Just received DT880's....WOW!
Apr 29, 2010 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

c12mech

100+ Head-Fier
After only about 30 minutes I absolutely love these things.
dt880smile.png

They are the 250 ohm version from 2003 according to the seller, also a member here. I am listening through a cmoy and ipod dock for now. Hopefully everything will get here next week for my new SSMH amp. I can't wait to here these with a proper amp and source.

I now understand the whole "sorry for your wallet" saying. Buy good cans, need better amp. Buy better amp, need better source. And so on and so forth.

Miles Davis has never sounded better. It actually sounds like cymbals being hit and not just a crashing sound.

I can even here what others have said about these really telling how bad the source material is. I guess now it's time to stay ripping everything to loss-less.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Congrats on your new cans! Beyers are one of the few brands I haven't tried out yet so they're always at the top of my mind.

And tell me about it, I finally looked at my bank balance for the first time since I joined this site and that scared me enough to hold out on some great deals on the FS section.

Well... for this month anyways
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 13
Congrats !! DT880 is a nice can indeed. I owned it (600 ohms) for a brief period in 2006. Now you buy some good music, sit and enjoy. Let you be free from upgraditis, at least for now.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 13
I've been listening to them for almost 2 hours now and they just keep getting better. I've heard things on recordings I've had for years that I never noticed before.

I don't plan to upgrade these for a while, just a better amp and source.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 13
Excellent phones in general. Never cared for them with music though.. I did have the 250 ohm model though. Prefer the DT48/DT990 over them. But the DT880 were always my go to cans for gaming and movies. They just get it right in those two areas, better then other phones I owned in those two areas. DT990. DT48. AD700. 650. SA5000. 701. etc.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

I promise you, the temptation of upgrading the the 600ohm version will get to you sooner or later
wink.gif

Don't do it! Run now, while you are happy. Delete this URL from your favorites. Clean out your browsing history! Go enjoy your music!!!

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 13
The DT880s are definitely on my to-buy list some time in the near future. Just need to get a decent amp first, lol.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by c12mech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now understand the whole "sorry for your wallet" saying. Buy good cans, need better amp. Buy better amp, need better source. And so on and so forth.

You should have run while there was still hope
tongue.gif
you have crossed the edge of a steep and slippery slope.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 13
The DT880s are great headphones. Congratulations. I would advise you to sign off HeadFi now and enjoy them for a few months. Save your wallet.

U still here?

I liked my DT880s so much, I had to buy the Beyer T1s. They are similar the DT880s, only better at everything except comfort and the price. They are 3 times more costly, noticably better, but not even close to 3 times better. I liked the T1 some much, I bought the Senn HD800. Even better headphones in my opinion, but not better in every way. Plus they are 50% more expensive but only slightly better. Sold my DT880s Tuesday.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880s are great headphones. Congratulations. I would advise you to sign off HeadFi now and enjoy them for a few months. Save your wallet.

U still here?

I liked my DT880s so much, I had to buy the Beyer T1s. They are similar the DT880s, only better at everything except comfort and the price. They are 3 times more costly, noticably better, but not even close to 3 times better. I liked the T1 some much, I bought the Senn HD800. Even better headphones in my opinion, but not better in every way. Plus they are 50% more expensive but only slightly better. Sold my DT880s Tuesday.

LOL...this place is sinister.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 13
i got the dt 880 250 ohms about a year ago, and the alessandro ms2i later. the ms2i floored me with its sound, but after a while, i began to get listener's fatigue. that's when i went back to the dt 880 and i began to realize it had the same or better level of detail, but the comfort, and sound imaging was at another level. i began to use it so much until the ms2i became the neglected headphone...

so the beyer dt 880 love in my case was not an instant thing. i just kinda grew on me. in fact, i got so impressed with the beyer signature that i sold off the ms2i (which found a more deserving owner) and brought the dt 990 without an audition
biggrin.gif

you are going to love it more as time goes by... that's what happened, at least in my case...

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 13
I never owned a pair of beyer cans, but recently i had the opportunity to test them hooked to my amp! The highs are very detailed and the soundstage is awesome. Im saving money to get a pair soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back