Just Starting
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cocoflojo12

New Head-Fier
Hello, i am a new user of the site and saw that every one is very helpful at recommending headphones 

So i was wondering if you could help me find some new headphones 

I don't know much about mids and highs and lows and whatever, but i would like for most things to be even and for nothing too intense in the bass department 

Here are my requirements:

- around or under $200 
- i listen to mostly classic rock (like Kansas, and BOC), but i also listen to a lot of jazz and ska/reggae 
- i would like a closed back design 
- no need for a stereo adapter, hard case, anything too fancy, they don't even need to look too nice (for casual use only)
- they need to have a good build (sturdy) (i tend to be rough with my things, i try to be gentle, but sometimes i forget)

if theres anything else you would like to know to find me a better fit just ask 

And also thank you so much to those who help me,
Cocoflojo12

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Get off my lawn you darn kids!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzb-sduiWc[/VIDEO]

As far as the recommendation for closed-back and under $200, the two most commonly recommended phones would probably be the Audio Technica ATH-M50X and the Shure SRH-840. Of those two, I would probably choose the Shure, but many other people would probably disagree with me. If you don't mind a little DIY, you could also check out the threads about modding the Fostex T50RP.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II are a very very good can in that price range for rock music. That'd be what I would be going for if I went closed.

V-Moda M80 and the Audio Technica ESW9 are worth looking into as well.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 9
The HD 25-1 II's sound perfect for what you want, not too bassy and sound great for those genres. While not too beautiful, they're practically indestructible.

Source: I own them.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, sorry - serious reply now :) I can only echo what the previous two posters said about the HD-25-1 II. Owned a pair for many years myself, before switching to Sennheiser Amperiors, which I also rate highly. Sennheiser have discontinued the Amperior, but they can still be found widely online. They also introduced the HD-25 Aluminium, presumably as a replacement for the Amperior.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 9
Can't go wrong with ATH-M50X. The mentioned HD25 is also a good choice but the soundstaging on it isn't great. ATH-M50X is better in that department. Bass on it isn't too "intense" not muddy but punchy and deep.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Although it's been mentioned earlier, yet again, I will re-iterate and agree with the others that the Senneheiser HD 25i-II sounds like a good match for you, perfect balance between lows, mids, highs, closed back that isolates very well, and incredibly durable (I've sat on these MANY times 
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back