jvc fxt90 vs top monster or shure offerings
Mar 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a new iem for use with my sansa clip+ and iphone 4 without an amp.
I already know that i prefer the sound of dynamic driver iems above ba ones because they just sound more natural to me.
So far i rather liked the monster turbine pro copper although that iem was a bit boring and not too engaging in the end.
So after delving once more into ljokerls thread the monster miles davis seemed to be the way to go. But since i am a european and monster iems seem tobe difficult to get here i hesistated for a while.
The shure se535 was also interesting but i owned the se530 for quite a time and i think i would prefer the dynamic driver sound.
Today when re-reading the multi-iem review thread i noticed something i had not noticed before, multi-dynamic driver iems like the jvc 90.
I must say that i am extremely interested in this iem but would like to know if anyone has listened to this iem and compared it to the monster turbine pro, miles davis ore top of the line hsure offerings?
What are your opinions?
Thanks in advance
Greetings, Anouk,

May 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't miss my MTPCs now that I have the fxt90. Even my beloved EX1000s are going back into the box. Cheap enough to be an everyday IEM, and sounds good enough for it not to be a compromise.

May 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 12
I like the FXT90 but find I prefer the MDR-7550 more and if you thinking Miles Davis for the mids you mIgh really like the 7550. Personally between the mids and treble I think the 7550 is a clear step up on the FXT90 BUT it is also a lot more money, so if budget is a concern the FXT90 does more things right than wrong and may be just the ticket for you. Btw I ended up getting rid of my MTPC for similar reasons to you I think in regards to not being exciting enough.

May 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Forgot to mention on thing. If isolation is important the 7550 are probably a no and the FXT90 are not great either but definitely better. The 7550 are just about the most comfortable IEM I have ever owned though. But that is also a subjective thing that won't apply to everyone.

May 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 12
try brainwavz m4 if you want an alternate choice for the fxt90. i listened to both of those iems last time and i preferred the sig of the m4 than the fxt90. my friend said it sounds like a "mini" tf10 because it has a bit more pronounced mids. but i find the sound sig somewhat balanced.

ymmv

May 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Forgot to mention on thing. If isolation is important the 7550 are probably a no and the FXT90 are not great either but definitely better. The 7550 are just about the most comfortable IEM I have ever owned though. But that is also a subjective thing that won't apply to everyone.

I thought westone's were the most comfortable. You mentioned though comfort is subjective, which i agree.

May 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 12
The reason I like the 7550 so much is they have pretty much ZERO ear pressure and ZERO microphonics. Don't ask me how that's possible since I am cramming a silicone tip in my ear still but that's what I notice with them and I have actually got to the point where I can't stand anything less than that in my ears.

May 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
The reason I like the 7550 so much is they have pretty much ZERO ear pressure and ZERO microphonics. Don't ask me how that's possible since I am cramming a silicone tip in my ear still but that's what I notice with them and I have actually got to the point where I can't stand anything less than that in my ears.

Yep the only reason why I retired my EX1000s temporarily is due to the wind noise. Otherwise they almost disappear once you put them on.
basshead.gif

May 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 12
The 7550 is pretty much the exact same style as the EX600/1000 and is a whopping 16mm dynamic driver.

The wind noise is definitely an issue with them but I quite often live with it and on non windy days they are awesome.

Sound wise the 7550 differs from the EX series in that it has much more forward mids and not as strong a treble. The music definitely feels more intimate due to the mids but it still has an above average soundstage for an IEM. The fxt90 also has an above average sound stage too. Neither are massive though but definitely above average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back