JV5 TUBE AMP (Dared MP5)
Jan 24, 2010 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15
One of my favorite little tube amps. The JV5 now at ALO. Push speakers, a great headphone amp and a built in DAC! Uses 2 6922/6DJ8 tubes! Only $349!!

JV5small.jpg

JV5side.jpg

JV5back.jpg

JV5close.jpg

No goofy graphics printed on the front!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 15
wow i'm impressed, especially with the price tag. this is indeed an all in one solution: DAC, power amp for speakers and amp for headphones! definitely will be keeping an eye on this....

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrnoex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, two short questions: Is this amp strong enough for the JohnBlue JB3 Speakers and how's the synergy with your modified Ultrasone HFI-780?

Hi,

We have the JV5 working with the JB5s and Audioengine P4s, great match!

I have not tried it with the modded HFI-780s but sound great with the stock ones. Its a sweet little amp.

Thanks
ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 15
my roommate bought it from 32ohm, it sounded really great with the john blues. i think they are a great match.

does anyone know how the john blue speakers compare to the audio engine p4's? ive been really curious about this. i used to own the john blue's and thought they were incredible. how does the audioengines compare? im trying to decide between the john blues, but i'd like to get the p4's instead if they are close to the john blues.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 15
Oh this is a good time to introduce the ALO speakers me and my shop mate are rolling out. They are small bookshelf speakers, single 3" drivers. We are making them out of Bamboo but these seen here are Jatoba, solid wood cabinet construction, and dual rear ports. approx 9 x 5.5 x 4.5. They sound great with plenty of bass.

The JV5 and iPod dock with these speakers are sweet. Retail for the Bamboo will be $289 a pair. I will be posting more info and photos on in a new thread later next week.

ALOspeakers.jpg

Thanks

ken

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 15
hi...
can i use this with my audio engine a5 and ipod as source...
will this make a change in the sound?
audioengine a5 has its own built in amp already...would this increase the sound quality of my ipod with them?

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
hi...
can i use this with my audio engine a5 and ipod as source...
will this make a change in the sound?
audioengine a5 has its own built in amp already...would this increase the sound quality of my ipod with them?

HI Pinoman

No sorry your A5s are powered are no not meant to work with another amp.

Thanks

Ken

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 15
Hello,
Does it handle 220V and if yes, do you ship the version accordingly with the destination country ?
Thank you !
Lionel

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Who makes this JV5? is there a site i can see more specs?

Also can it power Klipsch RB-61 II speakers?

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 15
I have the Dared MP5.... which looks exactly like this amp. It's the same amp, right? Mine though use different tubes. They are 12AX7, came stock with some not so nice Ruby Con 12AX7s. I have replaced them with Tung Sol 12AX7s which I much prefer.  Are the 6922/6DJ8 the same pin-type as the 12AX7s, or are these just refitted differently?

I have a newer version of the MP5 (new international version) which uses different tubes from the two older versions I know (Chinese version and US version).

Anyway, it's a bit late for the other people who asked here, but the MP5 I have definitely has enough juice for the K701. Incidentally, it has enough juice for the K1000, which I used to drive from this baby. The stock Ruby tubes sounded great with the K701, very airy soundstage, but the Tung Sols I used with them were much better, kept the same airy soundstage but added some extra warmth to the low end.  I don't know how these sound with the 6922/6DJ8's.  

As for specs, what I know is the speaker outs are 13W/channel, so check if that works with your Klipsch speakers.

By the way, the MP5 generally is a bright-sounding amp. I usually love it best with my darker sounding gear like the LCD2, Beats Solo HD, M50, SRH750, HD650, and my custom modded SR80 (which is darker than you'd ever imagine).

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #15 of 15
The ALO audio/Fatman versions are now 25w per channel.

Anyone have any good suggestions for some speakers for this amp?

I was looking at the Klipsch RB-51 II, does anyone know if this will work well with it? they are 50w RMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back