Jack. That is a solid price and a good place to buy them..They are authorized AT dealers and have a solid reseller rating. I know many a headfiers that have bought stuff from there with no issues. Good luck and let others know on my CKM50 thread about them once you get them. People need to hear these. These are just too good for others not to hear.

Sorry heatfan for jacking the thread. Everyone back on topic. The HAFX1X. Burn them pups!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back